Options

The Jimmy Saville Situation: How Could Effect The BBC?.

Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi! All
Now the thing is that yes sometimes we all complain about the BBC and the way they dumb down some of their programmes and also I get annoyed about the way they just seem to sack or get rid of some of their presenters, where as it does not matter what others do they appear to be as good as the bosses favourites.

Also what with the cost of Sky and Virgin etc, there is an on going debate about the licence fee and what should happen and the future of the fee.

But speaking for myself I would rather have the BBC any day than have to put up with just Sky, now Sky has had the phone hacking situation etc. Despite that it appears that it has come out unscathed.

So seeing as we all know how corrupt Murdoch can be/has been, now that sadly the situation has come about regarding Jimmy Saville sadly giving Murdoch ammunition to really do damage to and attack the BBC.

What damage do you think it will do to the BBC and seeing as the Tories obviously support Murdoch do you think the BBC will have its licence taken away?.

I would say to all of you to support the BBC.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    The media is totally corrupt, ALL of it. Enjoy :)
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Hi! All
    Now the thing is that yes sometimes we all complain about the BBC and the way they dumb down some of their programmes and also I get annoyed about the way they just seem to sack or get rid of some of their presenters, where as it does not matter what others do they appear to be as good as the bosses favourites.

Also what with the cost of Sky and Virgin etc, there is an on going debate about the licence fee and what should happen and the future of the fee.

But speaking for myself I would rather have the BBC any day than have to put up with just Sky, now Sky has had the phone hacking situation etc. Despite that it appears that it has come out unscathed.

So seeing as we all know how corrupt Murdoch can be/has been, now that sadly the situation has come about regarding Jimmy Saville sadly giving Murdoch ammunition to really do damage to and attack the BBC.

What damage do you think it will do to the BBC and seeing as the Tories obviously support Murdoch do you think the BBC will have its licence taken away?.

I would say to all of you to support the BBC.

Do please try to keep a sense of proportion.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Catholic Church school of damage control is out in force again. Hush things up, protect the bureaucracy, the institution must ensure survival, sod anyone who gets hurt along the way.
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Do please try to keep a sense of proportion.

Over 4 decades, 120 lines of enquiry, at least 25 victims, & a national problem - yes I have a sense of proportion, the proportion of how much the BBC looked the other way when all this was happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    Over 4 decades, 120 lines of enquiry, at least 25 victims, & a national problem - yes I have a sense of proportion, the proportion of how much the BBC looked the other way when all this was happening.

It does not, however, have any bearing on the survival of the BBC in the way that has been suggested.
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    .... now Sky has had the phone hacking situation etc. ....
    By comparison, the Sky phone hacking, looks like a bit of pinching at Woolworths.
    Two allegations of phone hacking at BSkyB within minutes of each other.

I've been pretty convinced over the last few days that the 'Sir Jimmy' allegations have been set up to distract from a bigger story.

Is this it - "Phone Hacking at BSkyB"?

I wonder what Tom Watson will say now about the mafia

or not?
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :sleep:
    It does not, however, have any bearing on the survival of the BBC in the way that has been suggested.

No, but it does suggest that after decades where there was quite a wide knowledge of this, where the victims were effectively bullied and coerced into silence; the opportunity now exists for then to sue the ass off Saville's estate and the BBC.

If the cases of alleged rape can be proven beyond reasonable doubt, then the plaintiffs would be entitled to, and deserve a decent pay-out with exemplary damages. If the case went further and showed that events had taken place within BBC premises, with the knowledge or negligence of managers, then the Beeb would be well advised to seek to make a generous out-of-court settlement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .... what looks like the BBC's corporate neglect of children within it's walls, over four decades ....
    Over 4 decades,
    Where is this four decades claim coming from?

Jim'll Fix It 1975–1994
    and
    Top of the Pops effectively 1964 - 1982.

I make that three decades.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MPs talking about the BBC being 'corrupt' means the jokes just write themselves. I'd rather the new DG was able to concentrate on making the BBC better for the future and let the police investigate illegal activities.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    Where is this four decades claim coming from?
    The first allegation is from 1959.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two allegations of phone hacking at BSkyB within minutes of each other.

I've been pretty convinced over the last few days that the 'Sir Jimmy' allegations have been set up to distract from a bigger story.

Is this it - "Phone Hacking at BSkyB"?

I wonder what Tom Watson will say now about the mafia

or not?

What phone hacking at BSkyB??

Do you have a link to the story??
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    franchise wrote: »
    MPs talking about the BBC being 'corrupt' means the jokes just write themselves. I'd rather the new DG was able to concentrate on making the BBC better for the future and let the police investigate illegal activities.

