Options

Quality of the Beano

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong here but The Beano I remember of the early 80s (still have them all in the loft!) was very entertaining and also a trifle subversive in comparison to the other DC Thompson competitors, which kept it strong in the age of the "more TISWAS" IPC comics like Whizzer & Chips. As I grew out of the comic (post-85 I guess) I felt it was becoming "softer" and thus blander in an attempt to appeal, but that this somewhat missed the point.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read it for a while, but does it still say Every Thursday, even though it comes out on a Wednesday?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I grew up reading the 80s Beano (and its sister comics Dandy, Beezer, Topper) and read them for the most part of the 80s. During childhood I also made it a point to go out and seek older copies (60s 70s whatever I could find) and "borrowed" older Beanos from the 70s from older cousins etc. I enjoyed the Beano of the 80s and prior to the 80s, and having checked the Beano post 90s at random over the years it has changed for the worse IMO. Nowadays I wouldn't even try to get my younger nephew to read the comic, but I would if it was like the Beano I knew.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I haven't read it for a while, but does it still say Every Thursday, even though it comes out on a Wednesday?
    Nope, that's finally been corrected, "Every Wednesday!" is next to the B in the logo.
    I haven't read it for years but I've noticed it's gone very expensive as of late. Isn't it around the £1.50 mark now? :eek:
    Yeah - when there's no covermount. So-called free gifts cost an extra £1! Of course, they no longer call the gifts free, but the word gift implies that it should be free... I'm not fooled.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what sort of circulation it has these days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    I grew up reading the 80s Beano (and its sister comics Dandy, Beezer, Topper) and read them for the most part of the 80s. During childhood I also made it a point to go out and seek older copies (60s 70s whatever I could find) and "borrowed" older Beanos from the 70s from older cousins etc. I enjoyed the Beano of the 80s and prior to the 80s, and having checked the Beano post 90s at random over the years it has changed for the worse IMO. Nowadays I wouldn't even try to get my younger nephew to read the comic, but I would if it was like the Beano I knew.

How come the Beezer and Topper folded but the Dandy and Beano are still going?

Sometimes I wonder if they just keep it going for the sake of tradition more than anything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Nope, that's finally been corrected, "Every Wednesday!" is next to the B in the logo.Yeah - when there's no covermount. So-called free gifts cost an extra £1! Of course, they no longer call the gifts free, but the word gift implies that it should be free... I'm not fooled.

The "Every Thursday" bit caught me out a few times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »

Good question, I don't see it in the shops as much as I used to.

Maybe this could mean the end of an era.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member

Nor do I. It'll be a shame if it does go, but it won't be surprising. Most kids these days are probably more interested in games consoles and the internet.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    My favourite comics were Beano and Buster. This was early - late 90's circa.

Does anyone rememer when the Bash St kids got sent to a very posh school and all changed their characters and personalities for a few weeks? Then something happened and they went back to their old school again. I remember pug / plug face,

They brought a VHS out for it too
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I've got every annual from 1970 to 2011 (my mum still buys me one ever xmas since 1993 and i collected the rest when I was little) and I must say I think it was the best in the 70s and 80s. I don't like the more modern ones.

Same for me. I got my first in my Christmas stocking in 1976 and have continued to get one up until last year. Can't say I actually read the new ones though.

The 70s and 80s were definitely the prime Beanos. I didn't like it when the illustrations become full colour.
  • Options
    WolfGirl2WolfGirl2 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I used to love the Beano I think I still have all my old copies in the attic somewhere! I was even part of the Beano club you got some great goodies when you joined I remember wearing my Beano club T-shirt proudly to school!
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WolfGirl2 wrote: »
    I used to love the Beano I think I still have all my old copies in the attic somewhere! I was even part of the Beano club you got some great goodies when you joined I remember wearing my Beano club T-shirt proudly to school!

I never joined but I wanted the Gnasher badge.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Bash Street Kids change was supposed to be permanent but after fan backlash they went back to their usual ways. Sounds like a publicity stunt though.

I also fondly rememember Whizzer & Chips. That was actually a brilliant comic, incredible characters. Store Wars was one of my faves.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Not read "The Beano","The Dandy","The Beezer","Buster" or "Whizzer and Chips" in years.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I saw the comic in a local newsagent of mine today so it's still around. I don't see as much of the "Classics from the Comics" or the funsized ones I used to get a few years ago which focused on only one or two characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the comic in a local newsagent of mine today so it's still around. I don't see as much of the "Classics from the Comics" or the funsized ones I used to get a few years ago which focused on only one or two characters.

