Options

Leona Lewis vs Mariah Carey vs Whitney Houston vs Celine Dion

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
Forum Member
This is a similar thread to the Carpenters vs Whitney Houston vs Madonna vs Abba one but with four ladies that have strong voices and are similar in terms of style.

1 - Leona Lewis - absolutely amazing voice. Still hasn't reached her peak and feel she has a lot more to give.

2 - Mariah Carey - at her peak, she was one of the best vocalists worldwide. She has some incredible songs such as we belong together, which is probably her most recognised hit in recent times.

3 - Whitney Houston - was one of the best there was, although her voice did grate on me at times. She produced one of the strongest soundtracks of the 90's and became a legend.

4 - Celine Dion - Great voice, but not my cup of tea. She has some stunning tracks such as think twice, but her recent material is just a little too hard.

Comments

• Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many more joke threads does there need to be? The last one was bad enough.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Best vocalist out of them?

Either Leona or Whitney.

Person I prefer...
    Leona.

I think Mariah is awful - especially these days. Celine just never appealed to me.

But yeah, Leona is the best.
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney at her peak was one of the very best, if not best vocalist of all time! its a shame her demons ruined her in the end.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why Leona Lewis?

I would of easily had put Christina Aguilera, whose is on par with those women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why Leona Lewis?

I would of easily had put Christina Aguilera, whose is on par with those women.

I personally feel, whilst having a good voice, Christina Aguilera tends to shout some notes. Her voice isn't as captivating as the 4 above.
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best vocalist out of them?

Either Leona or Whitney.

Person I prefer...
    Leona.

I think Mariah is awful - especially these days. Celine just never appealed to me.

But yeah, Leona is the best.

Leona no where near the best. Jennifer Hudson and Brandy beats her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    inland16 wrote: »
    I personally feel, whilst having a good voice, Christina Aguilera tends to shout some notes. Her voice isn't as captivating as the 4 above.

Fair enough:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reem2011 wrote: »

I disagree. Many have stated she is up there with the best and that her voice is one of this generations best. I know she hasn't recently shown off her best range, but I think this next album is going to be a game changer.
  • Options
    eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I understand Jennifer Hudson but let's not kid ourselves that brandy can belt out a tune like leona lewis, I know it's all about preferences but it's a fact that leona lewis has a much more powerful voice than brandy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona should do an opera album. l loved that version of Ava Maria she did.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona isn't on the same level as the other 3, but that's my personal view
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona nowadays can out sing Mariah and had Whitney still been with us she could out sing her as well, the only one who can compete with Leona out of the four is Celine.
    Of course I'm basing this on how they all sound right now, if we are comparing each of them at their peak then it may be a different story.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Leona has had no where near as much success as the other three. That is only due to unfortunate circumstances and decisions by both her and her team... In terms of vocals she is actually on the same level but unfortunately because of the lack of success thing she has never really been able to showcase it like them. I think Whitney put on some of the most spectacular vocals performances ever heard/seen. They all bring something different though, they have similarities, but important differences too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely! if we are to judge fairly then all need to be compared when at their individual peaks. Mariah and Whitney both lost their voices as they got older, which is what happens, while even Celine can't sing like how she used to even though her voice has declined the least. Leona is still in her peak years voice wise.
  • Options
    James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Celine, purely out of my biased devotion to her, she sings with such conviction and makes sentiments that may seem cliched or whatever, but coming from her they seem real. It's just really refreshing having someone seemingly unconcerned with being cool or cheesy.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis?

For some reason, both she and Alexandra Burke seem to be adored on here as if they're seminal, genre-defining artists.

Though in fairness, I find all four mentioned in this thread to be pretty much dreck.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my teens I absolutely adored Mariah. Not so much of a fan these days. Gone are the days of the big voice now she seems to just warble a bit between the guest rappers. She seems far more concerned with how she looks and making sure the 'best' side of her face is on camera then how she sounds. Back in the day she was incredible.

Always thought Whitney was average at best. She never wrote a line and even at her peek her voice was imho not that special.

Celine is far too nasal.

Why is Leona even mentioned here?

I have to go with Mariah for old times sake but as I said before I can't say I'm a fan these days. But if we're basing it solely on vocals as in right now (not at their individual peaks) Leona could sing the lot of them under the table.

Pity Mariah's voice seems to have disappeared. Still. Can't all be like Streisand, pension age and still sound as good as she did the day she started in the industry.
  • Options
    Gambit_is_aceGambit_is_ace Posts: 9,458
    Forum Member
    Celine is easily the best of the listed four. She still has her voice and can put on a great show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely! if we are to judge fairly then all need to be compared when at their individual peaks. Mariah and Whitney both lost their voices as they got older, which is what happens, while even Celine can't sing like how she used to even though her voice has declined the least. Leona is still in her peak years voice wise.

Whitney and Mariah didn't just lose their voices, i think they just didn't bother to look after them. Barbra Streisand is in her 70's and she has very much looked after her voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney and Mariah didn't just lose their voices, i think they just didn't bother to look after them. Barbra Streisand is in her 70's and she has very much looked after her voice.

That's true. I knew Whitney had her drug issues but I'm not sure what happened to Mariah. There have always been rumours she was an alcoholic. Maybe that caused it
  • Options
    evkylemeatsixevkylemeatsix Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Definitely Celine. Shes one that ive never lost interest in and stood by her genre. I liked Mariah til she became RnB and Whitney went a little bit in that direction too. Lost interest in Leona when she released that trash 'Collide'

She's still the strongest seller out of them all too. Although not by the millions like she used too.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    easy..... they are all bloody awful!

all 'oversing' , which imho detracts from what they might be able to do. im told they are all competent singers with this or that range. but employing vocal gymnastics does for many of us make listening to them unpleasant.

you never see such criticism of karen carpenter or dusty ...
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably Leona but thats a personal preference as I grew up with her music and I was probably a generation late to enjoy the other three's peak so only know their classics.

That said, all four are brilliant vocalists.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis shouldn't be on that list, and there's little point in continuing the debate of the vocal trinity as one is dead, one is irrelevant, and the other can't sing anymore.

In their prime, all three women were incredible singers but that is a time long past and they have nothing more to offer modern music other than satisfying fans, which is what they should be doing anyway (obviously Whitney is excluded from this).

If Mariah Carey still had her 90s voice then she would still be successful, as she does tend to adapt to shifts in musical trends quite well. But because of the state of her physically (this is both image and vocal) she's just become some kind of parody of her 2005 self.