Options

Lilies

Comments

• Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A letter in this week's Radio Times asked about future plans . The answer was " but there's no word yet on a second series"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Hey everyone....

If you enjoyed Lilies, please go to the website and leave a comment. It is so sad that one of the best shows the BBC has ever produced is not being brought back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/drama/lilies/comments_acs.shtml
  • Options
    Tc7Tc7 Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done!!
  • Options
    raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just bloody typical of the BBC! A gem like this gets dropped and at the same time utter shite like Last of The Summer Wine goes on for ever!
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just bloody typical of the BBC! A gem like this gets dropped and at the same time utter shite like Last of The Summer Wine goes on for ever!
    The ironic thing about this is that if Lilies had been shown in the Sunday evening slot used by Last of the Summer Wine it would have had larger audiences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Lillies Was the best thing on Telly in ages, its not often you get something that good especially on Friday night when the TV programmes have always been C**P. it would be so good if there was a second series, as long as they returned with all the same actors and characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Just found this on Lilies website:

DVD News
    Good news. Acorn, the independent company involved with the production of Lilies, has indicated they will release a DVD on the 16th April 2007.
  • Options
    gadflygadfly Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has there been OFFICIAL word from the BBC about Lilies' chances for a second series? And does anyone know who you can write to, to find out this info (and then complain loudly, if necessary)? I can't believe I feel so irate about a TV show here, but Lilies was simply excellent and the story demanded a second airing. I need to know what happens to these characters, I really do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been word that Lilies has been canned - apparently not attracting the "right audience" - ie youngsters - How many youngsters watch Last of the summer wine?? look at
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2007/03/no_second_helpings_for_series.html
    If you are as angry as I am contact the controller of the Beeb directly
    peter.fincham@bbc.co.uk
  • Options
    Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Defairmans wrote:
    Hey everyone....

If you enjoyed Lilies, please go to the website and leave a comment. It is so sad that one of the best shows the BBC has ever produced is not being brought back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/drama/lilies/comments_acs.shtml
    Tc7 wrote:
    Done!!
    Ditto!
    peter.fincham@bbc.co.uk

Just finished emailing....hope he doesn't get indigestion from it Monday morning.
    (Actually I hope he does :D )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been word that Lilies has been canned - apparently not attracting the "right audience" - ie youngsters - How many youngsters watch Last of the summer wine?? look at
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2007/03/no_second_helpings_for_series.html
    peter.fincham@bbc.co.uk

Is the 'right audience' Flett's extrapolation or the actual reason the BBC have given for canning Lilies? I am so insulted!! I'm certainly no old fogey if that's what's being inferred - I just like good, stirring drama, whatever the period or genre.

And what makes the old fogey brigade such a poor audience anyway? They do pay their license fees as well and are a large and affluent market. Even then, these considerations should be irrelevant to a public service broadcaster whose remit is to cater for ALL consumers and tastes. Securing a 'desirable' consumer audience should only be a worry for commercially-driven channels who need to lure advertisers.

This begs the question: just what does the BBC want to be - a cool, 'yoof' channel? a haven for formulaic mindless drivel? an unnecessarily commercially-driven broadcaster? Clearly yes.

In fact the BBC is missing a trick, because by developing a distinctive property like Lilies, they could be building an ongoing brand with a much wider fanbase than they reckon (judging by the range of programme supporters who have flooded the comments page on the Lilies web site) - plus, the overseas market would LOVE Lilies, with its BBC heritage drama credentials. BIG MISTAKE.

AND, Lilies is only a mid-range budget show, about £700k per episode which is good value in period drama.

I'm definitely going to email Peter Fincham - not that I think it'll make a difference, as they've clearly lost the plot, but I want my voice to be heard for once. Bar press queries, I've never bothered the BBC over anything as a consumer, but I feel strongly on this one.
  • Options
    WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    Absolutely disgraceful decision! (Sorry to sound like Mrs Angry!)
    One of the best dramas for a long time, canned after one series. Typical BBC - to bring back crap like My Hero/My Family, for series after series, and can the one decent drama we've had in ages.

Can't help feeling that it was in the wrong timeslot. If it had been on at say, 8.30 on a Sunday night, it would have got higher ratings. The performances were first class, especially the three unknown female leads, and Brian McCardie's performance as Dadda was especially outstanding - BAFTA material in my POV.

I'll be emailing Peter Fincham - can't see it doing any good, but it'll be good to make my voice heard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gadfly wrote:
    Is the 'right audience' Flett's extrapolation or the actual reason the BBC have given for canning Lilies? I am so insulted!!

