The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Last Tango in halifax has become a huge hit for BBC 1. No one expected this to happen. BBC 1 didnt even have Last Tango in halifax in their Autumn 2012 drama trailer. They were plugging Hunted and The Paradise so much that ironically its Tango which got little promotion that has ended up becoming their biggest hit.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Last Tango in halifax has become a huge hit for BBC 1. No one expected this to happen. BBC 1 didnt even have Last Tango in halifax in their Autumn 2012 drama trailer. They were plugging Hunted and The Paradise so much that ironically its Tango which got little promotion that has ended up becoming their biggest hit.

Call The Midwife also was not greenlit instantly either and gently made its way on screen. Strangely these programmes would seem to me to appeal to ITV's core populist Coronation Street audiences.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    And if C4 really now consider themselves out of the drama game at 10pm why not be bold and give Adam Hills or someone the chance of a nightly talk show - they're probably not going to commission that for 11pm, but at the moment there is nothing in the schedules stopping them doing it at 10pm.

Funny you say that, his Christmas special is on Sunday 30th December.... at 11:05pm.

Although to be fair, it has the Big Fat Quiz of the Year as a lead-in, but still, a stupid slot.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Scheduling News
    Channel 5 will simulcast an auditions episode of new season American Idol on the main channel.

The two-hour series premiere airs Thursday 17th January at 8pm on 5*. Episode 2 will follow Friday 18th January at 10pm on both Channel 5 and 5*, after Celebrity Big Brother: Live Eviction.

Good idea. Assuming their repeating the first episode a lot the next few days following for those who start with the simulcast to catch up? Is BOTS cancelled that night then?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    It's always the quiet ones. I love how Last Tango became a hit without acres of promotion like most of the other dramas during The Olympics. It kept on getting rescheduled and look at it now. A great success story.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Call The Midwife also was not greenlit instantly either and gently made its way on screen. Strangely these programmes would seem to me to appeal to ITV's core populist Coronation Street audiences.

It's always the quiet ones. Even with the 1st episode of Call The Midwife it was on the same day as the finale of Sherlock. Most people assumed Sherlock would get the higher rating. Just everybody expected a Lark Rise sized 7/8m in the final ratings. Took us all by surprise.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea. Assuming their repeating the first episode a lot the next few days following for those who start with the simulcast to catch up? Is BOTS cancelled that night then?

I'm not keen as Channel 5 have done this before with 5* simulcasts and it has ended in low ratings for the main channel. I'm assuming CWP has been delayed until the following week?

I think Channel 4 would be wise to do a UK version of Adam Hill's Australian chatshow as I think the Last Leg wouldn't work outside of a sport setting. Maybe alternate in the months when Alan Carr isn't on.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Tango is hitting New Tricks heights, I think this was another surprise for the BBC, it was not as heavily promoted as The Paradise, like to think ITV giving BBC one some competition but its coming from BBC Two instead

I think ITV giving BBC1 a run for its money since about 2008/2009 gave their drama department the kick up the backside it needed. Especially when the blockbuster Downton Abbey arrived.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Tuesday night drama used to be massive on ITV with shows like Peak Practice and Soldier Soldier

It seems as if this is the night when ITV falls asleep, but if they start anything new and promising in Tuesday night slots it will be interrupted every two weeks by football. Yet this shouldn't be a problem as The Bill co existed with the ECL for over 10 years, though I suppose ITV also now have England and the FA Cup to add to the football rights.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 12th January 2013 - Provisional Schedules
    BBC One
    17:30 - Animal Antics
    18:00 - Secret Service
    18:45 - Britain's Brightest
    19:55 - In It To Win It
    20:45 - Casualty
    21:35 - Mrs Brown's Boys (r)
    22:05 - BBC News & Weather
    22:25 - Match Of The Day

ITV1
    18:00 - You've Been Framed!
    19:00 - Splash!
    20:30 - Take Me Out
    21:30 - The Jonathan Ross Show
    22:45 - ITV News & Weather

No excuses for Take Me Out in the New Year really, it may actually end up beating Casualty head-to-head or be very close to it. As I said last week, really unsure about BBC One's early evening line-up, whilst ITV1's purely depends on Splash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    BBC One

ITV1

No excuses for Take Me Out in the New Year really, it may actually end up beating Casualty head-to-head or be very close to it. As I said last week, really unsure about BBC One's early evening line-up, whilst ITV1's purely depends on Splash.

Completely underwhelming, only TMO seems to stand out and Splash has all the makings of being a flop. JR might benefit from a TMO lead in and whatever guests he has.
    The winner on that night will probably be Casualty, which usually experiences a bounce after TXF.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Completely underwhelming, only TMO seems to stand out and Splash has all the makings of being a flop. JR might benefit from a TMO lead in and whatever guests he has.
    The winner on that night will probably be Casualty, which usually experiences a bounce after TXF.

How do you know BBC1's schedules are underwhelming when no one has seen any of the shows yet? They might be really good!
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One

ITV1

I was going to say how nice it is to see two new early every BBC One programs other than Pointless.

Splash should do okay.

Ken
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    How do you know BBC1's schedules are underwhelming when no one has seen any of the shows yet? They might be really good!

