EE - Who is Shirley talking about?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also didn't clock it was Ben on first viewing. I'm just glad the story didn't end, "I was that boy".
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member
    Also didn't clock it was Ben on first viewing. I'm just glad the story didn't end, "I was that boy".

It'd have been funny if it had!
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    But that led to Heather's death as he was trying to get money to run away so he wouldn't have to deal with Phil after he was released from Prison.

It did but from how I interpreted the exchange, Ben's action was deliberate. The murder was accidental which led me to believe she meant the stalking.

Of course I could be completely wrong
  • EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it was an odd comparison, but I loved that scene with Shirley and Johnny :)

And i really enjoyed that scene with Mick and Johnny, I wish I had a dad like Mick when I came out, and that nancy joke at the end was brilliant :D it was a nice touch of humour
  • SoggyFroggySoggyFroggy Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL!! :D:D That would be an epic way to end her story! :D
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    IanMandy wrote: »
    It did but from how I interpreted the exchange, Ben's action was deliberate. The murder was accidental which led me to believe she meant the stalking.

I think she was talking about his behaviour overall and the consequences of the way he was made to feel because of his sexuality, rather than any one specific action - i.e; she wasn't saying 'his dad didn't like that he was gay so he went out and clobbered my mate to death to prove he was hard' - but more 'he felt so inadequate because of his sexuality that his need to prove himself led to more and more destructive behaviour which ultimately led to something terrible', the overall point being that denial and self-loathing over something will only lead to trouble.
    Forum Member
    IanMandy wrote: »

I think she meant both to be honest - the stalking was deliberate and to prove to phil he was a true, strong, 'manly' Mitchell bit it did directly lead to Heather's death and his actions afterwards were pretty bad.
    Forum Member
    felixrex wrote: »
    I think she was talking about his behaviour overall and the consequences of the way he was made to feel because of his sexuality, rather than any one specific action - i.e; she wasn't saying 'his dad didn't like that he was gay so he went out and clobbered my mate to death to prove he was hard' but more 'he was made to feel so inadequate because of his sexuality that his need to prove himself led to more and more destructive behaviour which ultimately led to something terrible'

Yes that was my reading of it - well explained. His hitting thingy (Lucas' son) to 'standy up for himself and hit back', the stalking and perhaps not hitting Heather but his behaviour afterwards - remember when he said 'proud of me now Dad' to Phil a couple of days after the killing? Not that Shirley would know about that but she understood the basic Phil/Ben dynamic and how it was part of turning Ben on the wrong path.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought for a moment that it was Mick "His dad"?.. Married never cheated on his misses.
    Likes his wife's pink dressing gown!?.
    Scared of what his dad dad thought and married young to try and prove a point!?

For a few seconds, I thought that too. However, I'm sure it's Ben now...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    lewisktfc wrote: »
    I had no idea she was on about Ben till I saw this..

same here, totally forgot about him
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was well obvious it was Ben.
  • Rich_WilsonRich_Wilson Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Oh, I thought she was implying she was raped or something. Maybe I got it totally wrong. I only assumed that as I read somewhere that we're going to find out a lot of shocking things about Shirley's past which explains why she is how she is today. Maybe I was really wrong as the Ben thing makes sense.