Least toxic Doctor

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We're been banding this one around the office a bit today, so I thought I'd bring it here.

I'm not going to do a poll, as I'm not 100% convinced that this thread won't become uber negative - it's not the intent. I'm slightly worried about this being taken the wrong way by some people here.

Basically we all have our favourite Doctor's but even those of us who like all of them have one we like the least.

So what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is "Who is the least disliked Doctor"

Despite him being one of the most popular Doctor's of the classic era, I personally have no particular love for Jon Pertwee's Doctor. Even as the most popular Doctor (at least in classic era Who) Tom Baker had a lot of people who didn't like him.

Our theories ruled out whoever is the current Doctor and his immediate predecessor (we made the assumption that Capaldi hasn't really started yet, so we're counting Smith as current) would always get a hammering in certain quarters due to how recent they've been. I've noted that Christopher Eccelston doesn't have this extreme reaction any more (with the exception of those who weren't happy with his refusal to do the 50th anniversary story), and like a lot of things in time, opinions settle down after a few years gap.

In the end we couldn't decide between Patrick Troughton and Paul McGann for least disliked. We ruled out the War Doctor from our discussions.

any other ideas?

The only other way I thought to do this would be a negative "which Doctor did you most dislike and see who came bottom of the list" - I hate that sort of thing.

ps please don't turn this into an excuse to just slag off Doctor's you don't like.

Comments

• johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Do you mean "which Doctor has left the most positive legacy?"
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen hate against all of the Doctors really, but the one who seems to be least attacked is definitely either William Hartnell or Tom Baker. In Hartnell's case there's more of a respect towards him and his struggles in the role, while Baker has the status of the most legendary Doctor, and is probably still THE Doctor to the majority of viewers that watched the Classic Series.

Patrick probably comes next as he is given respect for carrying the show post-Hartnell.

The rest have all had a backlash of some sort or another. (I.E. Pertwee - sexist, Davison - weak and insipid, Colin - Everything and the coat, Sylv - Clowning around, Paul - Failure, pointless, John - Not being Paul or Chris, Chris - horrible attitude, David - gurning, too loud, catchphrases, Matt - Not being David, relies on eccentricities)
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Troughton I'd say. Hardly every hear a grip about him.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul McGann or John Hurt
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    I would say Troughton. He's one of the most popular ones but not so popular to the point where people get really competitive about it.
    I personally find it hard to think of a proper criticism for him.

Next would maybe be William Hartnell, mainly out of respect. Some people may not like his portrayal of the Doctor as a grumpy old git but he's kind of above criticism because he was the original and set the standard everyone must follow and live up to.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Yes, probably Troughton. All the other Doctors seem to generate far more positive/negative reviews but Troughton seems much more positive/neutral.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure I'd agree with Hartnell or Tom as least disliked. Tom got a bit controversial in his latter years in the show, becoming difficult to work with and a bit of a prima donna, I think. He seemed to shun conventions, didn't agree to appear in the Five Doctors special, claimed he never even watched the show even when he was in it and was the only living Doctor to refuse to take part in the Big Finish audios until very recently.

Don't get me wrong, he was a great Doctor, he was my Doctor and I do believe he loved the show but I wouldn't say there's nothing to generate dislike.

Hartnell was, by many accounts, a fairly dislikeable person and hard to work with. I also think that his rather stern and irritable portrayal is unlikely to endear him to new viewers who are used to a more heroic Doctor.

I'm inclined to agree that McGann is probably the least disliked. I daresay the Movie had its critics but I don't think McGann's performance was ever one of the criticisms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean "which Doctor has left the most positive legacy?"

No, I mean "who is the least disliked Doctor"
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say Troughton. He's one of the most popular ones but not so popular to the point where people get really competitive about it.
    I personally find it hard to think of a proper criticism for him.

Next would maybe be William Hartnell, mainly out of respect. Some people may not like his portrayal of the Doctor as a grumpy old git but he's kind of above criticism because he was the original and set the standard everyone must follow and live up to.

I agree about Troughton. There's hardly anything to dislike about his Doctor and from what I've seen and read about him from interviews, there's hardly anything to dislike about Troughton himself either. He really was the Ultimate Nice Guy Doctor. I'm watching through his era at the moment and I love he mix of serious stuff and gentle, quirky humour.

