HIGNFY Series 48 - BBC1 Fridays 9pm

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
'More News' is on Mondays at 10:35pm
The popular news quiz returns, with team captains Paul Merton and Ian Hislop, guest host Jennifer Saunders and guest panellists Armando Iannucci and Peter Bone MP

Comments

• newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    It spoils the rhythm when they start making attacks on guests in the studio, as it all goes a bit quiet while they try and justify/explain.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that there is only 2 posts so far on this thread, shows you all you need to know about the quality of this show nowadays. I turned it off after 5 minute, as I was bored.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a brilliant start to the new series. The MP seemed to have been wheeled in as the butt of not very funny jokes and Jennifer Saunders was a disappointing chairman, mumbling and fluffing her lines.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To use an old cliché, it was rather disappointing.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was very flat this week.

Coming on straight after the far funnier WILTY doesn't do this show any favours.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, did I really hear an audience boo a joke mocking Jimmy Savile?

Looks like the Shepherds Bush Paedo club managed to get most tickets for this show.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

Looks like the Shepherds Bush Paedo club managed to get most tickets for this show.

Surely the audience reaction was disapproval at the hated name of Savile being invoked for a trivial joke, not disapproval at his being mocked? Or were you yourself making a joke?
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »

Oh boy:o

They were mocking the mention of Savile, not the joke.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, bit sad for a show that used to be one of my highlights of the week. It was very dull, another half hour of WILTY would have been so much better.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The panel was mocking Savile. This is par for the course in most news quizes.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was good until halfway through when it then tailed off a bit (but it never became a rubbish episode). Jennifer Saunders, like the last time she was on, was a good host.

The questioning of Peter Bone over the wages he allegedly refused to pay seemed to come out of nowhere. I don't think it was unfair that it was brought up but until that point, everyone seemed to be getting along and so it jarred when he was suddenly put under scrutiny.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it wasn't as good as Jennifer's last turn at presenting (and I'm a massive fan) but I do think she suits it well. I thought the Tory dragged it down and the audience weren't great.

I won't be watching next week with Sue Perkins presenting.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time this show was cancelled

WILTY regularly makes me laugh whereas this raises 1 or 2 laughs at most
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question is what does Mrs Bone make of it?
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please BBC put this programme out of its misery ! Talk about money for old rope ? Every show now seems to exist on some pitifully lame sense of humour and forced laughter, to give the impression that they are all trying their hardest to produce the tiniest of titters and audience reaction..

At £40,000 a programme to the increasingly smug Hislop and disinterested Merton,together with the majority of rubbish guests/so called comedians?? and presenters, viewers are hardly getting value for money !
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was good until halfway through when it then tailed off a bit (but it never became a rubbish episode). Jennifer Saunders, like the last time she was on, was a good host.
    I'm a fan of the show but found it flat all the way through. I'm not a fan of Jennifer Saunders and I think she was a big part of the problem. Having a guest solely for ritual humiliation didn't help. There were moments where he seemed to have both wit and a sense of humour, but he didn't contribute much over-all. The other guest was a legend who ought to have been gold, but the episode never came together.

I'm being critical now, because I'm confident we'll have better episodes later.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    'More News' is on Mondays at 10:35pm

Think they should have had a 'Less News' version for this episode. They could have fitted all of the funny (well, okay, 'vaguely humorous') bits into a five minute show, and saved us all 25 mins...

And I'm sure Labour supporters will be glad virtually everything about the Conservative Conference was on the defection and the not-really-sex scandal. Was the script written last Sunday?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The questioning of Peter Bone over the wages he allegedly refused to pay seemed to come out of nowhere. I don't think it was unfair that it was brought up but until that point, everyone seemed to be getting along and so it jarred when he was suddenly put under scrutiny.

I loved that bit .

the greedy toff deserved to get cornered on that , not that he gave a sh1t .

• Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    I loved that bit .

the greedy toff deserved to get cornered on that , not that he gave a sh1t .

And he's paying his wife £45000...sorry, WE'RE paying his wife £45000...
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    About time this show was cancelled

WILTY regularly makes me laugh whereas this raises 1 or 2 laughs at most

Would it not make more sense for you to stop watching?

Demanding cancellation because YOU don't like it is absurdly arrogant.
  • 1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not available on iPlayer on the BBC Web site?

WTF?

Does this mean that even the BBC agree that the episode was as crap as many posters on here think?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not available on iPlayer on the BBC Web site?

WTF?

Does this mean that even the BBC agree that the episode was as crap as many posters on here think?

They don't put up on I-Player until after the Monday episode generally. This places trashing of the show is always at odds with the actual viewing figures, it's an immensely popular show. Cancellation seems as likely as me getting Angelina Jolie to leave Brad Pitt for me.

Haven't watched it myself as I like to wait for the longer version, always seems more nuanced. Oh and Dagenham and the mighty Exeter City was on RadioDevon at the same time.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,539
    Forum Member
    Not a brilliant start to the new series. The MP seemed to have been wheeled in as the butt of not very funny jokes and Jennifer Saunders was a disappointing chairman, mumbling and fluffing her lines.

Glad I was not the only one who thought this.

I used to love this show but it seems to have lost it's sparkle.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been going downhill for a few years now. The format is outdated, and I wonder whether rotating presenters is now hindering the show. When they first started doing it that way it was interesting to see who might be on next week and what they'd bring to the show. Now it's more often than not someone who has hosted a bunch of times before. At the same time, and somewhat paradoxically, it doesn't allow for a presenter's relationship with the team captains to evolve and for the audience to warm to anyone.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been going downhill for a few years now. The format is outdated, and I wonder whether rotating presenters is now hindering the show. When they first started doing it that way it was interesting to see who might be on next week and what they'd bring to the show. Now it's more often than not someone who has hosted a bunch of times before. At the same time, and somewhat paradoxically, it doesn't allow for a presenter's relationship with the team captains to evolve and for the audience to warm to anyone.

The problem with picking a permanent host is if they're rubbish, you're stuck with them for at least a series (or probably two, if the host is given a 1 year contract). By the time you make a change (and there's no guarantee it will be the right fit the 2nd time either), many may have deserted the show. Despite that, I do agree that it would be good to see Paul and Ian have someone they, as you said, can build up a rapport with.

I think the BBC would pick Kirsty Young, if they were to go down the permanent host route. She's hosted multiple times and she ticks the female quota box. I would want someone else but I believe she'd be high up in the minda of those in charge.