Price Increases

I assume some other TalkTalk TV users have now received a letter advising them that the price of their TV package will change.

From 10th September, TalkTalk have advised me that I will need to pay them £12 per month more for the same TalkTalk services. I cannot afford this.

The letter states that TalkTalk's focus is towards a, ‘Next Generation Network’. However, there seems to be no details about what benefits that network will provide me.

The letter also mentions that I can transfer to an alternative ‘great offer’ TV package, provided I sign an 18 month contract.

I have heard that TalkTalk are now part of Project Canvas, so in the future, I have understood that other companies will be providing similar services to TalkTalk. Therefore, I would certainly not wish to bind myself to TalkTalk for 18 months.

I have had the TV, broadband and telephone product since 2006 (first with Homechoice, then Tiscal and finally TalkTalk). I have been extremely happy with it.

Luckily for me, many other TV service providers (including Virgin Media) are in my area. Some can provide more channels than TalkTalk TV as well as HD. Some of their prices are equivalent (or cheaper) than what TalkTalk now wish me to pay.

Unfortunately, it seems I must now rush to make a decision. Although, TalkTalk’s price change notification letter is dated July, I only received it yesterday. I assumer, I must give 30 days notice to cancel the service, yet the price increase comes into effect on 10th September!

Comments

• doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I got my letter today, there doesn't appear to be any advantage in switching to TalkTalk's network, the speed is the same, TV channels are the same, the only change seems to be that free line rental has gone.

This is a shame to lose such an unbeatable deal but it was bound to end at some point and it's still £10 per month cheaper than the Sky equivalent.

The cheapest Virgin package (non-HD) is £30 and there's no FX or Comedy Central with that.

As far as I can see TalkTalk is still the cheapest TV bundle package.

Think I will stick with TalkTalk unless the change onto their network results in lower broadband speeds or the TV becomes unstable again, something I've had in the past or might just switch to broadband only, with them or someone else.

The problem is I think you have to go back to BT for a year before going elsewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I haven't had the letter through yet, but did get a notification up on the website when I went to check the bill the other day. The price rise for me was 6.50 give or take a couple of pence. I did notice that the new lower band tv package now includes evening calls (just used to be weekend) so I was considering changing to that from my current anytime package. (price increase £1.50 on my previous package)

There was no option to do this on the website so I gave the sales people a call. They informed me that a change to my package was classed as a upgrade, even though I wanted to downgrade and that meant an 18 month contract renewal, I was not happy. After several minutes of her stating the position I asked to be put through to customer services.

Customer services offered me 3 months at half price and some non geographic numbers for free (0871 and a couple of others) if I signed up for 18 months (at the normal price for evening and weekend). I said I still wasn't impressed and was looking at competitors so he went off to talk to his supervisor. When he came back he offered 6 months at half price as well as the non geogrpahic numbers. I tried to get something else, but that was the best he could offer. I signed up, so if you're happy with TalkTalk, but want a better deal it's definately worth discussing the situation with customer services
  • kriss57kriss57 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redster wrote: »
    I haven't had the letter through yet, but did get a notification up on the website when I went to check the bill the other day. The price rise for me was 6.50 give or take a couple of pence. I did notice that the new lower band tv package now includes evening calls (just used to be weekend) so I was considering changing to that from my current anytime package. (price increase £1.50 on my previous package)

There was no option to do this on the website so I gave the sales people a call. They informed me that a change to my package was classed as a upgrade, even though I wanted to downgrade and that meant an 18 month contract renewal, I was not happy. After several minutes of her stating the position I asked to be put through to customer services.

Customer services offered me 3 months at half price and some non geographic numbers for free (0871 and a couple of others) if I signed up for 18 months (at the normal price for evening and weekend). I said I still wasn't impressed and was looking at competitors so he went off to talk to his supervisor. When he came back he offered 6 months at half price as well as the non geogrpahic numbers. I tried to get something else, but that was the best he could offer. I signed up, so if you're happy with TalkTalk, but want a better deal it's definately worth discussing the situation with customer services

Yes, I accepted the 6 month half price deal plus 0845/0870 numbers offer as well.
    I am very happy with the TV/Broadband/Phone package, the £90+ saving more than covers my price rise over 18 months, so cannot see much to worry about to be honest, for me at least. :)
  • ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed that there are a few more HD features on TalkTalk TV (Set up guides etc) whereas previously I only had the HD test card - Maybe the rise in costs is because they are going to release some HD channels???
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Grandad pays £19.99 for his TV, broadband and phoneline. He got a letter from them telling him that his price will go up to £26.45. He was looking at other providers very quickly.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    My Grandad pays £19.99 for his TV, broadband and phoneline. He got a letter from them telling him that his price will go up to £26.45. He was looking at other providers very quickly.

If you find one cheaper let us know, Sky and Virgin start at £30.00 and you get fewer decent channels with that Virgin package and only 2GB per month downloads for that price with Sky.

The only way to go cheaper would be to just have broadband and freeview but you're looking at around £18.00 per month for that with the line rental, an extra £8.45 for Talk Talk TV is worth it in my opinion, and you would also have to get a new PVR because the Talk Talk box is their property.

Plus we still have Sky Sports News which has disappeared from Freeview.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kriss57 wrote: »
    Yes, I accepted the 6 month half price deal plus 0845/0870 numbers offer as well.

