The Conjuring Getting Stellar Reviews ... "Critically Acclaimed"

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree. While I don't believe any of the paranormal bobbins, I do find it disturbing that the mother might have had a mental health problem and a pair of crackpots saw fit to...
    perform an exorcism on her.

And that would've made it a more interesting film, IMO, than the unambiguous supernatural possession that we're given.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I loved it. It's classic horror at it's best.

Check out my review for it? http://buzzsauce.co.uk/reviews-2/the-conjuring-review-is-it-even-scary/
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    not to mention how annoying it is to have something as fantastical as this be presented as "based on a true story"...I definitely call bullshit on that claim!

The way I see it, 'based on a true story' to horror films is what 'Once upon a time...' is to fairy tales. It's just part of a genre. Not meant to be taken seriously.

Granted, almost all films - as well as fairy tales, nursery rhymes and popular tropes - usually contain scenes inspired by real-life incidents.
    In L.A. Confidential, the fight between police officers and inmates in the police station's cells is obviously based on the Bloody Christmas scandal.
    The economic crash in It's a Wonderful Life is based on the Crash of 1929.
    Perfect Blue was inspired by reports of a former pop singer's increasingly disturbing behaviour - during the making of her first acting job - and eventually, suicide (I forget her name, but she was popular during the 1980s). Edit: Yukiko Okada.
    But, there's no film that's 100% faithful to a true story or incident. Not even documentaries. So I think it's wise not to take 'based on a true story' seriously, especially in a horror film. :D

The purpose of me coming here:
    I missed a chance to see The Conjuring, so I'll have to wait until this autumn before I could see it on disc. What I would like to know is this: each of director James Wan's films tends to start out strongly in the first half and fall apart in the second half. Does The Conjuring suffer from this tendency?
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    The way I see it, 'based on a true story' to horror films is what 'Once upon a time...' is to fairy tales. It's just part of a genre. Not meant to be taken seriously.

Granted, almost all films - as well as fairy tales, nursery rhymes and popular tropes - usually contain scenes inspired by real-life incidents.
    In L.A. Confidential, the fight between police officers and inmates in the police station's cells is obviously based on the Bloody Christmas scandal.
    The economic crash in It's a Wonderful Life is based on the Crash of 1929.
    Perfect Blue was inspired by reports of a former pop singer's increasingly disturbing behaviour - during the making of her first acting job - and eventually, suicide (I forget her name, but she was popular during the 1980s). Edit: Yukiko Okada.
    But, there's no film that's 100% faithful to a true story or incident. Not even documentaries. So I think it's wise not to take 'based on a true story' seriously, especially in a horror film. :D

The purpose of me coming here:
    I missed a chance to see The Conjuring, so I'll have to wait until this autumn before I could see it on disc. What I would like to know is this: each of director James Wan's films tends to start out strongly in the first half and fall apart in the second half. Does The Conjuring suffer from this tendency?

I do agree that they usually do - but in comparison to Insidious I feel this one is far superior.

If you are expecting something "new" you will be disappointed, its fairly standard horror, but very good standard horror.

Its so subjective - I found it very interesting and jumpy - it certainly had some WTF moments but after all its a horror film you are watching so you do suspend belief. But IMO it didnt go down the Insidious road with the
    Darth Maul Demon and the bloody stupid visit to hell etc...

Its worth a view certainly, but its no mould breaker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Seen it. My view is that it is a very strongly directed movie. James Wan is one hell of a talent. The premise is interesting, but the script is meh.

My issue with the movie is that I'm absolutely worn out with the source material: Paranomal Activity, Last Exorcism, Devil Inside, The Rite etc have done this sort of thing to the death. Shame, because this is a much better movie. Had it come out in 2008 I would have jumped a lot more, but I was creeped out at times. Acting is high standard, as is the cinematography and old school score.

