The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clover wrote: »
    Well that was a shock! Not the bit about Saucer being Selfie's daughter, which I'd guessed anyway, but Michael Spence leaving - :o I may never recover! The only possible compensation will be Mr T next week.

I'm really warming to Zosia. Her speech to Elliot about her mother was so sad! Her wistful look at Selfie going off with Colette at the end really puts her into context - she's like a precocious child, acting up so daddy will notice her, even though she's angry with him and doesn't really know if she loves him or hates him.

Anyways, this week's episode review is here

and if you missed it last week there's also my Jac and Joseph "standalone episode" of a Christmas story here (for which I've had lovely feedback from Niamh McGrady and Rosie Marcel) :)

Great review, Clover. I'm in shock about Michael, too, although I was fearing something of the sorts. I hope he comes back!!

Could you share Rosie Marcel's thoughts on your lovely Jac/Joseph story???
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I don't remember Oliver doing anything that really impressed me until after Penny's death. In their first episode, I thought Oliver came across as the more competent one, but only because seemed very kind and compassionate compared to Penny, who initially came across as a little more cold - it was nothing to do with his actual talent. As the weeks went on, I very much preferred Penny, who I thought was a really nice girl and an excellent doctor, and I didn't see anything special about Oliver at all. When it was revealed that he had cheated on exams, I was really impressed - I wondered whether that had been planned from the start, and I thought that if it had, it was great that they had kept that going for so long.

Does anyone know if that was planned from the start? I know that some things are planned a good way in advance, like Tara's death.
    Forum Member
    Oh, one thing I noticed (this was from an episode a few weeks ago, but I forgot to say it at the time)...

That woman a couple of weeks ago who had a son who was leaving the army... when she said to him, 'Go back and work out your notice,' did anyone else really hope that Mary-Claire would say, 'Oh, you should have come to work here - we can just leave at the end of our shifts!'
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    So was Guy having an affair with that new nurse manager while his wife was dying? Thats a reason why Zozia hates him so much?
  • frenchie21frenchie21 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Clover posted her review yet? I wonder what she thinks of Mr Spence leaving Holby? Hope all you guys on this thread have a great Christmas and that includes you Clover :D
  • cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you share Rosie Marcel's thoughts on your lovely Jac/Joseph story???

I had a message from Niamh McGrady via Twitter to let me know she'd sent Rosie the story and Rosie asked her to let me know she loved it. I thought it was really kind of both of them to do that.
  • frenchie21frenchie21 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a message from Niamh McGrady via Twitter to let me know she'd sent Rosie the story and Rosie asked her to let me know she loved it. I thought it was really kind of both of them to do that.

Hey Clover :) You ok? I read your Jac Naylor story & thought it was really really brilliant & quite emotional in parts. Very well done. You done a review for last nights show yet?
  • wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Hiya Frenchie - link to clover's review in post below: enjoy - it is, as ever, a good one.........
    Well that was a shock! Not the bit about Saucer being Selfie's daughter, which I'd guessed anyway, but Michael Spence leaving - :o I may never recover! The only possible compensation will be Mr T next week.

I'm really warming to Zosia. Her speech to Elliot about her mother was so sad! Her wistful look at Selfie going off with Colette at the end really puts her into context - she's like a precocious child, acting up so daddy will notice her, even though she's angry with him and doesn't really know if she loves him or hates him.

Anyways, this week's episode review is here

and if you missed it last week there's also my Jac and Joseph "standalone episode" of a Christmas story here (for which I've had lovely feedback from Niamh McGrady and Rosie Marcel) :)
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, that's lovely, and so nice of them both, as you say. I must say I get a bit of a kick from Rosie in particular loving it - it's like a little Jac/Joseph reunion off screen!!

Happy Christmas everyone!!
  • NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    In Dr Joker's case, I didn't like her from the start. She was a bit manic to begin with but that got so much worse when her awful kid turned up on the ward. Her OTT flapping about trying to hide him in side rooms and the like was utterly ridiculous. Add to that Holby's horrible attempt to push her and Harry (another dull character) together. I didn't even think the actress was particularly good either. She seemed to mostly exaggerate her lines and facial expressions and that was bloody annoying. All in all, she seemed a pointless character who Holby had zero plan for after the non-romance with Harry fell flat.

This exactly, eloquently put if I may say so. I wonder if it is lack of imagination in the writing of her character, or perhaps miscasting, so that the writers were not inspired to develop the character around the strengths of the actor.
    Forum Member
    Oliver Kent has said about Hari Dhillon's departure, 'Whilst we’re sad to see Hari go, it is only right that we support his wish to explore other projects. We wish him the best of luck and we look forward to his return.' The bit in bold very much suggests that they are expecting him to return in at least some capacity. Maybe he won't come back as a permanent character, but I'm very much expecting him to be in at least a few episodes in the future, even if it's just the sort of return that Nick Jordan did on Casualty recently (he took a break, then returned for just four episodes before leaving for good.)
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,171
    Forum Member
    I know i've read the press release - indeed I posted it. I said it is very ambiguous because Dhillon's comments seem very much more past tense than Kent's. The fact is that if he was going to beback at the end of the 3 months for the enquiry and the end of the suspension it would already have been filmed so it wouldn't be looking forward to him coming back as he already would have been.