Kriss, what number did you call to make that arrangement? I'm having trouble managing my a/c online because of some problem with their records (I promise you, the problem is at their end, which is making it even more difficult to put right), and I keep speaking to duffers. I've been waiting for a call-back since the 13th from the 0800 CS people, have spoken to others on 0871 222 3311 since who don't have any record of my call :(

So I'm desperate as to the most effective way to approach the buggaz :mad:

parthena
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks fer nuthin' ;) I've sorted it at last. The number on which I spoke to a helpful Scottish lad is:

0808 108 0431

At last :eek:

parthena
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm yet to receive a letter or email - currently paying £17.99 a month (phoneline, broadband, TV) plus my extra mixes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh! and you're on such a bargain package :eek:

Do you see anything about "Checking to see if there are any urgent messages" when you go to log in on TT.co.uk?

Otherwise - keep mum ;)

scylla
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    Gosh! and you're on such a bargain package :eek:

Do you see anything about "Checking to see if there are any urgent messages" when you go to log in on TT.co.uk?

Otherwise - keep mum ;)

scylla

The message about logging in to check comes up on the account login page - but the only message I have is about early payment collections :) (I should add I do pay for the Entertainment Extra mix on top of that £17.99 but still something of a bargain!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zapomatic wrote: »
    The message about logging in to check comes up on the account login page - but the only message I have is about early payment collections :) (I should add I do pay for the Entertainment Extra mix on top of that £17.99 but still something of a bargain!)

The Entertainment Extra will be about £6 - and I presume you don't get 24/7 inclusive 01/02/03 number phone calls... so that would be about right. Even so, great price compared to anywhere else, I'd say :)

Have you always been with TalkTalk? I thought that TV customers had to be ex-Tiscali :confused: Trying to figure why you haven't been alerted to a new contract... maybe they're doing it by region or exchange or alphabet :)

parthena
  • kriss57kriss57 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kriss, what number did you call to make that arrangement? I'm having trouble managing my a/c online because of some problem with their records (I promise you, the problem is at their end, which is making it even more difficult to put right), and I keep speaking to duffers. I've been waiting for a call-back since the 13th from the 0800 CS people, have spoken to others on 0871 222 3311 since who don't have any record of my call :(

So I'm desperate as to the most effective way to approach the buggaz :mad:

parthena

Sincere apologies, I have been away for a few days, glad you sorted it. :)

My number would have been 0800 110 5851 :rolleyes::D
  • ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just called 0845 077 4488 and negotiated 6 months at half price (£11.24) then going to £22.98 a month (I currently pay £23.99!) :D

...I did have to sign up for another 18 months though

I told them that I have the entertainment mix & up to 8GB broadband and Sky could offer this for £25.50 a month, which was cheaper than TakTalk's proposed £28.00 a month
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My letter informed me that my £14.99/mth would increase to £23.98/mth to keep my existing package (U/L 8MB BB & TalkTalkTV) - line rental and Anytime calls with BT.

When I enquired as to the reason for a £8.99/mth increase, the guy blathered on about NGN (which gives me no improvement) and he persuaded me to go 'all-in' (line rental, calls & BB and keep the TV) for £26/mth, however when the deal came through in writing it was £26.47/mth with eve & w'end calls.

So, I rang them and they insisted I would have to go another £4/mth to 'boost' to Anytime calling. I told them I was very specific on the phone and asked to have what I had now. They were not budging.

They are collecting their equipment on the 8th October.

If they'd listened to what I wanted, and carried it out first time, they'd have kept a customer. I'm moving broadband to Orange, and I'll consider a deal if they offer once TalkTalk have pulled the plug.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he persuaded me to go 'all-in' (line rental, calls & BB and keep the TV) for £26/mth, however when the deal came through in writing it was £26.47/mth with eve & w'end calls.

I haven't had any written confirmation. I emailed via the them via the website asking for confirmation and had a reply saying "we're the wrong department, sorry".

parthena
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't had any written confirmation. I emailed via the them via the website asking for confirmation and had a reply saying "we're the wrong department, sorry".

parthena

Not exactly confidence inspiring is it? I had vowed never to use TT again after the last debacle and was kind of miffed that they bought Tiscali and 'inherited' me.

However, the package has worked fine until now. They obviously weren't getting their pound of flesh.

Still connected BTW, waiting to die...:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    My letter informed me that my £14.99/mth would increase to £23.98/mth to keep my existing package (U/L 8MB BB & TalkTalkTV) - line rental and Anytime calls with BT.

I was paying the same for a similar service. However, my letter said I would need to pay £26.98/mth, if I wished to continue with it.

I finally decided to keep the service, but also have my line rental with TalkTalk. I agreed to pay them £30.47/mth; discounted for 6 months with an 18 month contract.

My line rental went over to TalkTalk on 1st September. At the time of arranging the transfer, I had asked to have the, ‘caller display’ and ‘1571’ calling features (like I had with BT) . On 1st September, I noticed my line was missing these features. For the past week, I have been regularly ringing and emailing TalkTalk to get these features put on my line. (According to their website, my line has had these features activated since 1st September, so no doubt I will be billed for them!) Today, TalkTalk have advised me that the problem is now being worked on by a higher department off-shore. One reason I had kept my line rental with BT for so long was to avoid this type of issue!