I think James Wan should really direct a Child's Play remake :D.
  • JumptheQueueJumptheQueue Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Im going to see this soon and really don't want to be scared! (im easily scared btw) can anyone tell me when to expect the
    woman on the wardrobe thing and the evil.clown please? Can you tell me what happens just before these things so i.can prepare myself lol!! :)
    Thanks in advance!
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish and the easiest and quickest exorcism I have ever seen. Sadly this film has been done 100's of times before and 100 times better..... was very poor
  • Beady Eye 2013Beady Eye 2013 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I went to see it last night, it was creepy and not boring but didn't scare me at all. I only like Zombie horrors if I want to be scared so I was never going to rate it much,
  • Beady Eye 2013Beady Eye 2013 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Im going to see this soon and really don't want to be scared! (im easily scared btw) can anyone tell me when to expect the
    woman on the wardrobe thing and the evil.clown please? Can you tell me what happens just before these things so i.can prepare myself lol!! :)
    Thanks in advance!

It is a doll actually and basically the doll is used as a tool to trick the girls that it is possessed when really it wanted the girls to possess.

The wardrobe thing I wouldn't be too scared about, it is just mind games at the point.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it last night, most people came out afterwards saying it wasn't scary and people were laughing at things that were meant to be scary like the mother and how she looked with the demon possessing her and one of the daughters being thrown around the room. In fact the only person who seemed to find it scary was the woman sitting beside me who was squeezing the life out of her partners hand and buried her face in his chest several times.

I thought it was pretty crap to be honest. I have yet to find a horror film that scares me. I think I'm just immune to them and end up pointing out the stupid things in it to my friends afterwards. Stellar reviews? Personally I thought it was total meh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Saw it last night, most people came out afterwards saying it wasn't scary and people were laughing at things that were meant to be scary like the mother and how she looked with the demon possessing her and one of the daughters being thrown around the room. In fact the only person who seemed to find it scary was the woman sitting beside me who was squeezing the life out of her partners hand and buried her face in his chest several times.

I thought it was pretty crap to be honest. I have yet to find a horror film that scares me. I think I'm just immune to them and end up pointing out the stupid things in it to my friends afterwards. Stellar reviews? Personally I thought it was total meh.

Got to admit, when i think back on the film i actually didn't find it at all scary, it built up the tension well (especially in the "what's under the bed/in the corner" scene), but it didn't really pay off in my opinion. Even my girlfriend didn't find it particularly scary, and she's a massive wuss when it comes to ghost story horror movies (we both thought last years Sinister was far better). It doesn't deserve all the 4 star reviews, it's a 3 star film at best for me.

Regardless though, It's still good to see R rated horror topping the box office, hopefully now that studios have seen that horror with an R rating can lead to a success they'll stop making soft PG-13 horrors that pander to tweens and are about as chilling as a wet kitten.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    It was good, well directed. Wouldn't say "critically acclaimed" but the best I've seen in a while.
    The acting, also, is WONDERFUL, from the two Warrens to all the girl actresses. They really did convey the fear well.
    I, too, seem quite immune to horrors but still had some jumps when she fell through the walls and the maid scene at the back door. I saw a lot of the others in the trailer (the clap, the wardrobe) but it was still done well and my cinema was mainly pissing themselves.
    I was happy the exorcism scene was short, as I find them the least scary.
    Would definitely recommend it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I must have watched a different film because to describe this as "critically acclaimed" is laughable to the extreme. Yes the acting was okay but it's not really a stretch to scream and cry in order to convey "scared". I found the entire thing boring and lacked any suspense. A few of the scenes with the children were scary to an extent but even then I just found myself thinking "everyone is going to survive this, aren't they?" Formulaic and with the extra scare at the end just when you think that everything is going to be ok. So predictable and I was disappointed with this film
  • PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I must have watched a different film because to describe this as "critically acclaimed" is laughable to the extreme. Yes the acting was okay but it's not really a stretch to scream and cry in order to convey "scared". I found the entire thing boring and lacked any suspense. A few of the scenes with the children were scary to an extent but even then I just found myself thinking "everyone is going to survive this, aren't they?" Formulaic and with the extra scare at the end just when you think that everything is going to be ok. So predictable and I was disappointed with this film

I'm sorry but I don't believe you.You're negativity sounds WAY too emphatic and its sounds like you had that in you before you even watched it.
    I'm all for people having thier own opinions but I can spot the "johnny opposite" attitude a mile off
    Forum Member
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't believe you.You're negativity sounds WAY too emphatic and its sounds like you had that in you before you even watched it.
    I'm all for people having thier own opinions but I can spot the "johnny opposite" attitude a mile off

I'm sorry but I don't care if you believe me or not. The film was crap. It could have been made for television. In fact, there's television programmes with less budget who out act and out scare this film.

