Forum Member
✭✭✭
Never anything on another night of DVDs lol

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never anything on another night of DVDs lol

Should that be "Never anything I want to watch on"??
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Au contraire......compared to the dark old days of 3 or 4 channels with hardly any sport on for example, one could argue it has rarely been better these days.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Au contraire......compared to the dark old days of 3 or 4 channels with hardly any sport on for example, one could argue it has rarely been better these days.

I concur.

You could take a great many schedules from the 'halcyon days' of 79s TV (and the lesser 80s) and find much very ordinary fare.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    I concur.

You could take a great many schedules from the 'halcyon days' of 79s TV (and the lesser 80s) and find much very ordinary fare.

Agreed!

In fact, there's a thread on these boards called "Odd scheduling" where the BBC is slated for showing TOO MUCH good television on Sunday night!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scheduling is patchy, it seems that there are certain nights when you find there's either too many, or two few choices. Everyone has different perceptions of "what's good" and "what's bad."

But if there are several nights when you think that there's too much choice and other nights when there's "naff all on." regardless of what interests you, then it must be the case.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadcast TV has become one big Blockbuster Bargain Bin.

(remember Blockbuster?)

Lots and lots... And most of it not very good.

No one is really putting on a "show" anymore, even on Saturday night it's like a computer is in charge of both commissioning programmes and in scheduling them.
  • Paul_FordPaul_Ford Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Broadcast TV has become one big Blockbuster Bargain Bin.

(remember Blockbuster?)

Lots and lots... And most of it not very good.

No one is really putting on a "show" anymore, even on Saturday night it's like a computer is in charge of both commissioning programmes and in scheduling them.

A proper show with big name stars and fabulous sets and lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-KrzEeh5R4
  • MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's dire because of the following reasons:

a) Producers are taking FEW risks...very safe choices in programmes - I don't know whether this is due to OFCOM jumping on people's backs
    b) Over-reliance of formulas, e.g. ITV with it's zeleb obsession
    c) Too MANY channels.
    d) The rise of PVR/On Demand service

Saturday's are now a black hole when it comes to TV. Says it all when an old stalwart "Casualty" gets the top ratings of 5m.....how long til the top rated show is 1.3m? We don't want to see zelebs diving, zelebs being silly etc. We want quality, not quantity.

I guess DVDs, CDs, the likes of Lovefilm and even game consoles such as the Wii/Xbox must having their best sales ever!

Let's face it....even TV is heading to a recession.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a recession TV would normally be expected to be even more popular than before.
  • MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    In a recession TV would normally be expected to be even more popular than before.

You would think wouldn't you? I really don't understand why a lot of the channels have given up the ghost.

When you've got a bog standard Freeview box, you're screwed. Even when I had Virgin Media and SKY in my previous properties, I was struggling to find things to watch!

I'm not into US dramas and sitcoms like "Girls"...more to a middle-class female audience imo or a.n other shows as I find them very long-winded.

The choice of films is very uninspired - I mean "Cool Effing Runnings"! Are the BBC REALLY hard up?

I guess there must be a money issue with some production companies. No wonder Holby/Casualty/Waterloo Rd hire ex-soap stars...must be cheaper and keeps them off JSA.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has never been more rubbish on the telly.

Likewise there have never been more quality programmes being shown either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think wouldn't you? I really don't understand why a lot of the channels have given up the ghost.

When you've got a bog standard Freeview box, you're screwed. Even when I had Virgin Media and SKY in my previous properties, I was struggling to find things to watch!

I'm not into US dramas and sitcoms like "Girls"...more to a middle-class female audience imo or a.n other shows as I find them very long-winded.

The choice of films is very uninspired - I mean "Cool Effing Runnings"! Are the BBC REALLY hard up?

I guess there must be a money issue with some production companies. No wonder Holby/Casualty/Waterloo Rd hire ex-soap stars...must be cheaper and keeps them off JSA.

Try "Suits" on Dave, one of the best dramas on TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just feel that the quality of television via choice and depth is one of the few things that has got better in life. The Likely Lads episode has suddenly flashed into my head - when they went all day trying to avoid knowing the result of an England game, so they could watch (probably) 40 minutes of highlights after 10 pm. How life has changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »

And that, if I may say so, both simply and admirably sums it up nicely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just feel that the quality of television via choice and depth is one of the few things that has got better in life. The Likely Lads episode has suddenly flashed into my head - when they went all day trying to avoid knowing the *result of an England game, so they could watch (probably) 40 minutes of highlights after 10 pm. How life has changed.

* They then discover when settling down to watch that the game was fogged off!

Oh! I was just settling down to watch that episode on MixFlix, avoided any spoilers all week and you go and give away the ending!

This reminds me of the ending of Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back where....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me!
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nineteen and eighty-three, my friend... Summer of.

Nightmarish. Oppressive. Suffocating.

Nowadays... is a glittering Gling-Glo, compared. Count yerself lucky, Lucky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoiler duly removed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    a) Producers are taking FEW risks...very safe choices in programmes
    b) Over-reliance on formulas

Bang on. That's why.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    clara28 wrote: »

And that's exactly right.

There's just more of it - so more rubbish and more quality shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    90s/early 00s were the best tv.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if TV is generally worse than in the past, but I do really struggle to find anything to watch - even with the full Sky package.

If it wasn't for the fact that Sky have all the sport worth watching I would call them tomorrow and cancel the whole lot.

What I will say is that TV has definitely dumbed down over the years. The current obsession with reality TV, zeleb rubbish and "talent" shows has become utterly ridiculous. Even the documentary channels have dumbed down and are showing the kind of shite you would expect to find on ITV 2.
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Even the documentary channels have dumbed down and are showing the kind of shite you would expect to find on ITV 2.

'Fraid that's often true. BBC4 isnt even the same channel it was five years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Fraid that's often true. BBC4 isnt even the same channel it was five years ago.

'cept for the constant repeats of programmes that were first shown back then.
    Forum Member
    'Fraid so.