Options

Goodnight Sweetheart fans?

tatlocktatlock Posts: 716
Forum Member
✭✭
Brilliant show, will always be my fave. Really wish they'd bring it back for a one-off special as has been rumoured over the last couple of years, though the almost non-stop ITV3 repeats will do me for now!

Hope a quick plug is okay, a few of us have set up a free forum for fans of the show, pop by for a natter if you're bored - http://goodnightsweetheart.forumsland.com/

x.

Comments

• Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I bought the lot on dvd when they were on offer a few years ago. I am a huge fan of anything to do with time travel.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me too always watch it on ITV3 along with heartbeat!

hasn't Phoebe time travelled to Casualty or Holby or something now?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny as I just registered to the forum this afternoon.
    I am watching series 3 now and love the show.

Must of seen this at least 5 times now.

One thing that bugs me is who do you like more out of Ron or REG and who do you find more funny?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have them on DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny as I just registered to the forum this afternoon.
    I am watching series 3 now and love the show.

Must of seen this at least 5 times now.

One thing that bugs me is who do you like more out of Ron or REG and who do you find more funny?

Reg deffo, more deadpan.
  • Options
    hr100hr100 Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Big fan - have them all on dvd :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen this in years but I love it whenever Richard Herring analyses it on his podcast, talking about what a morally corrupt man Gary Sparrow really is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Apache wrote: »
    Haven't seen this in years but I love it whenever Richard Herring analyses it on his podcast, talking about what a morally corrupt man Gary Sparrow really is.

gets his cake and eats it doesn't he? Reminds me of the Man Utd goalie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a good series. I think that it would make a great film.
    The concept was very interesting and it was well thought out and historically accurate. I used to get annoyed at the silly bits when Gary returned home to the boring wife.
    No other time travel film or programme has been as good.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there should be a one off special with Gary and Phoebe in today's World as old people.

Perhaps they could start it off with Gary being on a bus and Ron giving up his seat for him, as mentioned in a previous episode.

It seemed rushed and unfinished in the very last episode.

Just one more episode could complete it.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the full set on DVD a few years ago and have watched them through about three times so far.

It is a great comedy series, worked well in every department too. Even the change of actresses half way through for the part of Yvonne certainly did it no harm, in fact it got better as it went along.

One of the best during the past few years.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to do a "10 years later" episode.

I'm surprised that Ron never looked Garry up in the present time when he got stuck in the past.
  • Options
    mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree that a one off special would be pretty cool and give the fans of the show closure.

Quantum Leap is the best time travelling tv program of all time BTW
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    I think there should be a one off special with Gary and Phoebe in today's World as old people.

Perhaps they could start it off with Gary being on a bus and Ron giving up his seat for him, as mentioned in a previous episode.

It seemed rushed and unfinished in the very last episode.

Just one more episode could complete it.

I think there was one episode where they were in a restuarant in modern times and we saw an old Gary and Phoebe at another table.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Was there a mooted sequel/new episode like?
    I didn't hear of it!

Would love to see one though!

ITV3 does often have some crackers up its sleeve with its repeats (even if 'Goodnight Sweetheart was originally on BBC1). Although, before everyone rants at me, I realise it was Alomo and therefore Freemantle!

I loved this show though. I think I missed the last few episodes when he decided to stay in the past. I was going to Uni and I kind of saw bits and bobs. I remember something about Gary writing something on a wall that Ron saw in 90s Britain.
    No matter how many repeated episodes I see on ITV3, I never manage to catch those last few episodes.
    Aside from Quantum Leap, Doctor Who, Torchwood and Life on Mars/A2A, I can't think of a programme that did time travel as well as Goodnight Sweetheart!
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there was one episode where they were in a restuarant in modern times and we saw an old Gary and Phoebe at another table.
    Yeah there was, but that was just a dream scene.

Perhaps Gary could meet Ron on the bus, Ron knowing he's seen this old man before but not quite recognizing him, then when he does Ron could take him to see Yvonne etc.

That could make an interesting episode.

@GavPowers the writing on the wall was the very last episode after Gary was trapped in the past.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably one of the last decent 'traditional' comedies of recent years. I never get tired of watching the repeats, although the earlier series are best, IMO.

It ran out of steam a little in later episodes.

They could probably get away with doing a one-off, but I wouldn't want it to turn into another Only Fools.....rehashing the same stories over and over again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    gets his cake and eats it doesn't he? Reminds me of the Man Utd goalie.
    He's a very irresponsible time traveler, this Gary Sparrow chap. Clearly has no knowledge of fixed points in time, he's just asking for trouble. And why did he never get concerned when he saw the poster in the credits with a picture of him and Nicholas Lyndhurst's name by it.
  • Options
    TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a huge fan of anything to do with time travel.

Didn't see Crime Traveller then? ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't see Crime Traveller then?

I own the dvd's of that as well as goodnight sweetheart - i'm a time travel freak :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Crime Traveller - I think I was one of about seven viewers. :D It only lasted eight episodes.

I got the DVD set a few years ago.
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I loved Crime Traveller - I think I was one of about seven viewers. :D It only lasted eight episodes.

Hands up - viewer number two here.

Loved it.
  • Options
    trawets09trawets09 Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »

Wrong

Crime Traveller had good healthy ratings back in 1997 - around 8 million per episode. the reason it never made it past its first series is because a new head of BBC took over around the same time and it got overlooked.

I love Goodnight Sweetheart every episode is amazing imo. I thought Dervla Kirwan was the better Phoebe and Emma Amos the better Yvonne, its a shame both weren't in the series at the same time.

My fave episode is from Series 5 when Gary goes further back in time and meets Jack the Ripper
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be two camps of viewer as far as Crime Traveller is concerned - those who loved it and those who thought it was the most wooden thing on TV since Crossroads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this show. I think it had run it's course and was starting to look tired at the end.

I would rather they didn't do an one-off show as I don't think it would work. If you saw the mess that the one-off To the manor born was you would have second thoughts about going back.
    Whilst nostalgia wise it's fun for people that don't know the series they would be wondering what the hell was going on.