Options

PRS licence - is there a loophole?

veseyvesey Posts: 375
Forum Member
hi all,

my work have just received a letter saying we need a PRS licence to have our radio on. its gonna cost us about £300 and there is no way my boss will pay that in the current climate!

is there any loopholes?? or is that it, I have to work in silence from now on?

the music industry stinks! :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member
    Listen to 5Live, TalkSport or Radio 4?
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vesey wrote: »
    hi all,

my work have just received a letter saying we need a PRS licence to have our radio on. its gonna cost us about £300 and there is no way my boss will pay that in the current climate!

the music industry stinks! :mad::mad::mad:

Headphones and personal radios.
    You see, its this stinking disgusting behaviour, where the radio stations have already paid to broadcast this content, that makes me feel sick.
    The music industry is killing itself and it doesn't even realise it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    headphones are a health and safety hazard where I work!

I hope piracy kills off this greed
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Check out Absolute Radio's page about listening at work:

http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/listen/at_work.html?utm_source=left_nav
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PRS are getting out of control.

Workplaces are being harassed and threatened for fees, and now music videos are blocked in the UK on Youtube.. where will it end?

People who have the radio on in the garage or whatever when working in the garden will probably be next since people walking past might hear it - PRS better get on the case! :rolleyes:

They aren't doing themselves any favours in the long term as the public will just end up turning against them with the letters/phonecalls to offices demanding payment and current Youtube situation.
  • Options
    adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stream radio from a foreign station? Don't think this comes under the jurisdiction of the PRS- or does it???

I'm with "stateofgameplay"- by all means charge a PRS fee if you're playing CDs publicly, but why are we paying twice? What's the difference between 100 people listening to 100 radios (no PRS) and 100 people listening to 1 radio (PRS due)?
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    adc82140 wrote: »
    What's the difference between 100 people listening to 100 radios (no PRS) and 100 people listening to 1 radio (PRS due)?

99 radios. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is getting so out of hand! I'm almost scared that if my mobile rings when i'm on the bus and a member of the PRS is onboard, i'll get fined for a public performance!!
  • Options
    vcsvcs Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    We'll need a licence next to drive in our cars. I find it a stupid carry on, all because they are struggling with the down turn in the economy. Again picking on the guys on the ground.

Artists like Robbie Williams, Amy Winehouse etc have enough money, they should feel proud that radio stations want to play their music and people want to listen!
  • Options
    xtralargeanorakxtralargeanorak Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    hi all,

my work have just received a letter saying we need a PRS licence to have our radio on. its gonna cost us about £300

It's just the kick in the teeth Great British industry needs in these troubled economic times - Not!

I'm thinking of starting a humble internet radio station with not more than 25 computers / wi-fi radios able to listen concurrently. I'll need to fork out at least around £300 a year in licenses just for sharing some of my CD collection (which I've already legally bought) with a couple of people.

I think it's crazy that shops, garages etc are charged for music while you work when the radio stations have already paid PRS and PPL. It's not as if the workers and customers have their Grundig Tape Recorders at the ready to get a cr*p recording of Robbie or Amy when there's P2P and the man in the pub with his plastic bag full of pirate CDs!

I'm not a smoker but it's rather like me paying 6 pounds for 20 cigarettes - smoking them outside my office and the Government charging passers by for secondary smoking!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vcs wrote: »
    We'll need a licence next to drive in our cars.

Steady on... that'll never happen.
  • Options
    CapitalLifeCapitalLife Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll need a licence next to drive in our cars. I find it a stupid carry on, all because they are struggling with the down turn in the economy. Again picking on the guys on the ground.

