What to do with FLAC?

Very basic question, but please keep the answers simple.

I have a MAC which may be pertinent to the query.

I have never downloaded any audio before (apart from one song from iTunes in the early days) I prefer to buy the physical media.

However in this instance I have been sent an audio file, via Dropbox, that has been created especially for me so naturally isn't available anywhere else with some sound effects that he has recorded.

They have come to me as FLAC files. I could ideally do with getting them onto iTunes so I can then create a CD. How do I do this?

He has suggested using Nero to burn it to CD. However I'm not sure this is MAC compatible, and costs £69, so would in effect be cheaper for me to travel down and record them myself.

Any ideas, help, assistance ot advice gratefully received.

Comments

• DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can convert the FLAC file to MP3 using this guide: http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/16/flac-to-mp3-for-mac/. You could then import the MP3 into iTunes.

However you may/will probably lose audio quality.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use XLD to convert between formats but, as Daedroth says, you'll lose quality if you then burn a CD from an MP3.

XLD supports burning CDs within itself or, if you're dead-set on using iTunes, you could convert the FLAC file into ALAC (Apple's lossless format), import that into iTunes and then burn the CD from there.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Thanks to you both.

The iTunes step isn't necessary, it's something I have used before. If it goes staright to CD I'd be happy with that. I can then use other software to edit the FX to the length I need.

EDIT

It appears (and I've not really used FLAC before) that it was sent to me as it is high quality and he knew I had the Fission audio editor which can read FLAC (who knew?)

Thanks again for the suggestion - I will try Fission first as I know it can export to Garageband where I can add other items to the mix and edit for time.

But I will look up your suggestions as a standby. Thanks again for the time and trouble.