I would agree about Hartnell too. Yes, he is above criticism as he was the first to play the role but he has his faults. I don't have issues with people disliking his Doctor if they've actively made the effort to watch him. It's the perception of him being grumpy that stop people watching that annoys me when there's so much more to his Doctor.
    I've seen hate against all of the Doctors really, but the one who seems to be least attacked is definitely either William Hartnell or Tom Baker. In Hartnell's case there's more of a respect towards him and his struggles in the role, while Baker has the status of the most legendary Doctor, and is probably still THE Doctor to the majority of viewers that watched the Classic Series.

Patrick probably comes next as he is given respect for carrying the show post-Hartnell.

The rest have all had a backlash of some sort or another. (I.E. Pertwee - sexist, Davison - weak and insipid, Colin - Everything and the coat, Sylv - Clowning around, Paul - Failure, pointless, John - Not being Paul or Chris, Chris - horrible attitude, David - gurning, too loud, catchphrases, Matt - Not being David, relies on eccentricities)

As I think I pointed out on the Myth thread a few weeks ago, Davison's Doctor is far from weak and insipid and it annoys me to continually read this about his Doctor when there is enough evidence to the contrary to disprove the point.

Though I concede he had his passive moments it was in isolated instances. Like Troughton, Davison is one of the nicer Doctors and the fact he was sandwiched between both Baker's whom were both strong in their own right makes his Doctor seem worse than it is. Had Davison followed directly on from Troughton, I don't think these ongoing wimpy comments would be so regular.

:)
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,244
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd agree with Hartnell or Tom as least disliked. Tom got a bit controversial in his latter years in the show, becoming difficult to work with and a bit of a prima donna, I think. He seemed to shun conventions, didn't agree to appear in the Five Doctors special, claimed he never even watched the show even when he was in it and was the only living Doctor to refuse to take part in the Big Finish audios until very recently.

Don't get me wrong, he was a great Doctor, he was my Doctor and I do believe he loved the show but I wouldn't say there's nothing to generate dislike.

Hartnell was, by many accounts, a fairly dislikeable person and hard to work with. I also think that his rather stern and irritable portrayal is unlikely to endear him to new viewers who are used to a more heroic Doctor.

I'm inclined to agree that McGann is probably the least disliked. I daresay the Movie had its critics but I don't think McGann's performance was ever one of the criticisms.
    Have to agree that it probably is mcgann. despite varying opinions on the movies, can't say I've ever heard anyone say he didn't play the part well, and night of the doctor just seemed fantastically recieved all around.

I'd put it partially down to him being a good actor, but also partially down to the fact he had such little screen time, it's almost as if he didn't really have time to mess up in the way the others did with their long tenure's
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I would probably also suggest Paul McGann. His movie was awful, but I seldom see the criticism swung at him, and he did the best he could with poor material.

For some people his appearance in 2013 was the best surprise of the year as well...it says a lot that a Doctor who appeared in one American movie and a mini-episode can have such a stunning reception. In part, his lack of airtime is probably what reduces the level of criticism - there's not that much to work with or talk about unless you cover the Big Finish stuff too...which denies the opinions of the majority of viewers.

Overall I'd say it's too subjective to really consider. There's specific circumstances surrounding specific Doctors, whilst some had years in the role to another who had mere hours. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either Troughton or McGann by far. Be it either the Doctor they played, or the actor themselves, I've never really heard actual criticism going in that direction. Everyone else usually has some sort of big complaint against either their character or their person.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    Either Troughton or McGann by far. Be it either the Doctor they played, or the actor themselves, I've never really heard actual criticism going in that direction. Everyone else usually has some sort of big complaint against either their character or their person.

And that is the issue - we either talk about the Doctor or the person and for this purpose they have to be combined and that is a very difficult thing to do for most people. They may know the character they see on TV but not the person behind if they don't follow the gossip talk. Others may be more aware and can make a more rounded decision of the "Total Person".

But from what I have seen on TV and read about the actors - I would also go with Troughton and McGann as the top two Doctors that respected the fans.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Troughton is definitely the least divisive Doctor (if only you'd thought to use that word, you could have saved so many words in the OP :P). A lot of people don't really know him that well, and he's far enough back that no-one really has an extreme dislike for him.

McGann??!!? Silly suggestion. Lots of people strongly dislike the so-called 'TV movie'.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Patrick Troughton is definitely the least divisive Doctor (if only you'd thought to use that word, you could have saved so many words in the OP :P). A lot of people don't really know him that well, and he's far enough back that no-one really has an extreme dislike for him.

McGann??!!? Silly suggestion. Lots of people strongly dislike the so-called 'TV movie'.

