Options

More Paddy Power Ads Banned

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
Forum Member
Last week the bookie Paddy Power had their "Transgender ladies" advert pulled by the ASA. Now they have had another one called "Chav Tranquilizer" taken off air. Are they just trying to get them banned or do they genuinely think that they are going to be accepted.

If you haven't seen them, here they are:

Transgender Ladies: http://youtu.be/1XZ5MOB3nww

Chav Tranquilizer: http://youtu.be/Yu5Q86V8lT4

If you haven't got a Youtube acocunt you can view both of them at this site

Comments

• Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week the bookie Paddy Power had their "Transgender ladies" advert pulled by the ASA. Now they have had another one called "Chav Tranquilizer" taken off air. Are they just trying to get them banned or do they genuinely think that they are going to be accepted.

More than likely the former. Without their 'controversial' ads, PP would be much smaller player in the UK market for bookies.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    banned ads get discussion, and people think they are being rebellious by viewing them.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is just what Ryan AIr have been doing for a few years now. Most of the Ryan Air adverts I see are from reports of that ad being banned!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I dreamt it or the passage of time is just weird but I could have sworn I saw the transgender lady one much more recently than last week.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Maybe I dreamt it or the passage of time is just weird but I could have sworn I saw the transgender lady one much more recently than last week.

yes you did, as i remember it being shown

the reason to take it off is laughable
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member

me too. thought i heard it in the background a couple of days ago
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely saw it last night. I've liked most of the Paddy power ads over the years, always just a touch surreal, The Carlton Palmer in the bath one was particularly inspired!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deliberately putting up a funny but controversial ad isn't a bad marketing technique. Sadly in some markets it's very difficult to differentiate products. Who would have thought the way to sell insurance brokerage would be to use fluffy talking animals and comedy singers rather than discussion of the product.

Nice arse on the chav btw.
  • Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    Last week the bookie Paddy Power had their "Transgender ladies" advert pulled by the ASA.

Rightly so that they were forced to pull that one.

That one actually had the backing, or the idea of it did, by the Beaumont Society (or the Bullsh*t Society as they are known to some of us). PP changed it though, obviously for their entertainment value, after the filming (they used real 'trans actors' for it).
    But the idea itself in the first place caused outrage among the trans communities, to which I am part of, and PP and the ASA were soon inundated with complaints.
    Initially, Channel 4, surprised by this mind with their recent coverage of LGBTQ issues, refused to move on not airing the 'ad', as did Sky (ATR). Both are obviously heavily involved with the Cheltenham Festival. They soon backed down and the decision was made to pull the ad, as it was in bad taste over all.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    broonale wrote: »
    Rightly so that they were forced to pull that one.

That one actually had the backing, or the idea of it did, by the Beaumont Society (or the Bullsh*t Society as they are known to some of us). PP changed it though, obviously for their entertainment value, after the filming (they used real 'trans actors' for it).
    But the idea itself in the first place caused outrage among the trans communities, to which I am part of, and PP and the ASA were soon inundated with complaints.
    Initially, Channel 4, surprised by this mind with their recent coverage of LGBTQ issues, refused to move on not airing the 'ad', as did Sky (ATR). Both are obviously heavily involved with the Cheltenham Festival. They soon backed down and the decision was made to pull the ad, as it was in bad taste over all.

Ahh I see, thank you for the explanation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd much rather those ads than that insufferable "4/1, me to you, eyes to screen" crap they had not too long ago.

There's justifiable grounds as mentioned below for removing the trans-gender one. But what about the Chav one? Do they think people will go out and shoot chavs or something?
    Fairness wrote: »
    Nice arse on the chav btw.

Would have loved to have read what the job description for that role was!