Options

Rajar Q1 2008

Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
Forum Member
✭✭
A few things from this sweep:

BBC 56.8%, all commercial 41.1%: a long time since we've seen the BBC this far ahead

BBC progress led by R1 (share 10.6%) and R2 (share 16.5%)

Classic FM share down to 3.7% (4.2% last time)

In London, Heart and Magic on 5.8% share, Capital on 4.6%, LBC with a strong performance on 4.5%

Clyde 1 and Forth 1 recover some ground against Real

Some poor results for the "One Network" - Gemini Torbay below 10% share, Fox also below 10% share (can't remember if I've ever seen that)

"Sunshine Radio" (which one?) reporting for the first time has 16,000 listeners (out of a TSA of 672,000 - 2% reach) but good average hours and hence a 1.5% share

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Star Radio Bristol down from 6 to 4%... well done guys, just a few more percent and you can switch the lights off for good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did BRMB do?
  • Options
    gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flackers wrote: »
    Star Radio Bristol down from 6 to 4%... well done guys, just a few more percent and you can switch the lights off for good.

Still beating Original though. I never hear Star playing in shops, cabs etc but I do hear Original yet the results are lower - don't get it? That said, I've just been to the corner shop in the centre of Bristol and they had Orchard FM on - so much for Bristol radio then!
  • Options
    Final OneFinal One Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    With both the Original station's flat at 2% reach it certainly suggests that the format is fundamentally floored. And since tyhe music became more rocky and obscure in Southampton people are not listening for nearly as long. Will they make changes now?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commercial local radio getting its comeuppance for voicetracking and networking.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final One wrote: »
    With both the Original station's flat at 2% reach it certainly suggests that the format is fundamentally floored. And since tyhe music became more rocky and obscure in Southampton people are not listening for nearly as long. Will they make changes now?

They have changed things several times in Solent now. I fail to see what further changes they can make that would be allowed under the format. They have to either dig in for the long term and hope things change or sell up.

Certainly, with Original Solent having stuck at 2% for so long it does suggest that is as good as it can get under the present format.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since South London Radio's TSA has been extended to include Croydon and Bromley in the last quarter, the listenership is now 24.000 up 1,000. However the share is still 2% which is the same when the TSA only covered Lewisham and the surrounding area.

Time 106.8's share is now 3% at 18,000, up from 11,000 in Q4 2007.

This possibly means the Sukhi Lit regime at Basildon Road is working for both stations?

Time 106.6 continues it's downward spiral by losing 2,000 listeners!
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how Radio 2 are doing it with over 13 million tuning in and Wogan with over 8 million?

The Rajars are easily explained.

http://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/quarterly_listening.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I don't know how Radio 2 are doing it with over 13 million tuning in and Wogan with over 8 million?

It's quite easy really, it's about having licence fee money to spend on the top DJs. Wogan gets £800,000 per annum because he is the best in the business.

Why listen to Dave Doubledecks on Radio Local when you can listen to the best DJs without loads of annoying adverts? I often wonder what kind of person chooses to listen to 10 minutes per hour of commercials on their way to work given the alternative. Masochists perhaps?
  • Options
    overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see Big L on the list. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    overline wrote: »
    I can't see Big L on the list. :confused:

Heavens! Overline's not able to offer his expert analysis. What on earth will you fill your evening with instead ;)

Jezza
  • Options
    the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Sunshine Radio" (which one?) reporting for the first time has 16,000 listeners (out of a TSA of 672,000 - 2% reach) but good average hours and hence a 1.5% share

All of them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    [ I often wonder what kind of person chooses to listen to 10 minutes per hour of commercials on their way to work given the alternative. Masochists perhaps?[/QUOTE]

What kind of person ? just under half of the UK population.
    Yes parts of Radio 2 are great but large parts are pants and I often wonder how great Radio two would be if it didnt force a tax on those of us that listen elsewhere.
  • Options
    Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another dire Rajar for Town102, how much longer will it be before someone at the station actually realises the programming is dire and not what is wanted in the area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Commercial local radio getting its comeuppance for voicetracking and networking.

And that's not going to get any better in the light of recent events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Westward wrote: »
    It's quite easy really, it's about having licence fee money to spend on the top DJs. Wogan gets £800,000 per annum because he is the best in the business.

Why listen to Dave Doubledecks on Radio Local when you can listen to the best DJs without loads of annoying adverts? I often wonder what kind of person chooses to listen to 10 minutes per hour of commercials on their way to work given the alternative. Masochists perhaps?

Someone who can't stand Moyles or Wogan like me? But then I go to work later so listen to Ken Bruce anyway:)
  • Options
    the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioKing wrote: »
    How did BRMB do?

So it's improved but this does not take into account, the recent changes.
  • Options
    Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of them?

Quite possibly.

Hereford & Worcester's TSA is 490,000. The 855 area is pretty rural, and then there's only Monmouthshire to add. Monmouth is 6,000 and Abergavenny a little bigger, but it's not many.

It's a pretty poor figure, but they don't promote themselves at all in this area: my local friends have never heard of the station. The AM service has great music which has just got better, so it's rather a shame. 855 was always considered popular in its area, and I would have thought that 855 alone would have had more than 15,000 listeners.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westward wrote: »

Looks like no one will be able to replace Wogan at present, or they haven't got anyone else?
  • Options
    grasshopergrasshoper Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »

Being able to advertise on BBC TV free of charge possibly helps,if comercial radio got free TV advertising the playing field would be even.
  • Options
    grasshopergrasshoper Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Posibly best not mention Gold (R.I.P. )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gwrbristol wrote: »
    Still beating Original though. I never hear Star playing in shops, cabs etc but I do hear Original yet the results are lower - don't get it? That said, I've just been to the corner shop in the centre of Bristol and they had Orchard FM on - so much for Bristol radio then!

To be fair the cabs I get into that don't have kiss on pumping out dance music in the early hours are listening to the love songs on star.....
  • Options
    Orry VerducciOrry Verducci Posts: 2,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm reading this right, it seems Q103 has lost over a quarter of it's market share, with hours and reach also down. Not looking too good for the One Network.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Year on year Red Dragon has lost 1/7th of its audience, 1/3rd of its hours and 1/3rd of its market share. Big thumbs up for the One Network from the listeners in South East Wales. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Peace100 wrote: »
    Another dire Rajar for Town102, how much longer will it be before someone at the station actually realises the programming is dire and not what is wanted in the area.

With Town on a bit of a slide you would think SGR would be looking a little healthy but from what I can see they have had a very bad book, Reach at 118 was around 135, hrs down and 8.4% share. so seems people are heading for the Beeb, both ILR stations down but BBC Suffolk up (around 140 reach) and Radio 2 still market leader!!!

RIP ILR............