I did go into it thinking I would like it. Believe whatever you like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't care if you believe me or not. The film was crap. It could have been made for television. In fact, there's television programmes with less budget who out act and out scare this film.

I did go into it thinking I would like it. Believe whatever you like.
    The film was far from crap...it may be your opinion but general audiences and critics loved it

Not only does it have a rotten tomatoes score of 86% (critics) it has an audience score of 85% based on 70 thousand people which is the highest a horror film has gotten in years from audiences. it got an A cinemascore from exit polls and a very strong 7.8 on imdb not just for a horror film, but for any genre.

Easily one of the strongest acted horror films i've seen in the last 2 decades
    Forum Member
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    The film was far from crap...it may be your opinion but general audiences and critics loved it

Not only does it have a rotten tomatoes score of 86% (critics) it has an audience score of 85% based on 70 thousand people which is the highest a horror film has gotten in years from audiences. it got an A cinemascore from exit polls and a very strong 7.8 on imdb not just for a horror film, but for any genre.

Maybe crap was a strong word I used because I felt like it had all been done before, numerous times before in fact.

Family move into big, creaky isolated house. Things start happening to the children. Dad goes off for work leaving them alone, more things start occurring. Call in the ghost busters, worse things start occurring. Someone gets possessed, have an exorcism. Things get even worse then suddenly everything is hunky dory. Then at then end when you think there's a happy ending, throw in that extra little scare for effect.

I stand by what I said. It was well acted to a point but it was formulaic and predictable and for a scary film, not all that scary.
  • PinkminxyPinkminxy Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a true horror movie fanatic, you'll most likely find this film a bit boring. I certainly did and found myself contemplating whether to continue watching or not, that's how bored I was lol. It wasn't scary, and it was all just very predictable and reminded me a lot of the Amityville films.
    Forum Member
    Pinkminxy wrote: »
    If you're a true horror movie fanatic, you'll most likely find this film a bit boring. I certainly did and found myself contemplating whether to continue watching or not, that's how bored I was lol. It wasn't scary, and it was all just very predictable and reminded me a lot of the Amityville films.

Have you noticed with these types of films there's always some kind of draw towards scenes in the basement? I think that was the point I just gave up on it and thought it was just too predictable when she went down the stairs.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw this and really liked it. The best horror film I've seen in a long tome. The first half was particularly good. The second half was a little weaker but not too adversely so.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tedious garbage based on the "work" of a pair of charlatans. If you've never, ever seen a single haunted house movie before you might (just) be impressed.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »

Does it not strike you that on this tiny little thread alone, there are a large number of people who also did not like the movie?

And you seem to think peoples personal opinion should be swayed, or people should somehow seek to doubt their own personal opinion, just because various online polls and comments say the movie is popular?

For me, this was one of the most derivative horror movies I have seen in years, it stole from many other better known horror movies, there was nothing different or original about it.

And like a lot of modern horror movies, it also indulges in the mistaken belief that simply peppering the film with loud noises and shock moments (things jumping out, being thrown at the screen etc) are substitutes for genuine horror...a very sad indictment of modern horror movies in general.

The dichotomy is that the very familiarity in which such films steep themselves in is what appeals to many filmgoers...familiarity is a strong factor these days (hence why so many remakes, films based on tv shows, even musical theatre is indulging in this same trick these days).

I really don't care about ratings, polls, numbers on various sites, no one can tell anyone they are wrong and should therefore question their own opinion.