Remember those, "Summer Specials" i think they were called.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They made three as far as I know, but none for the Dandy.

I was in The Works not so long ago and saw a three DVD box set of them for £4.99 it has the Beano video, Beano Video stars and a third one which I can't remember the name of name of and I never even knew existsed.

Can anyone confirm if there were none for the Dandy made?

I've seen the first Beano video one and it ruined things for me as the characters did not sound like how I imagined they would have done. I know most of the characters are comic children but I still imagined they would have had more mature voices.

Still, had it's good points, it featured The Pink Glove storyline which I never read the ending of because I missed the comic, so I eventually (after many years though) found out the ending :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They brought out Summer Specials of the Beano which was basically a larger version of the comic, but I think what you're thinking of is the Comic Libraries. These were about A5 size and were basically one extended storyline of one particular strip.

I haven't seen them for ages though! They probably stopped these.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did join for 55p and got both badges. God knows where they are now though, probably in my folks loft somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaiya wrote: »
    I think the Bash Street Kids change was supposed to be permanent but after fan backlash they went back to their usual ways. Sounds like a publicity stunt though.

I also fondly rememember Whizzer & Chips. That was actually a brilliant comic, incredible characters. Store Wars was one of my faves.

There was a story about that, if you remember. I'm not sure if that was just a storyline or it was the end of something that was going to happen for real and then they backed out of.

Can anyone advise me any further?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, that's finally been corrected, "Every Wednesday!" is next to the B in the logo.Yeah - when there's no covermount. So-called free gifts cost an extra £1! Of course, they no longer call the gifts free, but the word gift implies that it should be free... I'm not fooled.

Are Dennis the Menace's parents still called "Dennis's Dad" and "Dennis's Mum"? As he now has a little sister, it might no longer seem appropriate. Plus the joke was quite lame to start with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My favourite comics were Beano and Buster. This was early - late 90's circa.

Does anyone rememer when the Bash St kids got sent to a very posh school and all changed their characters and personalities for a few weeks? Then something happened and they went back to their old school again. I remember pug / plug face,

That was in 1994, to mark their 40th birthday.
    You're talking about The Dennis the Menace Fan Club, which was replaced by the Beano Club in 1998. That club folded last year.
    Shaiya wrote: »

Yes, it was a publicity stunt.
    Not read "The Beano","The Dandy","The Beezer","Buster" or "Whizzer and Chips" in years.
    Beezer ceased in 1993, Whizzer and Chips in 1990, and Buster in 2000.
    Classics and the Fun-Sizes were recently discontinued. :(
    Those are separate. The comics focusing on one or two characters are the Comic Libraries, and their successors the Fun-Sizes.
    They made three as far as I know, but none for the Dandy.

I was in The Works not so long ago and saw a three DVD box set of them for £4.99 it has the Beano video, Beano Video stars and a third one which I can't remember the name of name of and I never even knew existsed.

Can anyone confirm if there were none for the Dandy made?
    There were two Beano videos. There was also a TV adaptation of Bananaman and two for Dennis and Gnasher. The third video would be one of those.
    They brought out Summer Specials of the Beano which was basically a larger version of the comic, but I think what you're thinking of is the Comic Libraries. These were about A5 size and were basically one extended storyline of one particular strip.

I haven't seen them for ages though! They probably stopped these.
    I'm afraid so. The Fun-Sizes replaced them in 1997, then they ended last year.
    There was a story about that, if you remember. I'm not sure if that was just a storyline or it was the end of something that was going to happen for real and then they backed out of.

Can anyone advise me any further?
    As I said above, it was just a stunt to mark their birthday.
    Are Dennis the Menace's parents still called "Dennis's Dad" and "Dennis's Mum"? As he now has a little sister, it might no longer seem appropriate. Plus the joke was quite lame to start with.
    It's usually just Dad and Mum. Their real names have still not been revealed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4037&hilit=ABC+circulation+figures
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see the Beano's future in branded spin-offs such as cartoons and games, rather than in print form.

To put the 40,000 figure into context, a standard issue of a Batman or X-Men title is unlikely to shift more than 100,000 copies worldwide. Yet these properties remain absolutely massive in films, cartoons, toys, games and other spin-offs.