I agree regarding McGann. Putting aside the audios which are an entirely different format he has only appeared in two episodes, one of which was a fee minutes long. I actually love his performance in both but he has never had to carry the show for many seasons like Tennant and Smith and Baker and as such it cant really be compared. I think alot of the McGann love is based on what might have been rather than what was. Whose to say how good he would be over the course of 80 episodes? I suspect jolly good but we just don't know.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find a lot of Hartnell stories a bit of a chore, not his performance. Troughton and Tom Baker are the nearest for me to be liked by most.
    I have a bias towards Tom Baker, even his later stuff. I do like Jon Pertwee a lot as well, but can see some not liking him.
    Davison onwards are attacked a fair amount.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The following are not necessarily my opinions; just observations about the things people seem to dislike about certain Doctors or their eras:

Hartnell: some don't like black and white and / or the perceived low production values of the time. He is too 'dark' or 'irascible' or 'scary'. He fluffed a lot of lines due to illness-related memory problems, causing many to believe him to be a bad actor. Some people take against the actor personally because of supposed prejudices he had and difficulty in working with him. The historicals are boring to some people. The stories are too slow and lengthy.

Troughton: Honestly can't think of any bad opinions about him or his era, beyond the objection to black and white and the common dismissal of the production values of the time. The stories are too slow and lengthy.

Pertwee: Some people dislike the earthbound format of his early years; UNIT etc. Too serious for some. Stories were too long. Too action-oriented.

T. Baker: Some strong opinions against his later seasons being too 'silly' or frivolous, both in terms of story content and Baker's portrayal of the character. Equally, some believe he stayed too long and that no care was given to his performances in his final season (these opinions usually are unaware of, or simply disregard the fact that he was ill and had severe creative conflicts with the producer and script editor). Era-wise, Leela divides a lot of opinion as to how suitable she was as a companion (Janus thorns and whatnot). There were some objections to the horror and violence in this period, although they don't tend to be from fans. Some people take against Tom Baker personally because of how they perceive him as being difficult or unkind towards other crew and cast, and his personal issues with Lalla ward.

Davison: Some see him as a weak-willed or 'wimpish' Doctor. Too serious for some. Too young to play the Doctor to some. Some very disliked or divisive companions, such as Adric and Tegan. The 'crowded TARDIS ' format. He was too well-known already to be cast as the Doctor. General issues on the production side with perceived low production values. Show starting to become 'a bit panto' under JNT.

C. Baker: Initially portrayed as very unlikeable and for many the perception stuck permanently. Complaints that his version of the Doctor was too callous and that there was too much violence (unlike in the T.Baker era, some fans even believe this). For some, he simply wasn't a good enough actor. He 'killed' the show - the hiatus etc. General issues on the production side with perceived low production values and weak scripts. Show continuing to be 'a bit panto' under JNT.

McCoy: Initially too comedic for many, causing such a strong reaction amongst some that they either will not watch or will not recognize his later, more serious stories. Some feel he was a comedy actor and not a very good dramatic actor. He 'just doesn't look the part' (little man with an umbrella and pullover). He 'killed the show' - the cancellation. General issues on the production side with perceived low production values and weak scripts. Show continuing to be 'a bit panto' under JNT.

McGann: In his one full TV appearance there was very unpopular ret-conning of continuity, a perceived bad script that was taken as being disrespectful of the Doctor Who legacy. 'The kiss', introducing an 'inappropriate' romantic or even sexual element to the show. Joint American production is unpopular with many. Few criticisms of McGann's performance in particular, but that can tend to get blended into a lot of people's generally dismissive opinion of the movie. Some feel his Doctor shouldn't even be canonical.

Ecclestone: Too working-class / 'Northern' :P. 'Doesn't really look Doctorish'. Some strong opinions against the companion-centric format of the show and other writing issues. Some very strong opinions against Ecclestone personally for perceived disloyalty or disinterest towards the show. Doesn't court the fans.

Tennant: Felt by some to be too 'human-like' and not possess enough gravitas. Too young / good-looking; the show trying too much to appeal to teenage girls. Some strong dislike of his romantic connection with the Rose character. Some strong opinions against the companion-centric format of the show and other writing issues.

Smith: Too 'silly' or child-like. Too young. Doesn't possess enough gravitas. Perceived overly-complex or confusing storylines. Some strong opinions about romantic elements of the show (River Song; Amy & Rory).

Capaldi: He's too old or unattractive to play the part.