My reading is that Kent wants him back sooner rather than later and will do everything he can to achieve it but Dhillon has not signed anything so it is very much up in the air. Letitia Dean went on an extended break from EE in 2005 - she came back in 2012!

Time weill tell but I really don't think he is going to be back for seberal months at least and I suspect it will closer to years, if ever. With Jordan, they told us he would be back before he took the sabbatical to look after Yvonne.

As I say the wording is ambiguous - Kent makes it sound short term, Dhillon doesn't. Only time will tell but my gut instinct is that he has gone for a considerable length of time.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, just wanted to apologize for the tone of my last post as it cam over rather abrupt and patronizing. Really not my intention and I'd have edited it but left it too long before re-reading.
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Sorry, just wanted to apologize for the tone of my last post as it cam over rather abrupt and patronizing. Really not my intention and I'd have edited it but left it too long before re-reading.

No worries about that; I don't find it like that at all!
  • sohvimussohvimus Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Gemma you mean? I don't know if perhaps she'd be on a different type of contract as she is an F2 and therefore still studying which she seems to be giving up.

Strictly speaking all doctors, including consultants are constantly studying, it's not a speciality just for the junior doctors. Plus, F2s are fully GMC registered doctors, so whilst in some ways they are still learning the ropes of being a doctor, they are, nevertheless, fully-fledged doctors, expected to complete their 12 months as F2s.

Other than that, I do find it very unrealistic that she could walk out just like that at the end of the day.
    Forum Member
    Sorry to say, because I like Michael and will miss him if he is gone for good(ish) but I thought the same as kitkat about that press release - that O.K would love to have Hari back at some point (and is keeping the door wide open for him) but that Hari isn't planning to come back any time soon (if at all).

We know that since Sept Hari has been (and presumably still is) making a film in India which I'd imagine (depending on how big his part is) would take quite a bit of time and, that, after his recent success with 'Disgrace' he might like to do some more theatre work when he returns. Or he could return to the States I suppose - fairly sure he only came over here initially because the writer's strike had put the kybosh on the projects he was working on over there.

My expectation is that when this investigation (which no doubt we'll hear no more about till the report comes out, if at all) is completed there'll be some comment about Michael staying in the US to be with his kids and asking for a reference from someone to get a job, with perhaps a phone call to/from Ric (which we'll only hear Ric's side of) where he explains about his fabulous new life (because its bound to be - this is Michael!) with a comment from Ric at the end about there always being a place for him to run to at Holby if he needs it. Either that, or he'll never be mentioned again (like almost everybody else who's ever left Holby!!!)
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clover enjoyed your review as always, not going to post in the thread again for a while as I feel my personal dislike of a certain actor and actress is upsetting the harmony of this thread and the last thing anyone needs is me banging on constantly and getting everyone's hackles up.

I am hoping that there will be less focus on a certain two, more Ric, Elliot and Jac and even though I was spitting hatred about Dr Honey I have grown fond of her as I have with the arrogant Dr Posh and honestly sad to see her depart.

Maybe a certain Scottish actor will quit and the saucer of milk goes sour but one thing is certain I hope that Kent can surprise me and make the show must see again for me at least.
    Forum Member
    Some more info on the NYE episode (once again courtesy of the RT website) and must agree with most of the reviewers points (especially the last sentence!!) but do feel a bit more kindly than (s)he does towards Zosia now

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/crbmd2/holby-city--series-16---12-ring-in-the-new

And a festive picture of the current (and newbie) cast from the verse that is Twitter (and who knows where before that)

https://twitter.com/HolbyCityFans/status/413802993029775360/photo/1
    and unless my eyes deceive me or they've got a funny filter on their camera Jonny appears to be wearing a rather fetching shade of green scrubs!?!

And just to say Rowan I'll miss your posts if you stop posting them - there is such a thing as too much harmony you know!;-)!
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosaer wrote: »
    This exactly, eloquently put if I may say so. I wonder if it is lack of imagination in the writing of her character, or perhaps miscasting, so that the writers were not inspired to develop the character around the strengths of the actor.

I think it's a combination of both. The actress wasn't any good (imo), but I think the character had potential. However it seemed as if Holby put almost 100% of their attention on the dynamic with Harry at the expense of any other direction for her. Since that romance went nowhere, she was left with absolutely nothing to do. There was zero progression for her so I guess it was easier to get rid since her overall impact was very weak.
    Forum Member
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Sorry to say, because I like Michael and will miss him if he is gone for good(ish) but I thought the same as kitkat about that press release - that O.K would love to have Hari back at some point (and is keeping the door wide open for him) but that Hari isn't planning to come back any time soon (if at all).

