Service failure - anyone from Tiscali about?

Here's a quick timeline of the issues I've been having since the weekend (sorry for the long story, and lack of technical expertise):

21/12/09 - Tiscali TV, phone and broadband installed. All seems to work ok.

Then:

Saturday lunchtime: Router (Thomson TG585) is suddenly unable to establish a broadband connection (broadband light flashes rapidly, all other lights ok). For a short time I have no internet access or television service whatsoever. The phoneline, which had been nice and clear, is still usable but very crackly. After about half an hour everything sorts itself out.

Saturday teatime: Connection goes kaput again. After half an hour of fiddling around I call Tiscali. While I'm on hold (about fifteen minutes) it sorts itself out again. Interestingly, every time I call Tiscali the estimated wait time is given as six minutes. It never is.

Anyway, I stay on the phone because I want to check what's going on, and because I'm having a few minor issues (see below) which I want to speak about.

I get through to someone fairly helpful in the Tiscali TV technical dept who tests the line and says it's working ok. He thinks maybe it's the filter that's faulty. He asks me to do a few tests, plug a phone into the test socket, etc. which I do. By this point everything's working again. He offers to send me some new filters.

Sunday Teatime: Everything goes again. I call Tiscali again. This time I spend about half an hour on hold before getting through to someone in the broadband technical help. This gentleman tries his best to help, but I don't think English is his first language, and he struggles to understand when I ask questions about when and how this will be resolved. He takes me through most of the same steps as I went through on Saturday (reboot, etc). He then tells me that I need to wait until I have tried a new filter and if it still doesn't work to call back. After an hour and a half everything starts working again. It's still working at 5am.

Monday Evening (Yesterday): Get home from work and it's gone again. This time I've got a spare filter that I bought! Unsurprisingly, changing the filter doesn't do anything. Call Tiscali again, again get through to a gentlemen who doesn't have particularly great English, and can only go through the designated steps. Repeat all of the steps I tried on Saturday and Sunday. Nothing works. He now says he needs to refer the issue upwards to a different department. He asks when it's convenient for them to call me back on Tuesday. I tell him anytime after 7pm. We arrange for a callback between 7 and 9 (because after three phone calls, lots of fussing around and about an hour spent on hold in total the best they can do is offer a two hour time slot 24 hours later to call you back). Anyway, he repeats the arrangement to me before we end the call. When I ask what will happen next and how long it might take for something to get done he doesn't understand me (or else just ignores me) and repeats what he's just said.

Service is still out.

Today - 12 noon: A phonecall from Tiscali! A whole seven hours early. Unfortunately, though, I'm at work, and therefore not in front of my Tiscali equipment. I ask if they can call me back as arranged after 7pm. They say fine.

About two minutes later: They call back to say they can't, actually, phone me back between 7pm and 9pm (they're all busy for those whole two hours, apparently!). They can call me back between 5pm and 7pm - but since I don't get home from work until about 7 that's not much help. They offer to call tomorrow (Wednesday) between 7pm and 9pm instead. I state (politely) that I have no choice but to accept, but that I'm not happy. The guy again doesn't answer me (or understand) and just repeats "So can someone call you tomorrow between 7pm and 9pm?" over and over until I give up, and simply say "Yes".

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Another night without TV or internet access tonight, and then waiting around for them to call tomorrow - when they will probably not be especially helpful.

I've sent an email using the contact form at Tiscali's website to complain about the issue and the apalling customer service, but they can only promise that they'll "try and respond within two days - but bear with us if it takes longer". I tried to post on the forum there, but I need to wait to be "approved" by a moderator. And anyway the website is hugely buggy (let's me log on in some places but not others, repeatedly asks for passwords, circular links, etc.).

So that's why I'm here, in the hope that one of the nice Tiscali people who visit the forum will try and explain to me, in plain English, what's going on.