Agreed. And let's mention here that, for a long time, rumours without hard evidence were all anyone had to go on.

Even the police couldn't find any evidence.

That's going to change now, but the evidence, when Saville was at the BBC didn't exist like it's beginning to now.

The current stream of allegations wasn't around back then, in fact it appears that many victims didn't come foreward until recently.

This does not point to a cover up.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an awkward one for Murdoch. Presumably, he'll be enjoying his papers slinging mud at the BBC, but at the same time, he might not want some of the allegations about former politicians making their way into the papers.

Is Savile's religion getting a mention in the Murdoch press's reporting, or is that a little too uncomfortable to handle?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    The first allegation is from 1959.
    Young at Heart 1960 – Tyne Tees Television.

I am querying allegations against BBC 'corpoate behaviour', not Sir Jimmy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    What phone hacking at BSkyB??

Do you have a link to the story??
    Ask Lee Morris and cyril-furr, not me!

I'm as intrigued as you!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ask Lee Morris and cyril-furr, not me!

I'm as intrigued as you!

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if it had happened
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an awkward one for Murdoch. Presumably, he'll be enjoying his papers slinging mud at the BBC, but at the same time, he might not want some of the allegations about former politicians making their way into the papers.

Is Savile's religion getting a mention in the Murdoch press's reporting, or is that a little too uncomfortable to handle?

Mr Murdoch didnt force Jimmy Saville to molest kids.

Presumably your comments about Sky are mainly influenced by your arguements with your neighbour, the Sky installer, as per usual?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did I mention BSkyB, George? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's little doubt that Savile manipulated the press. I seem to recall that in the Louis Threoux documentary there was a scene where Savile had broken his ankle (or something like that) and made a phone call to alert the press who turned up to take pictures which appeared in the tabloids the next day. Why did they do this simply because he contacted them?

If we're to believe what is being said, lots of people in the press had their suspicions and when Savile was confronted with allegations and a threat that they might be published, he suggested that the charities he funded would lose out if anything got into the public domain. So I'd suggest the press - quite possibly including titles owned by Murdoch - might have questions to answer as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did I mention BSkyB, George? :confused:

Its all a vast ring wing conspiracy to attack the BBC. I can disclose Murdoch, Jeremy Hunt, Paul Dacre, Archie Norman all had a conference 50 years ago to brainwash Jimmy Saville to molest kids knowing that in 50 years time this would wound the BBC as it supressed its own news programmes from digging up things embarrasing to its own management.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I'd suggest the press - quite possibly including titles owned by Murdoch - might have questions to answer as well.

Damned if the do for attacking the BBC; damned if they dont for allowing the BBC to continue to allow a dodgy character access to kids. The primary responsibility (after the offenders) is those who permitted his access to kids.
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    Yes sorry I did mention Sky but I will actually put the record straight and say it was Murdoch's press that play a big part in phone hacking[News Corporation], but anyway that aside and yes his papers did go along in not bringing the story out years ago as someone else has suggested.

But anyway do you think the BBC will be closed down by the Tories, as I have said I hope not but with Murdoch's attacks then you never know sadly.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    There's little doubt that Savile manipulated the press. I seem to recall that in the Louis Threoux documentary there was a scene where Savile had broken his ankle (or something like that) and made a phone call to alert the press who turned up to take pictures which appeared in the tabloids the next day. Why did they do this simply because he contacted them?

To be honest, I'd imagine the Press would have turned up as soon as they found out regardless of if he informed them, given they at times seem more than happy to report on some "celeb" having a new hair do, or different colour of nail varnish* on slow new days.

I wouldn't put that down as any real manipulation of the press, given they've covered "celebs" broken ankles etc in the past, sometimes without being informed by the celeb or anyone who would have known about it in a way that would have been legal for them to have been told (I've little doubt that the press have paid, quite happily, for information that should have been confidential from people working in hospitals).

*That might be a slight exaggeration, but given some of the **** the Sun, Mail and Express have published as "news" I wouldn't be surprised if at some point it has been a "story".
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Damned if the do for attacking the BBC; damned if they dont for allowing the BBC to continue to allow a dodgy character access to kids. The primary responsibility (after the offenders) is those who permitted his access to kids.

Trouble is, at the time, all that was actually known is Jimmy was a "peculiar" character. That's common in the media. What we now know about Saville we didn't no back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, George, you don't believe the Murdoch press and the Daily Mail are relishing throwing mud at the BBC? Not even a little bit? ;)