Again, these aren't necessarily my opinions but are some of the most common criticisms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The following are not necessarily my opinions; just observations about the things people seem to dislike about certain Doctors or their eras:

Hartnell: some don't like black and white and / or the perceived low production values of the time. He is too 'dark' or 'irascible' or 'scary'. He fluffed a lot of lines due to illness-related memory problems, causing many to believe him to be a bad actor. Some people take against the actor personally because of supposed prejudices he had and difficulty in working with him. The historicals are boring to some people. The stories are too slow and lengthy.

Troughton: Honestly can't think of any bad opinions about him or his era, beyond the objection to black and white and the common dismissal of the production values of the time. The stories are too slow and lengthy.

Pertwee: Some people dislike the earthbound format of his early years; UNIT etc. Too serious for some. Stories were too long. Too action-oriented.

T. Baker: Some strong opinions against his later seasons being too 'silly' or frivolous, both in terms of story content and Baker's portrayal of the character. Equally, some believe he stayed too long and that no care was given to his performances in his final season (these opinions usually are unaware of, or simply disregard the fact that he was ill and had severe creative conflicts with the producer and script editor). Era-wise, Leela divides a lot of opinion as to how suitable she was as a companion (Janus thorns and whatnot). There were some objections to the horror and violence in this period, although they don't tend to be from fans. Some people take against Tom Baker personally because of how they perceive him as being difficult or unkind towards other crew and cast, and his personal issues with Lalla ward.

Davison: Some see him as a weak-willed or 'wimpish' Doctor. Too serious for some. Too young to play the Doctor to some. Some very disliked or divisive companions, such as Adric and Tegan. The 'crowded TARDIS ' format. He was too well-known already to be cast as the Doctor. General issues on the production side with perceived low production values. Show starting to become 'a bit panto' under JNT.

C. Baker: Initially portrayed as very unlikeable and for many the perception stuck permanently. Complaints that his version of the Doctor was too callous and that there was too much violence (unlike in the T.Baker era, some fans even believe this). For some, he simply wasn't a good enough actor. He 'killed' the show - the hiatus etc. General issues on the production side with perceived low production values and weak scripts. Show continuing to be 'a bit panto' under JNT.

McCoy: Initially too comedic for many, causing such a strong reaction amongst some that they either will not watch or will not recognize his later, more serious stories. Some feel he was a comedy actor and not a very good dramatic actor. He 'just doesn't look the part' (little man with an umbrella and pullover). He 'killed the show' - the cancellation. General issues on the production side with perceived low production values and weak scripts. Show continuing to be 'a bit panto' under JNT.

McGann: In his one full TV appearance there was very unpopular ret-conning of continuity, a perceived bad script that was taken as being disrespectful of the Doctor Who legacy. 'The kiss', introducing an 'inappropriate' romantic or even sexual element to the show. Joint American production is unpopular with many. Few criticisms of McGann's performance in particular, but that can tend to get blended into a lot of people's generally dismissive opinion of the movie. Some feel his Doctor shouldn't even be canonical.

Ecclestone: Too working-class / 'Northern' :P. 'Doesn't really look Doctorish'. Some strong opinions against the companion-centric format of the show and other writing issues. Some very strong opinions against Ecclestone personally for perceived disloyalty or disinterest towards the show. Doesn't court the fans.

Tennant: Felt by some to be too 'human-like' and not possess enough gravitas. Too young / good-looking; the show trying too much to appeal to teenage girls. Some strong dislike of his romantic connection with the Rose character. Some strong opinions against the companion-centric format of the show and other writing issues.

Smith: Too 'silly' or child-like. Too young. Doesn't possess enough gravitas. Perceived overly-complex or confusing storylines. Some strong opinions about romantic elements of the show (River Song; Amy & Rory).

Again, these aren't necessarily my opinions but are some of the most common criticisms.

Brilliant post of which I can't disagree with too much(for once)

The one thing I've noticed about opinions on here lately is that they are very 'general' opinions. Like one description fits all and that fits into your summing up perfectly.

It seems the general opinion of a Doctor or his era is what happened during that entire era. The Hartnell 'grumpy' perception is a typical example of this, as is the Davison 'weak-willed' one.

More recently I've seen this attributed to all Black and White stories being crap, The Master always was hammy and so on. I've even done it myself in the past when I've said Pertwee's Doctor was overly moralistic and serious but even this wasn't in every story, that is something I now accept.

I think sometimes people to need to see past the perceptions and see in almost every era there are exceptions to the general opinion of each Doctor.