Quite right wizzywick we must give things a chance! :D

Ken
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Watching Snow Babies on BBC1 and it was reported in Radio Times to be voiced by David Jason but it's not? Anyone know what went on there?
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from landing the Parlympics and the Grand National, I can't think of anything outstanding Channel 4 has done this year. Also their one really big hit, Gypsy Weddings, has been cancelled which will really hurt them next month. Oh well there's always more CDWM and DOND to fill the gaps.

They have quite a good few shows; Grand Designs, Location, MPD but bad scheduling wrecks their chances of scoring a decent audience.
    Channel 4 were probably right to ditch the summer BB, but they should have hung on to CBB, as a reasonable line up of celebs has been pulling in 2.5 million on Channel 5 and would attract a similar amount over 3 weeks on Channel 4.
    Maybe it's time also for them to look to getting in more sport after the success of the Paralympics and a big hit coming every April with the Grand National. I know the really big athletics contracts are with the BBC, but they can maybe put in a surprise bid for the FA Cup ans see if lesser athletics meetings can be available.

I think if C4 had kept the athletics, and made it work, it could have done quite well for them. Letting go of both BB's was a mistake as they no longer have the benchmarks that once controlled and guided their schedule. The whole C4 schedule at present looks a mess, with no clear direction and bits & pieces scattered everywhere. Not quite sure what Jay Hunt wanted to at C4, but if this was what she wanted to do, then they might want to let her go as it's backfiring spectacularly.

C4 might want to go for other sports rights like the American Football (Superbowl and Playoffs) or Football (maybe go down a 'Football Italia' style route with the Bundesliga).
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One

ITV1

TMO def. suffered from being up against SCD. Last series it got 4m + did it not? This time round it struggled to get 3m - when it returns in January they must surely be looking for a return to 4m..
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »
    Watching Snow Babies on BBC1 and it was reported in Radio Times to be voiced by David Jason but it's not? Anyone know what went on there?

His voice broke?

Or maybe he just does a damn good impression of Caroline Quentin.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

Is Secret Service the one where people play at being bodyguards. Cos if it is I fancy we'll soon all be screaming "Come back Don't Scare The Hare, all is forgiven".
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,128
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    TMO def. suffered from being up against SCD. Last series it got 4m + did it not? This time round it struggled to get 3m - when it returns in January they must surely be looking for a return to 4m..

Yes it did get 4m+, it was cracking 5m a number of times.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,128
    Forum Member
    A 'The Chase' celebrity special was filmed back in November, any broadcast date yet?

I've also been wondering about when the Catchphrase revival will be broadcast.

I've mentioned this a number of times. CBBC need to improve their string of new programming and stop showing repeats where new programming should be (Scooby Doo and Tracy Beaker are examples), once their block on BBC One ends on Friday. A Byker-Grove style drama is kind of what it needs. It does have the likes of 'The Dumping Ground' filling up the Friday schedule and the predecessor 'Tracy Beaker Returns' rated decently with over 700k in the overnights and ending up in the most popular on BBC iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blandings confimed by the BBC Media Centre for Sunday 13th January 6.30pm to 7 o'clock. So no Countryfile/Antiques Roadshow sandwich for it.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »

I've mentioned this a number of times. CBBC need to improve their string of new programming and stop showing repeats where new programming should be (Scooby Doo and Tracy Beaker are examples), once their block on BBC One ends on Friday. A Byker-Grove style drama is kind of what it needs. It does have the likes of 'The Dumping Ground' filling up the Friday schedule and the predecessor 'Tracy Beaker Returns' rated decently with over 700k in the overnights and ending up in the most popular on BBC iPlayer.

There's nothing wrong with repeats as CBBC cannot be 100% original all the time and if repeats still rate well, why not continue showing them. I think maybe have a block dedicated to new shows would work from 4-6pm which is the key time for children returning from school.
    iaindb wrote: »
    Blandings confimed by the BBC Media Centre for Sunday 13th January 6.30pm to 7 o'clock. So no Countryfile/Antiques Roadshow sandwich for it.

Not sure if I like that slot, it would do a lot better sandwiched between Countryfile and Call the Midwife.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    They have quite a good few shows; Grand Designs, Location, MPD but bad scheduling wrecks their chances of scoring a decent audience.

I think if C4 had kept the athletics, and made it work, it could have done quite well for them. Letting go of both BB's was a mistake as they no longer have the benchmarks that once controlled and guided their schedule. The whole C4 schedule at present looks a mess, with no clear direction and bits & pieces scattered everywhere. Not quite sure what Jay Hunt wanted to at C4, but if this was what she wanted to do, then they might want to let her go as it's backfiring spectacularly.

C4 might want to go for other sports rights like the American Football (Superbowl and Playoffs) or Football (maybe go down a 'Football Italia' style route with the Bundesliga).

BB was becoming too expensive and was coming to the end of its shelf life on Channel 4. They were right to finish it, but should maybe have kept the celeb one. However, I'm sure there was still more life in Wife Swap and Super Nanny, which were still doing well and could have been kept.
    Like you say, though, sport could be the future and they developed decent followings for sports they've done in the past.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snow Babies on BBC1 will get the iplayer ratings tonight :)
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    WillHill currently has odds at 5/2 for Shrek Forever After being the top rated film on Christmas Day. This is a fantastic chance to get an easy £20 with putting £50 on!
This discussion has been closed.