Oh, and while they're at it, perhaps they can explain a couple of other things which I've asked about, but either had no response or not quite grasped it:

(1) The engineer who installed Tiscali TV did not connect the set-top box to the digital aerial - this means all television channels are received through DSL. I have connected the aerial myself and used the DTT scanning function, but several channels aren't found (including ITV1 and Channel 4). Even when channels are found (including, for example, BBC1) the box continues to receive them through DSL. This means the Tiscali Plus function is mostly useless, as we can only watch OR record one channel at any time. I have connected the same aerial to a freeview receiver, which finds all of the channels quite easily. Of course, this isn't much of a problem right now as Tiscali TV isn't working at all.

(2) The catch-up TV service doesn't appear to be working correctly. Days worth of programmes that were denoted as "available on catch-up" are nowhere to be found in the relevant section of the EPG.

I should point out that I was previously a Tiscali customer for almost two years at my previous address with no problems whatsoever. I have actually recommended the service to countless friends and family members, although now O feel foolish for doing so. I understand that technical problems happen, but the quality of customer services these past few days has been absolutely dreadful.

Comments

• ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try phoning your mobile from your landline. Does the correct number show up? My service was like this for a week and when I phoned tech support on New Year's Day they asked if I was calling from the number I was having problems with as it was showing up as something else. They put me through to the phone support team who then got BT onto the matter. Everything was fixed before I went to bed and I got a call the next day from Tiscali to check everything was working properly.

Interestingly my wait time was advised as 6 minutes but I got through to someone straight away!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Zapomatic wrote: »
    Try phoning your mobile from your landline. Does the correct number show up? My service was like this for a week and when I phoned tech support on New Year's Day they asked if I was calling from the number I was having problems with as it was showing up as something else. They put me through to the phone support team who then got BT onto the matter. Everything was fixed before I went to bed and I got a call the next day from Tiscali to check everything was working properly.

Interestingly my wait time was advised as 6 minutes but I got through to someone straight away!

Thanks for that, very interesting. Tried calling the mobile and got "Private Number", which I don't think it said before. Also, when calling the landline from the mobile no number comes up, when it definitely used to. I'm at work now, but I'll definitely mention it to them tonight.

It might just be a coincidence, but straight after I called the Tiscali line from my mobile the router started working again. It was still working when I went to bed last night, but alas has stopped this morning.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Definitely sounds like there might be something in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey fella!

Any update on your problems?

The start of your ongoing saga sounded like mine. Everything went, but after an hour and a half of farting around with the Thomson box I gave in and called Tiscali.

Your estimated wait time is 6 minutes and there are more than 9 people in the queue. And after 34 minutes, I get thru to Tiscali TV, despite calling broadband support.

However, I am told that all their systems are down and can I call back tomorrow! First off, how the hell do I get bounced to TV. Secondly, if all their systems are down, how does it take 34 minutes to get thru to be told that!!!!

And no, I wont call back tomorrow, not when I've waited 34 minutes to get thru to the number I dialled only to be bounced!

So anyway, she put me thru to Broadband, in India. Which in itself doesn't isn't a problem, except for the problem that the Indian Call Centre staff have that makes it sound like they're being rude and unhelpful, when they actually aren't but it's the accent and language barrier!

But this isn't until I've had the 6 minute warning with more than 9 people in the queue. Tho, it actually went in about 3 minutes.

Anyway, lots of time spent, doing EVERYTHING I've already done and eventually, she just resets my master password, and lo and behold it all works!!!

Now, if I've been using the service for 5 months, why the hell at 1627 on a random Wednesday in January, why did it decide to go wonky then?

But it's fixed now.

Hope yours get sorted fella.
    Forum Member
    Morning. Glad you got your problem sorted. No such luck for me.

They called last night and asked a few questions, then changed some settings from their end and it all started working.

I asked what the problem was, and whether this time it would keep working for longer than a few hours, and was told "I assure you that it will definitely work now, and if you have any more problems just give us a call back."

