10,000BC CHANNEL 5 mon 2nd feb

Comments

• Holte999Holte999 Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    So they are starving, find a bush covered in berries, eat 2 then wander off ???
  • TracyTracy Posts: 6,229
    Forum Member
    For anyone who is enjoying this show, Have a look at Siberia on Pick its another survivalist show filmed in Siberia with 16 people taking part its only just started.....

Isn't that a drama series?
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seen some of siberia yesterday and it stinks of fake,but i think i might just watch it.nothing to do with all those beautiful people though :)
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know...they are doing their best but it takes years to learn how to hunt efficiently in the circumstances they are in.

But unfortunately they wouldn't last that long, to learn it properly. Stone Age guys had time on their hands, but this lot haven't same mindset, which is very unfortunate too. But maybe when they leave the show, they will have learned not to take life for granted. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick has Cops on at present. When is Siberia on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show will never work, as the campers know they can go home at any time.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    Eh, hunting isn't the way forward! Rubbish, you hunt and hunt and go further afield until you drop!

Exactly. Trying to live off the deer that the production gave you until the end isn't actually entering into the spirit of what this is supposed to be about.
    If I was there, even if the camp had been provided with a deer, I'd still want to hunt simply because I'd want to get a sense of what it would have been like and what I'd have to do.

As the programme illustrated you can't rely on your food stores alone as things can go wrong, such as food being wasted, or being fed on by other animals, or going bad.

Good on Paul I say.
    It's something to do which would fill you with a sense of purpose and make a change from the boredom of foraging around for berries and burdock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone who is enjoying this show, Have a look at Siberia on Pick its another survivalist show filmed in Siberia with 16 people taking part its only just started.....

Yes I saw the first episode of Siberia. I enjoyed it. But I'm not convinced of the 'reality' side of it. It's entertaining enough though, and both 10,000 BC and Siberia are leaps and bounds better than I Survived a Zombie Apocalypse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't want to be around fake people!

He's probably trying to treat this as though it's Big Brother. It's not a bloody gameshow you attention seeking self-serving lazy arse.

I couldn't believe it when it was revealed that JP is 29 years old.:o
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several missed opportunities there - a big stick would have been entertaining when the mouse was spotted and even a small chance of an instant flat mouseburger...

And JP staying? Didn't expect that! Though setting fire to the bed was quite an achievement so even if he had left he could go with his head held high :p

They will need to be really close for that bow and arrow to stand a chance but I think I'd be fairly impressed if they just got close enough to even try so I'd definitely like to see that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fast left wrote: »
    seen some of siberia yesterday and it stinks of fake,but i think i might just watch it.nothing to do with all those beautiful people though :)

Is there a forum thread for Siberia?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several missed opportunities there - a big stick would have been entertaining when the mouse was spotted and even a small chance of an instant flat mouseburger...

And JP staying? Didn't expect that! Though setting fire to the bed was quite an achievement so even if he had left he could go with his head held high :p

They will need to be really close for that bow and arrow to stand a chance but I think I'd be fairly impressed if they just got close enough to even try so I'd definitely like to see that.

With all these survival reality programmes that are on at the moment with them all struggling to light a fire, just do that. Stick a hot rock in some straw and hey presto, there's your fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... with them all struggling to light a fire, just do that. Stick a hot rock in some straw and hey presto, there's your fire.
    :D Did you write Viz Top Tips in a previous life?
    Is there a forum thread for Siberia?
    I put one in the Cult section since there was one there for the US version and it seemed an appropriate place for what it is.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2054919
    It looks like people are giving up in advance because it didn't get a second series.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jp is really a waste of a place here. Such a lazy git.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    paul's enthusiastic but clueless i think.
    It would seem that way - all that talk about hunting, honing his spear and then stalking a boar without anything to kill it with!

His face reminds me a lot of Nick Frost.
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    Maybe if JP had been helping Paul then he wouldn't have overheard anything on the crew radio.
    People are not looking deep just to dismiss JP's condition as laziness. He is going through turmoil, probably pronounced depression (which, in itself, is immobilising). If there was any doubt, it all came out as he was set to leave and apologised, tearfully, describing his past patterns of quitting. At least he had the temerity to try and break this pattern by staying. Kudos for that I say.
    Forum Member
    He is a good advert for bringing back National Service!

An ignorant comment that glosses over his inner turmoil.
    Forum Member
    I wanted to help you guys out JP boo hoo:cry:

Jeez.. do you have any compassion? The guy is really going through it.
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Jp is really a waste of a place here. Such a lazy git.
    That's as far as you see is it? Pathetic.
    Forum Member
    This is my last post here. Partly due to deciding that the programme is no longer worth watching (I actually snoozed off at one point) and partly due to my disgust with a lot of the snide, superficial comments on JP here. Not sure whether he has become an easy target or whether it just reveals shallow perception. If you have ever been through inner turmoil, perhaps you would be more sympathetic and understanding. He is still there, i.e. trying to break the past pattern of quitting. Clearly he is suffering and he is to be commended for biting the bullet and defying his desire to leave. No one has picked up on what that takes......
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    That's as far as you see is it? Pathetic.

Yep.

It's hard for everyone without having to carry passengers. If he wanted to 'find' himself there's better ways of doing it than a reality TV show where a work ethic, which he doesn't seem to have, is paramount.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    It's hard for everyone without having to carry passengers. If he wanted to 'find' himself there's better ways of doing it than a reality TV show where a work ethic, which he doesn't seem to have, is paramount.
    I think we will see the proof of whether the turnaround sticks - if he didn't feel a connection to anyone then it would be much harder to join in but now that there seems to have been some time speaking to people maybe there's a chance.
    Maybe if someone had sworn at him right near the beginning it might have been different?

Or possibly he's had a worse case of 'lifestyle cold turkey' than the others - some were clearly better mentally prepared to cope with it than others. There's a metaphorical message in the burning bed thing somewhere too!
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would seem that way - all that talk about hunting, honing his spear and then
    I thought it was a bit odd that he was whittling a wooden spearpoint while in the antibiotics tent last episode,
    when in them days the spearpoints were made of incredibly sharp flint ... lightweight and very effective.
    Are they actually not allowed to have sharp flint for elfnsafety reasons?
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a bit odd that he was whittling a wooden spearpoint while in the antibiotics tent last episode,
    when in them days the spearpoints were made of incredibly sharp flint ... lightweight and very effective.
    Are they actually not allowed to have sharp flint for elfnsafety reasons?

Knapping a sharp edge on a piece of flint is easy and is sufficient to make a basic scraper or cutting edge. Making a flint spearpoint is very time-consuming and requires great skill - something that would be learned as an 'apprentice'.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An ignorant comment that glosses over his inner turmoil.

Thank you for your comment. Going on a reality TV show knowing that the conditions would be harsh, the work would be hard, and that he would have to contribute fully to enable the team to survive, is probably not a good idea if he is going through 'inner turmoil'. Why should anyone decide to become a passenger and let others do the work to feed him, etc. That is selfish, lazy and ignorant!