"Avatar"- a huge hit that's vanished from Pop Culture?

Comments

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five years already, since the overrated & patronising spectacle that was Avatar.

Doesn't time fly?
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five years already, since the overrated & patronising spectacle that was Avatar.

Doesn't time fly?

Scary, how long ago it was now. Where does the time go? :D

I went to see it at the Odeon in the Metro Centre at the time. I was very curious about this revived attempt of 3D. I haven't watched it again and probably never will. I remember some of the characters and also the title song by none other than Leona Lewis playing over the closing credits :D I don't suppose many will remember that, somehow!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And there's two pop-culture references to "Avatar" I remember:

Ben Stiller dressing up as a Na'Vi at the Oscars:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/07/ben-stiller-goes-navi-at_n_489459.html

And Bullock mentioning the plot of "Avatar" in the American Dad! ep "Virtual
    In-Stanity".

That's about it.

South Park explained their view of 'Avatar' quite strenuously in 'Dances With Smurfs' - the title gives a slight hint as to their (correct) overall opinion of the film...
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    It's an awful movie, that's why.

Contrived, cliched, seen it all before.

People saw it because of the SFX, which personally I think looked rather ropey. They then forgot about it as soon as they reached the car park.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    South Park explained their view of 'Avatar' quite strenuously in 'Dances With Smurfs' - the title gives a slight hint as to their (correct) overall opinion of the film...

Thanks for that- I don't watch SP, so I missed that Avatar reference there. (My brother
    loves Cartman and company, though).
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A beautiful, well made movie but carrying the seeds of its own destruction in the form of a lame story done decades earlier by better writers: Ursula LeGuin (The Word for World is Forest), T.V. Olsen (Soldier Blue), Richard McKenna (Hunter, Come Home).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Avatar might be quiet now but I have no doubt the sequel will gross over $1.8 billion worldwide when released.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    jalal wrote: »
    Avatar might be quiet now but I have no doubt the sequel will gross over $1.8 billion worldwide when released.

A very specific number. Why that much ?

Unless the sequel does something groundbreaking, like the first one re-revolutionised 3D, I think it will struggle to make a billion.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member

It will make a shitload of money, but the people who go to see it aren't going to see a film. They are going to see something akin to a ride. Like something you'd see at Universal Studios. All that's missing is the room that moves and shakes when something big happens
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think "Avatar" has dropped out of people's memories? And if it
    has, what does this tell us about blockbuster films today?

Nothing. Avatar was a 3D gimmick. That's the only reason it was as successful was it was. Everyone went to try the new 3D technology. No one went to see an amazing film. That's why no one remembers it.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nah. The 3D boat sailed a long time ago. That's why there hasn't been a sequel. It never took off in the way they thought it would. Everyone has been there.. done that. It's unique appeal is gone.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Nah. The 3D boat sailed a long time ago. That's why there hasn't been a sequel. It never took off in the way they thought it would. Everyone has been there.. done that. It's unique appeal is gone.

You do know three sequels are in the works, due for release in 2017, 2018 and 2019 ?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing. Avatar was a 3D gimmick. That's the only reason it was as successful was it was. Everyone went to try the new 3D technology. No one went to see an amazing film. That's why no one remembers it.
    I think the fact James Cameron, who hadn't made a feature film in 12 years, was attached to the script could have helped

Not to the extent of $2.7 billion of course, but his name alone surely guaranteed a profit, or at the least broke even
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I liked it. I also don't understand what you mean by 'vanished', I mean, you're still talking about it. Are there other films from that time, that are a massive part of culture, or do you think most people just see it as a film- you watch it, you enjoy it, and you move on- maybe watch it again when it's out on DVD? That's what I did with Avatar, just like any other film I've enjoyed from that time, and judging by its popularity, it seems most other people did too.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    I liked it. I also don't understand what you mean by 'vanished', I mean, you're still talking about it. Are there other films from that time, that are a massive part of culture, or do you think most people just see it as a film- you watch it, you enjoy it, and you move on- maybe watch it again when it's out on DVD? That's what I did with Avatar, just like any other film I've enjoyed from that time, and judging by its popularity, it seems most other people did too.

True- but when a film's that successful, it usually sticks in people's
    minds long after.

We pointed out several reasons on this thread why
    "Avatar" seems to have vanished from modern pop culture despite its success ( it's not
    quoted by people; there's little demand for "Avatar" memorabilia; there was no
    previous novel/comic/TV show as source; no immediate sequels and few imitators).
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    True- but when a film's that successful, it usually sticks in people's
    minds long after.

We pointed out several reasons on this thread why
    "Avatar" seems to have vanished from modern pop culture despite its success ( it's not
    quoted by people; there's little demand for "Avatar" memorabilia; there was no
    previous novel/comic/TV show as source; no immediate sequels and few imitators
    ).
    So are these the factors that affords something continual pop-culture relevance then? More than likely I suppose, but it beggars the question relevant to whom? We hear the term wide audience bandied around a lot, but is it actually wide in scope rather than mere scale? I imagine as long as they make enough media noise it's maybe not that important who's doing it. Where does the Fast franchise stand in all this, btw? Dunno, but Furious 7 has been tracking off the scale for ages apparently.

Avatar followed Titanic of course, which many predictably predicted would sink. However, it soon became apparent that it had hit the jackpot thanks to that all-too-rare four quadrant appeal (young/old/male/female). It's not the thing from which cults are born, but it rang the tills in spectacular fashion and in its own 'must see' way made its mark. To a degree, perhaps Avatar behaved in a similar fashion - success that can bypass the clannish, fannish media tropes that create such clamour and instead have genuine mass appeal in the more traditional sense (or once-traditional sense). An anomaly for sure, but also rather healthy.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sequels are taking so long to happen
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are these the factors that affords something continual pop-culture relevance then? More than likely I suppose, but it beggars the question relevant to whom? We hear the term wide audience bandied around a lot, but is it actually wide in scope rather than mere scale? I imagine as long as they make enough media noise it's maybe not that important who's doing it. Where does the Fast franchise stand in all this, btw? Dunno, but Furious 7 has been tracking off the scale for ages apparently.