Artists like Robbie Williams, Amy Winehouse etc have enough money, they should feel proud that radio stations want to play their music and people want to listen!
    Yes but the Artist doesn't get money from the PRS unless they are the Composer (writer) or own the Publisher. So you may have a rant against the Artists, but they don't get masses from the PRS unless they have written the lyrics/music (and you'd be surprised how many of them don't write their own stuff).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ignore the letter and tell them you don't have a radio when they phone up (which they did at our office 2-3 times within a week). After this they will probably go away. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have Sky TV on all day at work, mainly for the news and sport. But if we tuned to a radio station being rebroadcast on Sky (which we don't but go with me on this one) would that make us liable for PRS?
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member

Umm... a "driving licence"?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beat Nick wrote: »
    We have Sky TV on all day at work, mainly for the news and sport. But if we tuned to a radio station being rebroadcast on Sky (which we don't but go with me on this one) would that make us liable for PRS?
    Definitely. PRS has no distinction between radio or TV broadcast in regards to a requirement to hold a licence. In fact, you'll probably need a licence for the news and sport you watch on TV (if it contains any music clips requiring royalties, commercials an all).

Sources: http://www.prsformusic.com/playingbroadcastingonline/music_for_businesses/Pages/FAQ.aspx#4 & http://www.ipo.gov.uk/consult-musiclicensing-summary.pdf

Indeed, TalkSPORT and LBC may be troublesome in the fact that if any commercials contain any musical segments in it that requires a royalty payment, then you'll be stuck. I would guess that the same could apply to any musical piece or segment used in any BBC news content or documentary. Basically, I fear the PRS has stuffed any way of playing talk radio unless they reject the playing of any music requiring royalty payments, particularly troublesome for commercial stations.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually support the PRS in the current YouTube thingy... they have after all made millions of pounds out of broadcasting copyrighted material for next to nothing (and for a long time paid nothing at all) but I don't understand why businesses have to pay to have the radio on in an office. It seems absurd to me. The radio station has already paid PRS and if it's OK to listen on headphones..? Seems silly.
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    oh for pities sakes why are people so gullible? What you don't get is if people still accept this extortion then the PRS will carry on doing it. the radio station has paid the PRS so the listener owes nothing. I don't care about what people say the PRS are sanctioned criminals and IMHO the line gets drawn here!
  • Options
    chunkcchunkc Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What ever happened to workers playtime??
    :mad:
    http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/workersplaytime.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh for pities sakes why are people so gullible? What you don't get is if people still accept this extortion then the PRS will carry on doing it. the radio station has paid the PRS so the listener owes nothing. I don't care about what people say the PRS are sanctioned criminals and IMHO the line gets drawn here!

storys like this one http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7029892.stm dont really persuade my boss to ignore the letter
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    storys like this one http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7029892.stm dont really persuade my boss to ignore the letter

the court is corrupt and the judge is guilty of sanctioned extortion. what we need is a big firm to fight this. someone who will not stand up to to bullying and highway robbery
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    I actually support the PRS in the current YouTube thingy... they have after all made millions of pounds out of broadcasting copyrighted material for next to nothing (and for a long time paid nothing at all) but I don't understand why businesses have to pay to have the radio on in an office. It seems absurd to me. The radio station has already paid PRS and if it's OK to listen on headphones..? Seems silly.

It does, doesn't it? The radio station is broadcasting and the bloke in the office is listening, but in PRS's view they are both putting on a performance. Which is, despite the many arguments to the contrary, contrary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »

I tell you what is silly. That the PRS have seen fit to demand youtube pays all that money for giving all those artists free promotion and exposure on their hugely popular site. Well now there will no more of that and the music industry will suffer even more in this climate. Its bad enough as it is - people can't effort to buy music in this depression, now the PRS have cut off their nose to spite not only their face but the whole music industry.

As for demanding employers pay for radios at work they are hurting the radio stations that will lose audience and the stations have already paid their PRS on the music they play. What more do the PRS want, blood?? No business is going to pay that in this climate especially, they will just ban radios at work! But these idiots don't live in the real world just like a lot of people these days, this government especially.

I think the PRS should be abolished, no wonder everybody is doing things illegally, the model is unfair and unworkable.
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    Employers should write to the radio station telling them they have stopped listening because of PRS costs.
  • Options
    pepstarpepstar Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beat Nick wrote: »

Yes... even if you are listening to music channels... you have to pay prs.

Also, the PRS and PPL are separate organiations and represent different areas of the music industry... SO, strictly speaking even if you pay your PRS, the PPL can come round to your workplace and say 'you need a ppl licence as well as a prs licence'

basically even if you have a PRS licence you are STILL breaking the law as you dont have a PPL licence its absolutely crazy!