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant post of which I can't disagree with too much(for once)

The one thing I've noticed about opinions on here lately is that they are very 'general' opinions. Like one description fits all and that fits into your summing up perfectly.

It seems the general opinion of a Doctor or his era is what happened during that entire era. The Hartnell 'grumpy' perception is a typical example of this, as is the Davison 'weak-willed' one.

More recently I've seen this attributed to all Black and White stories being crap, The Master always was hammy and so on. I've even done it myself in the past when I've said Pertwee's Doctor was overly moralistic and serious but even this wasn't in every story, that is something I now accept.

I think sometimes people to need to see past the perceptions and see in almost every era there are exceptions to the general opinion of each Doctor.

This is so true! Its natural it would happen as its human nature to try and put things into little compartments or boxes and reduce them to a soundbite. Hence Hartnell 'grumpy' and Tennant 'gurning romantic lead' etc etc. You could do the same for every Doctor. Not always a bad thing. It means each Doctor has a certain defining thing that separates them from the others. But at the same time it is a very glib and simplistic way of looking at each incarnation as Tom Tits brilliant post highlights. Truth is every Doctor is much more complex than that. Hence why I fully agree with your sterling defence against the misconception of Peter D being a bit of a weak and flimsy Doctor. Not true. Same as Matts performance. His Doctor isn't just some childish exercise in quirky hand waving wackyness. There is an element of that but at the same time so much more going on. I think the same can be said of every Doctor. Alot of nuances going on that mean they cant be adequately described with just one or two words. I don't think any of them have been so one dimensional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is so true! Its natural it would happen as its human nature to try and put things into little compartments or boxes and reduce them to a soundbite. Hence Hartnell 'grumpy' and Tennant 'gurning romantic lead' etc etc. You could do the same for every Doctor. Not always a bad thing. It means each Doctor has a certain defining thing that separates them from the others. But at the same time it is a very glib and simplistic way of looking at each incarnation as Tom Tits brilliant post highlights. Truth is every Doctor is much more complex than that. Hence why I fully agree with your sterling defence against the misconception of Peter D being a bit of a weak and flimsy Doctor. Not true. Same as Matts performance. His Doctor isn't just some childish exercise in quirky hand waving wackyness. There is an element of that but at the same time so much more going on. I think the same can be said of every Doctor. Alot of nuances going on that mean they cant be adequately described with just one or two words. I don't think any of them have been so one dimensional.

Absolutely. There are stories when a Doctor can act out of character a bit. I think with Hartnell, it was The Romans, where he put in a very comedic performance.

Can't really think of one for Troughton, but as I mentioned recently I think in The Space Pirates surviving episode he seemed a bit more bolshy than normal which I put down to him tiring towards the end of his run.

Pertwee I would say The Green Death as he did several disguises in that and showed his comedic edge as well. However, you could also say Season 7 was different as he was very arrogant in that year.

Tom Baker I would say Planet Of Evil, probably the most sombre of all his performances, it was dead straight and mostly serious.

Davison's were Frontios and The Caves Of Androzani. In both of these stories his character was exceptionally strong which is why I object to the wimpy comments so much.

Colin Baker I would just say two words: Season 23.

McCoy is slightly different as he had a radical change from his first Season so really his second 2 years should prove he wasn't an idiot.

Not going to comment on later Doctors but you get the idea that there were stories/Seasons where The Doctors acted differently to their normal/established interpretation.

• doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,244
    Forum Member

But out of those people, alot say that mcgann himself did a great job of being the doctor. it dosen't matter if the story was terrible. The thread is about the doctor, not the stories, and his actual performance in it and in night of the doctor (which was good all around) were both well done in my opinion, and I can't say I've actually heard anyone complain about mcganns performance in either.

I personally dislike the tv movie but think mcgann for his part played the part brilliantly, then did it again in night of the doctor. If there are more unintrusive ways of doing it, as in night of the doctor, then he is fully deserving of more screen time, and I think many feel the same which is why his name keeps popping up on here as the least disliked. That and also the fact he didn't really have long enough on screen to mess up, unlike the others
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so this has got nothing to do with that Britney Spears song?
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, but seeing as Paul, Peter Davison, Peter Capaldi and Chris are all objectively better looking than David, whilst Matt is younger and better looking than him, I couldn't understand this post. Maybe you copy & pasted it wrong
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Tom, good post, except it's Eccleston, not Ecclestone. :):o
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    so this has got nothing to do with that Britney Spears song?

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking of that song (err video)!