Then, around 11pm, I was playing videogames online ('cause I'm a massive nerd) when the message "You have disconnected from XBox Live" appears on my screen. I check the router and, guess what, it's gone again! I'll be calling back this evening (no point now since I'm at work) but I'm really unhappy.

I know what you mean about the call centre staff. I had a conversation which went a bit like:

Tiscali Lady: Can you tell me Mr Smith is it all working now?
    Me: Well it seems to be. But it's worked on-and-off since we started having problems. How do I know it won't go again?
    Tiscali Lady: Thank you Mr Smith, is there anything else I can help you with?
    Me: Well I just wanted to check what the problem was, because it's come back on before but then turned off again, if you follow me.
    Tiscali Lady: But you can see Mr Smith that it is all working now so now it works, ok?
    Me: Yes, but is there a problem you've fixed that means it will keep working?
    Tiscali Lady: Yes, you can see that it is working fine now, so you won't have any problem.
    Me: OK, I was just wondering what was wrong with it that was making it go wrong, because I don't want it to go wrong again.
    Tiscali Lady: I can assure you that you won't have any more problems, ok? If you have any other problems you can just give us a call, ok?

It might not look like much on paper, but it comes across as rude because they never answer your questions, which I'm fairly sure is because they don't properly understand what I'm asking.

I'm so annoyed that I'm considering cancelling and going with BT for Broadband and Sky for TV, but that would mean:

- Cancelling Tiscali, and paying up the rest of the contract, which will be about £600 since I've only just joined and it's an 18 month contract. Unless I can convince them that their service is so terrible that I don't owe them anything, or at least not the full amount.

- Re-joining BT, who I had to sign up with when I moved in - even though I knew I was getting Tiscali - and who I have just paid £80 to leave (I didn't know about the Post Office option discussed in another thread).

- Then joining Sky, and paying all associated costs - and winding up paying £35 quid a month for just TV, when now I pay £35 a month for unlimited phonecalls, broadband and TV.

So they've got me by the short and curlies, basically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cdaewa wrote: »

- Re-joining BT, who I had to sign up with when I moved in - even though I knew I was getting Tiscali - and who I have just paid £80 to leave (I didn't know about the Post Office option discussed in another thread).

Post Office option?i'm just about to move and get stiffed by having to get the BT line reconnected. What's this you talk of?

And the Tiscali TV contract is only 12 months (sorry, the TalkTalkTV contract, must remember it's changed now) not 18 months unlike the rest of the contracts.

EDIT

Had a look on the Post Office website and I guess you mean getting the line thru them and you're not tied in!!!

Hoping that now it's TalkTalk you should, in theory be able to do the line activation thru them instead of having to fart-arse about with this, but will have to wait and see!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Hi Cdaewa,

I've PM'd you to request your number - please advise if this is still an on-going issue,

Kind Regards

Chris
    Forum Member
    Apologies for the long post, thought those people considering TalkTalk might find it of some use. In the interest of fairness I should point out that this is solely one person's experience of the company, and other opinions undoubtedly exist as to their product and services.

I have been in long and protracted debate with Tiscali/TalkTalk regarding my ongoing issues since I started this thread. As yet they have failed to remedy my problems. Below is the latest email I have sent to the company. This is, of course, without the full context, but hopefully paints something of picture of my dealings with them. It has been edited to protect the privacy of those involved.
    Good morning,

This automated message was sent at 1.21am, a time when I (like, I would suspect, many people) was asleep. At 10.30 this morning, just minutes after receiving it, I logged into the TalkTalk website and was very surprised to see that my complaint has been marked as resolved. In the interests of improving your customer service in future, can I suggest that if you are genuinely interested in discovering whether a customer is still having problems you might allow them longer than nine hours in the middle of the night to respond to such a request.

I can confirm that I am still having problems. And do not wish my complaint to be marked as “Solved”. I did not respond to previous messages as I was awaiting some contact from your Technical Department, as was promised to me. I have yet to hear anything at all from them, not even a courtesy call to inform me that they are working on my case.