Avatar followed Titanic of course, which many predictably predicted would sink. However, it soon became apparent that it had hit the jackpot thanks to that all-too-rare four quadrant appeal (young/old/male/female). It's not the thing from which cults are born, but it rang the tills in spectacular fashion and in its own 'must see' way made its mark. To a degree, perhaps Avatar behaved in a similar fashion - success that can bypass the clannish, fannish media tropes that create such clamour and instead have genuine mass appeal in the more traditional sense (or once-traditional sense). An anomaly for sure, but also rather healthy.

Titanic though has stuck in the public consciousness far more than Avatar. "I'm King of the World", the bow scene, the love scene with the hand sliding down the window, the nude drawing scene, the dancing scene, My heart will go on are still quoted and referenced today, whereas most people only remember that Avatar was about blue skinned aliens.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some films have much greater pop-cultural impact even when the total audience is far far smaller - take Reservoir Dogs for example. EVERYONE knows that music and that group walk towards the camera as the TV has been using it as a shorthand for the last 15-20 years.

Avatar has no iconic moments that transcend the film itself.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with Avatar is that it was intended as a serious film, but it ended up being perceived in the same light as an animated kid's film, with pretty animated big blue aliens.

So as a piece of deep cinematic storytelling, it failed.

And when the action figures didn't appear in McDonalds kids meals, it failed.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Titanic though has stuck in the public consciousness far more than Avatar. "I'm King of the World", the bow scene, the love scene with the hand sliding down the window, the nude drawing scene, the dancing scene, My heart will go on are still quoted and referenced today, whereas most people only remember that Avatar was about blue skinned aliens.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Some films have much greater pop-cultural impact even when the total audience is far far smaller - take Reservoir Dogs for example. EVERYONE knows that music and that group walk towards the camera as the TV has been using it as a shorthand for the last 15-20 years.

Avatar has no iconic moments that transcend the film itself.
    As I said in an earlier post, Titanic (along with LotR) were perhaps the last major examples of films entering the across-the-board collective awareness. That Avatar perhaps hasn't is, as I said, a symptom of pop-culture and its relation with the public in general. The era of films making such an impact - either initial or gradual - that it echoes through the ages is maybe over.

Yes, Avatar has no 'iconic moment' for the Simpsons to regurgitate, but then those are getting just as rare as well.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    If the CG characters had been less cartoon-like and colourful, and instead had been more gritty in appearance, e.g. think "Gollum", then I think Avatar could have been much better. It was simply too colourful and cartoonish aesthetically.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in an earlier post, Titanic (along with LotR) were perhaps the last major examples of films entering the across-the-board collective awareness. That Avatar perhaps hasn't is, as I said, a symptom of pop-culture and its relation with the public in general. The era of films making such an impact - either initial or gradual - that it echoes through the ages is maybe over.

Yes, Avatar has no 'iconic moment' for the Simpsons to regurgitate, but then those are getting just as rare as well.

It's easy to see why. Back in the pre-digital era there was very little choice and everyone was exposed to the same things. All the cinemas across the country would show the same films at the same(ish) time and there would be a prestige film on telly every so often. Even in the days of video rental shops there was never a huge selection. It was the same with the 3 or 4 channels for TV and just Radio 1 and Top of the Pops for music.

Everyone knew the same things because there was precious little else. You could go into school or work in th 80s and talk about a scene from last night's episode of Only Fools and Horses, do an impression of Robert De Niro in Taxi driver and take the piss out of Michael Jackson grabbing his crotch in his new video and everyone would know what you were talking about.

These days it's completely different, we all have total control over what we see and here and when we do it. Whereas in the past your choice of viewing for the evening would be the 400th showing of A Bridge Too Far on ITV or a VHS of Jagged Edge (because that was the only film that never had that red 'Out on Loan' tag on it), now you could think of almost any film available in the world and be watching it within ten minutes. If we're all watching different things at different times then there is going to be no mass collective consciousness.

Pop-culture is dead and it isn't coming back.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never seen Avator all the way through, but I got the impression it was more of a technical demonstration film of the latest effects technology with a rather limp story attached than a 'real' film.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's easy to see why. Back in the pre-digital era there was very little choice and everyone was exposed to the same things. All the cinemas across the country would show the same films at the same(ish) time and there would be a prestige film on telly every so often. Even in the days of video rental shops there was never a huge selection. It was the same with the 3 or 4 channels for TV and just Radio 1 and Top of the Pops for music.

Everyone knew the same things because there was precious little else. You could go into school or work in th 80s and talk about a scene from last night's episode of Only Fools and Horses, do an impression of Robert De Niro in Taxi driver and take the piss out of Michael Jackson grabbing his crotch in his new video and everyone would know what you were talking about.

These days it's completely different, we all have total control over what we see and here and when we do it. Whereas in the past your choice of viewing for the evening would be the 400th showing of A Bridge Too Far on ITV or a VHS of Jagged Edge (because that was the only film that never had that red 'Out on Loan' tag on it), now you could think of almost any film available in the world and be watching it within ten minutes. If we're all watching different things at different times then there is going to be no mass collective consciousness.

Pop-culture is dead and it isn't coming back.

There are two answers to that. Firstly, pop culture hasn't got a fixed popularity threshold or form. And secondly, 'Frozen' and that awful song.