We know that since Sept Hari has been (and presumably still is) making a film in India which I'd imagine (depending on how big his part is) would take quite a bit of time and, that, after his recent success with 'Disgrace' he might like to do some more theatre work when he returns. Or he could return to the States I suppose - fairly sure he only came over here initially because the writer's strike had put the kybosh on the projects he was working on over there.

My expectation is that when this investigation (which no doubt we'll hear no more about till the report comes out, if at all) is completed there'll be some comment about Michael staying in the US to be with his kids and asking for a reference from someone to get a job, with perhaps a phone call to/from Ric (which we'll only hear Ric's side of) where he explains about his fabulous new life (because its bound to be - this is Michael!) with a comment from Ric at the end about there always being a place for him to run to at Holby if he needs it. Either that, or he'll never be mentioned again (like almost everybody else who's ever left Holby!!!)

Has it occurred to you that he might make a very short-term return before leaving for good? I really expect him to return at some point, but I think there is a good chance that it may only be three or four episodes. That way, he'd return as they have said he will, but it wouldn't take up much of Hari's time.
    Clover enjoyed your review as always, not going to post in the thread again for a while as I feel my personal dislike of a certain actor and actress is upsetting the harmony of this thread and the last thing anyone needs is me banging on constantly and getting everyone's hackles up.

I think that's a shame. For me personally, I don't get offended by anyone's opinions. The whole point of having a forum to discuss a show is to consider those opinions. If we all agreed, there would be no point discussing it. I sincerely apologise if I have ever put pressure on you not to express yourself, and I would hope that if anyone has, it has been entirely accidental.
    Forum Member
    The timing of Spence's leaving fits in exactly with Dhillon having left in September and moved straight onto filming his movie in India. The logical time for him to return for a brief stint would be at the end of the 3 months suspension and they would have been filming that in the last month or so which would clash. I really think that he has gone - the article did say we had seen his exit storyline on Tuesday. If anything, I think he might return at a much later stage for a long stint.

Of course it is possible he'll come back ala Nick Jordan but personally I doubt it as I think they would have said so in the press release if they had an actual date - which they would if it were just a short run to conclude the tribunal. They said that French would only be gone for a couple of months when Nick went. They also did with Ric and Connie when they took breaks to film other shows.

I think this is more like an Abra situation - his contract has ended and he may or may not be baack in the future on a new contract.

Rowan I'll miss you and provided the posts are not personally offensive (and therefore perhaps libellous) to the actors involved (and I haven't seen that yours are) then there really isn't a problem with expressing opinions. That is what a debating forum is for I think and it would be very boring if we all agreed and it was sweetness and light all the time.
    Forum Member
    The timing of Spence's leaving fits in exactly with Dhillon having left in September and moved straight onto filming his movie in India. The logical time for him to return for a brief stint would be at the end of the 3 months suspension and they would have been filming that in the last month or so which would clash. I really think that he has gone - the article did say we had seen his exit storyline on Tuesday. If anything, I think he might return at a much later stage for a long stint.

BIB: That's the other thing that I think might happen. I think that it is very likely that Michael will return at some point - when, and in what capacity, I have a few varying ideas, but I'll be surprised if that is the last that we ever see of him.
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I think it is unlikely he'll return, at least in the foressable future (next 18 months or so) but is he does come back it will be for a long sting - not just a couple of episodes. The tone of that release really did make it sound as though the role was history as far as Dhillon is concerned but he is sensible and well mannered enough to express ppreciation for the support he has received and that the door has been left open.

Guess we'll find out over the next few years.
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I think it is unlikely he'll return, at least in the foressable future (next 18 months or so) but is he does come back it will be for a long sting - not just a couple of episodes. The tone of that release really did make it sound as though the role was history as far as Dhillon is concerned but he is sensible and well mannered enough to express ppreciation for the support he has received and that the door has been left open.

Guess we'll find out over the next few years.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this but, asz you say, suppose we'll just have to wait and see (and I for one would be more than happy to see Michael back if/when ever Hari chooses to return).

So was Guy having an affair with that new nurse manager while his wife was dying? Thats a reason why Zozia hates him so much?

And Gwaed (great name btw) that wasn't my reading of it - I thought that Colette and Guy were more platonic friends (but could be totally wrong about this)
    I'm fairly sure there was mention somewhere that he had been sleeping round after his wife died, but I'm not sure if during her illness too (and has it been mentioned how she actually died yet?, because if not it's strange that, seemingly like you, I've assumed it was some kind of long(ish) illness rather than a sudden medical event (heart attack/stroke) or an accident)But my impression was that it was with lots of different women (and that he was also drinking) rather than just one - but again could be misremembering anbd so wrong
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if Jonny's change of scrubs colour indicates a change of rank. Didn't Judith, Mark's girlfriend from a few years ago have a green uniform and she was a matron. Perhaps he has left the Royal Blue of the Sister/Charge Nurse uniform behind because he has been promoted?
This discussion has been closed.