I would now like to address some of the points in previous messages from your customer services department.

Firstly, several TalkTalk customer services representatives have stated “I tried to contact you earlier, but unfortunately, you were not available to take my call.” (or similar). Namely XXX on 28th January at 2.42pm, XXX on 29th January at 1.18pm, and XXX on 29th January at 5.18pm.

I believe that these calls were all made to my TalkTalk landline (XXX), since my fiancé’s mother answered several calls from TalkTalk representatives on that number this past Friday (29th January).

If you would glance back over my many emails in this discussion thread you will see that I have stated on no less than six occasions that I cannot be reached on that number before 7pm. I have also stated this on the telephone to several TalkTalk employees.

The fact that several TalkTalk customer service representatives have nonetheless attempted to call me on it before that time suggests that you are not giving my messages your proper attention, which is inkeeping with the extremely poor customer service that I have received from TalkTalk since becoming a customer in December. Given this, I am no longer satisfied for my complaint to be dealt with by “customer service” representatives, but request that it be passed on to a manager, supervisor or other senior person within TalkTalk. Please ensure that my complaint is now dealt with by someone with the appropriate skills and experience to deal with it.

And, in the interest of clarity, I will state again that, should you wish to contact me, you can reach me on my landline after 7pm, or on my mobile phone at any time. My mobile phone number can be found in this thread twice already, but I will repeat it here: XXX.

Secondly, on 29th January at 1.18pm, XXX stated that “I have re-escalated this issue to our Technical Department and I have advised that this issue was not resolved and is ongoing. They will contact you within 72 hours to assist you with this issue.”

Since that time 93 hours and 42 minutes have passed at the time of writing this email, and (as noted above) I have not been contacted by your Technical Department at all. Can you please explain this oversight?

Thirdly, on 29th January at 5.18pm, XXX stated that “if this issue is not resolved by the 25th of February then we can waive the fee but I can assure you this matter will be resolved in 72 hours.”

At time of writing this email 89 hours and 40 minutes have passed and clearly the matter has not been resolved. Can you please explain why a member of your customer services department gave me this “assurance” if TalkTalk were not able to meet it?

Can you also inform me, in detail, of what steps the technical department have taken since 29th January to resolve the issue? In the absence of any sort of contact from them I can only assume that they have not taken any steps at all.

Fourthly, on 30th January at 2.32pm, XXX stated “I must advise that the contract has not been broken as we have trying to provide you with service;”

The section of your own terms and conditions that I quoted in my previous message was:

3.1 We will provide the Services from the Go-Live Date until either you or we end this contract in the way set out in these terms and conditions (subject to any relevant Minimum Contract Period).

This mentions “providing” a service, but makes no mention of “trying” to provide a service. Please tell me, if I “tried” (but failed) to pay my TalkTalk bills would the company be as understanding as you seem to expect me to be? If I “tried” (but failed) to arrive at work at the time stated in my contract for thirty-one consecutive days do you think my employers would be sympathetic, or would they be entitled to end my contract?

Fifthly, in the same message XXX also states “although it has been an intermittent connection we are trying to resolve this matter by troubleshooting the issue with our Technical Department.”

Again I must take issue with the semantic distinction between “no service” and “intermittent” service. As I stated in my message of 28th January at 4.33pm, I estimate that the service has worked properly for a combined total of around twenty hours since the 2nd January. This amounts to a little over forty minutes per day on average. XXX’s statement seems to suggest that the connection has been a little unreliable, whereas in reality it has been completely and utterly unusable. It may interest you to know that, since my first attempt to cancel on 27th January, we have been able to make use of “the services” for a little over four minutes. To describe it as “intermittent”, therefore, is to stretch the definition of the word to breaking point.

Finally, on 28th January at 12.24pm, XXX stated “I have added 1 month’s subscription credit to your account, to compensate for the period of time you had no services and the reminder as a gesture of goodwill. This credit will be evident in your next billing invoice.”

