Beverley Knight: 'The X Factor is a monstrosity'

gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
Forum Member
✭✭
surely these type of comments will rule her out of the running for `the voice`?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a327259/beverley-knight-the-x-factor-is-a-monstrosity.html

Comments

• yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    surely these type of comments will rule her out of the running for `the voice`?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a327259/beverley-knight-the-x-factor-is-a-monstrosity.html

Maybe but she is so right with her comments.
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her but i doubt she would be asked anyway. I think they would want someone more current :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,389
    Forum Member
    DE53 wrote: »
    I love her but i doubt she would be asked anyway. I think they would want someone more current :yawn:

I really like Beverly and IMO is current, actually think she would be a good judge.
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amroussi wrote: »
    I really like Beverly and IMO is current, actually think she would be a good judge.

Ok, maybe current isn't the right word, popular?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,389
    Forum Member
    DE53 wrote: »
    Ok, maybe current isn't the right word, popular?
    That is true, she isn't the most popular choice, but TBF Danni wasn't that famous, and no one expected that and Kelly Rowland, I mean she isn't the most popular person :o
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont like music snobbery like that. Many contestants have spent years trying to get into the industry and have been unsuccessful, therefore they enter the X Factor (ie Matt Cardle).

Also people like Beverly and Elton need to stop bashing these shows, not everyone is lucky enough to get spotted and be given a contract. I think they forget that luck plays apart in getting signed aswell, it isnt just about being talented.

And I personally feel that it doesnt matter how you get into the industry as long as you work hard once you get their, which i would say most of the X Factor acts do.
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    "A lot of my friends say that I should go on that show, but I don't think I could get into bed with that monstrosity," Knight explained.

:D at her thinking she would actually be asked. Pipe down Beverley, you haven't been relevant for years. (Come to think of it, was she ever relevant actually?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    :D at her thinking she would actually be asked. Pipe down Beverley, you haven't been relevant for years. (Come to think of it, was she ever relevant actually?)

Methinks she dost protest too much;)
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member

Well she's certainly more relevant than X-Factor. Anyway, I think you will find she is and has always been very relevant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I do agree with most of what she says about the X Factor, but can't warm to her as a person and have always found her own music and live performances pretty forgettable. When I think of British females that I think are better, ironically Leona and Alexandra are amongst the first names I think of. I bet she'd hate that! :eek: :p
    Forum Member
    adayseye wrote: »
    Methinks she dost protest too much;)

Another singer in the long list who uses the show to get some much needed publicity. It's funny how she acts like she's above the show and yet she's about to release an album of covers. She's on her own record label too so it's not like there is label pressure to do covers. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She has an MBE and is respected by pretty much everyone in the industry (including Stevie Wonder and most music critics). She's also been recording music for nearly 20 years.

Come back and talk about how irrelevant she is when someone from the XF receives an MBE, lasts longer than 5 years or when Stevie Wonder is actually aware of their existence.

I don't agree with what she's saying either but thats no reason to attack her credentials imo.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm why would she be ruled out of The Voice for speaking against The X Factor? :confused:
  • Eloise TardellaEloise Tardella Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a great singer, but from reading that interview, she seems to be secretly seething about her relative lack of commercial success.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    She's a great singer, but from reading that interview, she seems to be secretly seething about her relative lack of commercial success.

I think that's what it boils down to for her. I don't judge people by commercial success, but her and her music just do nothing for me I'm afraid.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I dont like music snobbery like that. Many contestants have spent years trying to get into the industry and have been unsuccessful, therefore they enter the X Factor (ie Matt Cardle).

Also people like Beverly and Elton need to stop bashing these shows, not everyone is lucky enough to get spotted and be given a contract. I think they forget that luck plays apart in getting signed aswell, it isnt just about being talented.

And I personally feel that it doesnt matter how you get into the industry as long as you work hard once you get their, which i would say most of the X Factor acts do.

^this!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Erm why would she be ruled out of The Voice for speaking against The X Factor? :confused:

This is true, the US Voice judges do a lot of speaking out against XF and AI :p
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »

the voice is not exactly a million miles away from the x factor. if you read the article she also condemns the contestants of such shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's just trying to get publicity for her rubbish covers album.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just the same old stuff that gets trotted out. I always love how on one hand, you get people like her whining that they haven't worked hard for it. Then you come on here and everyone is moaning because so many of the acts have been kicking around the music industry for years!

Her economics is faulty as well. The X Factor generates millions for Simon Cowell and Sony to invest in X Factor winners - and also cover the shortfall from people like her who don't sell many albums. One "Spirit" will pay not only for every flop X Factor winner but also several Sony artists who aren't pulling their weight. It also provides a massive platform for big name artists to promote their material in the key period of the year. That's arguably it's biggest contribution to the music industry and it's certainly positive.

I also love how she wouldn't feel comfortable coaching X Factor contestants but was happy to coach D List celebrities for a whiff of exposure on Just The Two Of Us.

As for "doing the show", she'd never be invited on anyway. Well, maybe to Xtra Factor. I'm not sure why she or her friends think it's even possible - the DS reporter was plainly just fishing for something that might get a few people to read the interview and landed the hook right in her mouth.
    Forum Member
    franster wrote: »
    She has an MBE and is respected by pretty much everyone in the industry (including Stevie Wonder and most music critics). She's also been recording music for nearly 20 years.

Come back and talk about how irrelevant she is when someone from the XF receives an MBE, lasts longer than 5 years or when Stevie Wonder is actually aware of their existence.

I don't agree with what she's saying either but thats no reason to attack her credentials imo.

Well Stevie Wonder has sung with Leona at the Stand Up 2 Cancer event so pretty sure he is aware of her existence. She may have been recording music for 20 years but again I don't believe that makes her relevant. She has barely dented the charts and has never been a big force in the music industry.
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    I do agree with most of what she says about the X Factor, but can't warm to her as a person and have always found her own music and live performances pretty forgettable. When I think of British females that I think are better, ironically Leona and Alexandra are amongst the first names I think of. I bet she'd hate that! :eek: :p

Actually Beverley has been complimentary in the past about both Leona and Alex. She was at the x-factor final along with Gabrielle supporting Alex in 2008. I think her comments were about the show in general rather than specifically aimed at any individual from the show. And she has a point. The number of stars it has produced has been scarce considering the number of finalists over the series.
  • lizmlizm Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »

C'mon... people are allowed their opinions of the show..
    Elton and Beverley see how the contestants are exploited,
    I like how they are not scared to voice their opinions and try to pre warn people what they are getting into..
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Actually Beverley has been complimentary in the past about both Leona and Alex. She was at the x-factor final along with Gabrielle supporting Alex in 2008. I think her comments were about the show in general rather than specifically aimed at any individual from the show. And she has a point. The number of stars it has produced has been scarce considering the number of finalists over the series.

exactly, she's performing with Alex in Newcastle next month too!

I actually understand what she means, the show has changed dramatically from Alex and Leona being on it, even when the best 'singer' does win, the show always focusses on Novelty acts and the whole 'theatrics' and drama... It has gradually become more of a farce every year.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    exactly, she's performing with Alex in Newcastle next month too!

I actually understand what she means, the show has changed dramatically from Alex and Leona being on it, even when the best 'singer' does win, the show always focusses on Novelty acts and the whole 'theatrics' and drama... It has gradually become more of a farce every year.

Chico was probably the first true novelty act - before either of them did the show. And Leona's year actually had The MacDonald Brothers who made it to 4th. It's hard to believe that I watched the top 4 results in 2006 thinking that a spirited rendition of "Shang-a-Lang" might leave Leona at risk of elimination. :D