Yeah! Me too. I'm only 27! This is a drama for people of all ages. They just didn't give it a chance from the start by dropping it on Friday night.
    Securing a 'desirable' consumer audience should only be a worry for commercially-driven channels who need to lure advertisers.

That is exactly what I was thinking. You would think the BBC would be proud of this show, especially when at a time when they are be criticised for too much fluff telly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Woowookid wrote:
    The performances were first class, especially the three unknown female leads, and Brian McCardie's performance as Dadda was especially outstanding - BAFTA material in my POV.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks to NewKidOntheBlok for the email address. Everyone get writing!
  • Options
    tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    disgusting its being axed , we should all boycott paying our liscence fees,
    does the beeb stand for lack of quality theese days ?
  • Options
    WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    Defairmans wrote:
    I couldn't agree more. Thanks to NewKidOntheBlok for the email address. Everyone get writing!

Yup!
    Thanks NewKidOntheBlok - did it today! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Defairmans wrote:
    Yeah! Me too. I'm only 27! This is a drama for people of all ages. They just didn't give it a chance from the start by dropping it on Friday night.

I noticed on Wikipedia today this bit of blurb:
    'Lilies was one of the BBC's best performing new dramas in recent months, with figures building to 4.5 million. The AI scores were extremely high, rising to 88 for the final episode. Despite the show's enthusiastic following, the BBC decided not to commission a second series on the grounds that it did not appeal to younger audiences.' [my bold]

The BBC really is chasing that 'cool, yoof' market then, isn't it? And clearly they think all Lilies's viewers were stuffy old fogies who they couldn't give a toss about. Kind of rude really.

Not to mention stupid.

Looking at comments from Lilies fans on the BBC Lilies web site, they seem to represent a broad demographic, spanning many ages. Maybe the BBC execs couldn't 'pigeon-hole' the show? Fit it neatly into a particular generic category with a pre-ordained tightly targeted audience ... But then again, if it's good telly, who cares? It's not like the BBC has to package product for advertisers' consumption. They should welcome a wide range of viewers, not alienate them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are most welcome!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a few email addresses for BBC execs involved in the decision-making processes that abandoned Lilies.

jane.tranter@bbc.co.uk
    julie.gardner@bbc.co.uk
    patrick.spence@bbc.co.uk
    george.dixon@bbc.co.uk

The BBC press office website offers a full list of personnel there and BBC emails work as above (mainly).
  • Options
    beatlesaintbeatlesaint Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gadfly wrote:
    Just a few email addresses for BBC execs involved in the decision-making processes that abandoned Lilies.

jane.tranter@bbc.co.uk
    julie.gardner@bbc.co.uk
    patrick.spence@bbc.co.uk
    george.dixon@bbc.co.uk

The BBC press office website offers a full list of personnel there and BBC emails work as above (mainly).

Thanks for that. Have e mailed them all and had a whinge. Also got off my chest the fact that Waterloo Rd and New Street Law seem to have been dropped this week as a result of football on Monday night. No problem with them showing the football but how the hell can a change of Monday's schedule impact on the rest of the week ?

Even ITV dont pull that one !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've written to everyone now. They are going to think I'm crazy, but they should be ashamed!

We should post any responses here in the unlikely event that we get them.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gadfly wrote:
    I noticed on Wikipedia today this bit of blurb:
    'Lilies was one of the BBC's best performing new dramas in recent months, with figures building to 4.5 million. The AI scores were extremely high, rising to 88 for the final episode. Despite the show's enthusiastic following, the BBC decided not to commission a second series on the grounds that it did not appeal to younger audiences.' [my bold]

The BBC really is chasing that 'cool, yoof' market then, isn't it? And clearly they think all Lilies's viewers were stuffy old fogies who they couldn't give a toss about. Kind of rude really.

If the BBC are justifying canning what was an excellent series with the justification that "it did not appeal to younger audiences" haven't they thought its because, at that time on a Friday night, the younger audience they so crave isn't actually watching tv? When I was in my late teens and early twenties, spending a Friday night in front of the tv would only happen when I'd run out of money!
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    I just don't understand their decisions. Especially as the article in the Radio Times when the programme started said that the set was designed to be a long term permanent one. Why spend the extra on a permanent set if they were going to take a decision like this in what appears to have been a slapdash way.

I've voiced my opinion on the website.
  • Options
    Tc7Tc7 Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive emailed the list of four.

Can people power get a second series?

Tc