Questions about going on the pill and periods?

silvernlilacsilvernlilac Posts: 54
Forum Member
The doctor has put me on the pill as I get bad pmt and depression cos of my periods. I dont think its really the answer but I am willing to give it a try. Anyway I have some questions which I forgot to ask the doctors, hoping people might be able to help answer them :-)

1. Ive heard/read going on the pill can mess up you periods for the first few months. How will it affect them and can it make them heavier/longer/more frequent in the first few months (this is what I am dreading the most). What will my periods be like in the first few months of being on the pill?
2. How long will it take for my periods to settle down and become lighter and shorter? What will my periods be like after a few months (i.e. how long will they last and how light will they be?)
3. The doctor said I can take 3 packs back to back so I dont get a period for about 2-3 months. Can I start taking 3 packs back to back straight away or do I have to wait a while?
4. If I do take 3 packs back to back, does it mean when I do get a period, it will be heavier and longer than normal as I have delayed it for so long?
5. Will going on the pill make me put on weight? (Ive heard loads about this but still dont know what to believe)

Thanks so much :)

Comments

• frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    The kind of questions you ask have different outcomes for each individual. I've been on different kinds of pill for 24 odd years now and how my body reacts is different to how others will find it. I've known people who just couldn't get on with the pill and others who've found it absolutely fine!

You may find your body needs some settling down time as it gets used to you taking a hormonal contraceptive, so your periods may vary. Mine still do now!

So in short, no-one can really tell how you will be affected. It may be worth stating what pill you are going to take so others can give you their experiences, but even then, how they react may not be the same as you.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started out on Microgynon, it made me feel ill. I went back and got put on Cilest - it was great and worked for me - I knew when I was getting my period every four weeks and I did take packs back to back, but by the 6 or 7th week, I had a bleed.

I'm now on cerazette which is the mini pill - you take it all the time and supposedly you don't have a period - I go 6-8 weeks without a period. I prefer this for personal reasons. My friend tried this pill and didn't like it and went back to cilest.

One of my friends had the implant fitted - said it was the best thing ever. So another had the implant fitted too. She gained weight, it made her skin really greasy and she got depressed.

It's a very much trial and error system, as the above poster said it depends on the person.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be worth booking an appointment to see one of the nurses trained in contraception as normally you can get to see them quicker than the doc if its like our practice, the problem is that everyone is different so whats the best thing every for one woman will have reduced another to near suicidal thoughts and if you're in a panic you could always try your local pharmacist as they have nearly as much training as doc's on drug interactions and probably see as many women with these sort of questions if not more
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on Microgynon for 3 years. This is just from my experience, I know it can vary hugely between different women:

Because it's no longer a 'real' period but a withdrawal bleed, it will likely be lighter and less painful than normal. I found that was the case right from the first cycle. You might experience light spotting for the first month or so, just until your body gets used to it.

You can run 3 pill packets together, but personally I wouldn't recommend it. I ran 2 together and felt bloated and experienced spotting for the second month - and your bleed will probably be heavier than normal when you start your pill-free break afterwards.

Some women will put on a bit of weight. I just found that my boobs got bigger :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These would've been good questions to ask your doctor at the time you agreed to try the pill.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took Microgynon for ten years and never had a problem with it. Everything was just like normal except I knew my period was coming. You can take the pills back to back from the word go, and the resulting period shouldn't be much heavier than usual.

Because my blood pressure is slightly higher than ideal, I now take Cerazette. I take it everyday and have no bleeding whatsoever, however it is more time sensitive than Microgynon. No side effects to report, but if i forget a few days my hormones go up the left and I get a bit moody and glum.

The pill never made me put on weight. Takeaways and alcohol did though!