How can we stop Militant Atheists?

coolfighter1993coolfighter1993 Posts: 96
Forum Member
I'm not religious, I'm an Agnostic. I don't know if there's a God.

But Militant Atheists are just as bad as the religious groups they fight.

Forcing their ideals on everyone just like some religious people.

Can it be banned?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, just like religion can't.

Best ignoring militant anyones. Concentrate on the folk in the middle, thats where the good uns are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been described as both a militant athiest and a militant agnostic. By the same poster. I have to admit I was confused.
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there was one particularly nasty one on the forums up until a few weeks ago but they got banned
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    Do I have to brandish a weapon to qualify as militant?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Another extremist who wants opinions banned.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No because banning opinions you disagree with makes you as bad as the extremist you want to gag. To steal a quote I saw on these boards.....
    I'd rather my snakes rattled than lay quiet
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like that Someone on DS.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Who will save us from the militant anti-militants?
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Militant Atheists are just as bad as the religious groups they fight.

Can it be banned?

I agree, atheism seems to have become a religion in itself. I've stopped describing myself as atheist now and just say I'm not religious instead. Of course, as a religion, atheism is afforded the same protections and cannot be banned.

Just for the record, I didn't put that link to a mobile phone advert into my post, DS did it.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can it be banned?

Not knowing if there's a God hardly puts you in a minority.
    As for militant atheists, just become someone who militantly doesn't give a f&^k.
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    I agree that some people appear to be trying to enforce atheism and don't respect anyone elses opinions and treat any of their critics even other atheists and agnostics like Taliban supporters.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can it be banned?

Isn't that a rather militant attitude ;)
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Forcing their ideals on everyone .

Can it be banned?

It seems hypocritical to force your ideals on someone you claim forces their ideals on others; if banning isn't forcing of ideals, what is it?
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    What about militant politics board posters? :eek:
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    It also annoys me that they claim an atheist world would be a better place. In complete historical denial about communist atheistic regimes and the French revolution. Atheists in those regimes closed down and demolished churches and executed religious figures and murdered the general population.

They were not religious or quasi religious regimes.. This is a ridiculous smear to try and blame religion for any bad regime by accusing it of acting like religion and then giving atheists credit for any positive changes when these were brought about by religious people as well (such as ending slavery and the health service, universal eductation etc)
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Can it be banned?

You rather blew you moderate, tolerant, credentials there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now THEM we can ban ;)
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    atheism can never be a religion or described as militant
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Can it be banned?

This is just a diversionary tactic by religious groups whose leaders just want the world to remain a set of patriarchies dominated by them.

It's like Tories blaming everything on the left-wing even though there hasn't been an even remotely left-wing government in this country for decades. How long do right of centre parties have to be in charge before any social problems their policies cause become their fault? You can say exactly the same thing about religious groups.

The reason atheists have plenty to criticise when it comes to religions is because there are plenty of easy targets to criticise. If it's not child abuse and inherent discrimination against certain social groups, it's anti-science propaganda. Every reasonable believer should be taking their our extremists to task rather than letting these people turn you against a group that is conveniently 'a bunch of foreigners'. They are using the same tactic on you that nations have used on their populations for centuries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atheism can never be a religion or described as militant

I think it can be described as militant. It has its aggressive proselytizers, but than again it has its really cute proponents like Arian Sherine, who makes up for all the wanky, obsessive ones.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    I think it can be described as militant. It has its aggressive proselytizers, but than again it has its really cute proponents like Arian Sherine, who makes up for all the wanky, obsessive ones.

If there was a rise in atheist attacks on religious people, then those blathering on about 'militant atheism' might have a case, but the harshest actions I've seen by these supposedly aggressive atheists are a few barbed words and some impatience.

Hardly in the same league as the September 11 attacks or the numerous inquisitions of the Catholic Church.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about militant trolls?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    What about militant trolls?

No those we have to live with :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what militant atheists are supposed to be. As far as I'm aware no atheist has blown himself up for their beliefs or killed doctors working in abortion clinics or lynched people with different coloured skin or set themselves on fire as a protest or encouraged the spread of HIV in Africa etc.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I am going to assume the OP means 'vociferous atheists' - in which case the answer is 'nothing' because they are entitled to be as vociferous as they like as long as they stay within the law.

I know it can be annoying when people bang on about stuff you don't agree with and put adverts on buses etc, but they really are allowed to do this and they are not actually hurting anyone.

:::files thread in the 'get a grip' section:::