Furthermore, in response to a previous complaint about my issue, sent on 7th January at 11.50am, a XXX stated “I would also like to apologise for the poor customer service you have received and as promised I have applied a goodwill gesture to your account for ₤10.00 inclusive of VAT. This will be seen on your next monthly invoice.”

Imagine my surprise, then, to discover that a payment of £XX was taken (by Direct Debit) from my bank account by “Tiscali Billing” on 1st February. This included, according to my itemized bill, £XX in subscription charges, and made no mention of either of the credits promised to me. Can you explain this oversight, and will you refund me this money as promised?

Please note that I have now instructed my bank not to honour any further Direct Debit requests from Tiscali or TalkTalk, due to the fact that you are not providing me with any service, and my lack of faith in your ability to charge me properly and fairly. If you believe you are entitled to any monies from me in the future you will need to invoice me. I will undertake to pay any and all charges that are fair and proper for any services that you manage to provide me with in future. Please take this message as notice of this.

Given all of the above, and all of the information in previous emails to you. My position remains as follows:
    • Since 2nd January 2010 Tiscali/TalkTalk have provided me with a functional service for a combined total of 20 out of 744 hours (under 3%).
    • This does not constitute adequate provision of the services that you are contractually obliged to provide me with.
    • I am, therefore, entitled to end the contract without penalty under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. These Acts state that a seller must provide goods that are ‘fit for the purpose’, 'as described', and of 'satisfactory quality', and that if a supplier fails to fulfill its side of the contract, for example by not delivering goods that are of a satisfactory quality, the customer is entitled to end said contract.
    • Furthermore, under Tiscali/TalkTalk’s terms and conditions (terms 12.4 – 12.4.2) I am entitled to end the contract without penalty if Tiscali/TalkTalk break a material term of the contract, and fail to remedy it within 28 days of a written notice.
    • Tiscali/TalkTalk have broken term 3.1 of the contract, which states that “We will provide the Services from the Go-Live Date until either you or we end this contract in the way set out in these terms and conditions (subject to any relevant Minimum Contract Period).” Tiscali/TalkTalk have, as noted above, failed to provide me with the services.
    • I first notified Tiscali/TalkTalk of their failure to provide me with the services by telephone on Saturday 2nd January at approximately 7pm. I first notified them by writing on Tuesday 5th January 2010 at 3.15pm in a message sent using the “Help” section of the TalkTalk website, which was responded to by XXX.
    • Since this time I have been in constant contact with Tiscali/TalkTalk by telephone and by email. At no point during this time have I stated that the problem has been rectified.
    • At 3.15pm today (Tuesday 2nd February 2010) it will have been exactly 28 days since I gave written notice of failure to provide the services.
    • Therefore, under Tiscali/TalkTalk’s terms and conditions (terms 12.4 - 12.4.2) I am entitled to end the contract without penalty (this notwithstanding my statutory right to cancel without penalty as laid out above) as of 3.15pm today.
    If you will not allow me to end my contract without incurring an early cancellation fee please provide me with a full and detailed explanation of which parts of this you do not accept, and your reasons for this. As stated in my previous message, if you do not believe you can agree to my position then please confirm this to me in writing. I will then treat this as a letter of deadlock , and raise a dispute with the Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

Yours Sincerely,

XXX
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Hi,

From what I can see you are now trying to cancel but are concerned this may reach a barrier due to a contractual stipulation, I'm tracking this also and have noted a call is arranged for 7pm today - please do let me know the outcome,
    Forum Member
    To anyone interested in the outcome TalkTalk have today allowed me to cancel without charge due to the ongoing technical problems.

It seems (at least according to the last technical advisor I spoke with) that the line is not good enough to support TV and Broadband simultaneously.

Anyway, the account is now closed. I will soon be with BT for broadband and Sky for TV.

Thanks to Chris for his attempts to help. DS - feel free to close this thread now if you want, or else let it die its natural death.