Options

BBC Breakfast - Revolving Door Sunday

Comments

• Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got so sick of the Commonwealth Games BBC sycophancy this morning. Naga saying: "I'm missing them already!"

Personally, I couldn't give the slightest toss about any of the Games, Commonwealth or Olympic, so I'm with Usain Bolt on the latest ones!
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    My husband would love this job. I asked him about the pay and he said he could afford to pay up to £100 a week.

LOL :D
    boygreg wrote: »
    Why do we have to have such a long weather forecast every half hour? If Kirkwood wants so much time (most of of it spent on unnecessary and tedious banter with the presenters) - it would be better to have one forecast per hour and a very short summary at other times.

But the reason she's on twice an hour (and why almost everything on that show repeats every 30 mins up until 8.30) is because that's the average length of time people watch in the morning, as they're getting ready for work. It's certainly that way with me these days. When I'm off work, and if I'm awake early, it'd be painful to sit through the whole thing over and over.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Research shows the average viewer watches for about 20 minutes. It's a bit annoying though when at 6.35 they trail something coming on at 8.45 and you're on your way to work.
  • Options
    SjsyeySjsyey Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Breakfast was apparently Louise and Naga this morning! Can't imagine Bill and Charlie being allowed to do it. But then nearly all of BBCs news presenters on BBC1 now seem to be female...
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    Breakfast was apparently Louise and Naga this morning! Can't imagine Bill and Charlie being allowed to do it. But then nearly all of BBCs news presenters on BBC1 now seem to be female...

Charlie was on the programme today, albeit in Glasgow for the special ceremony to mark the 100th anniversary of the commencement of WW1.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Research shows the average viewer watches for about 20 minutes. It's a bit annoying though when at 6.35 they trail something coming on at 8.45 and you're on your way to work.

Yeah, so annoying ,,,,, if only there was technology around that allowed us to save a broadcast for later viewing ,,,,,,,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie was on the programme today, albeit in Glasgow for the special ceremony to mark the 100th anniversary of the commencement of WW1.

I see Naga is still doing the BBC World News programme on BBC1 at 5 am, she was on this morning. Must need the money having now signed for Breakfast.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair, the 8.30-9.15 part is always different from the rest, though, so it's 6-8.30 which is where all the repeated content is.
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yeah, so annoying ,,,,, if only there was technology around that allowed us to save a broadcast for later viewing ,,,,,,,

Oddly, Breakfast isn't on Iplayer, but sometimes they post the interviews on their BBC website. I used to have a channel with interviews on, but the bastards took it down.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Naga is still doing the BBC World News programme on BBC1 at 5 am, she was on this morning. Must need the money having now signed for Breakfast.

Probably still on screen for fewer hours this week than Claire Balding ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an interview with Ms Balding in The Sun last week in which she said she was taking a break from broadcasting because she felt she'd been on too much recently. She also said she had no plans to start a family with her civil partner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger Johnson and Naga this morning
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger Johnson and Naga this morning

And tomorrow morning, Roger will be joined by Katherine Downes.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And tomorrow morning, Roger will be joined by Katherine Downes.

Katherine should have got the job when Susanna left. She's far better than Naga and more like a younger Sian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine should have got the job when Susanna left. She's far better than Naga and more like a younger Sian.

Personally I thought Sally Nugent should have got the job, she seems to be able to handle sport and news equally well.Then we come back to the issue of why does there always have to be a male and female presenter - why not two men or two women ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I thought Sally Nugent should have got the job, she seems to be able to handle sport and news equally well.Then we come back to the issue of why does there always have to be a male and female presenter - why not two men or two women ?

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, there have been occasions when two women have presented. Louise and Naga presented together last week and I'm sure I remember a few times during Sian's time with breakfast where she presented alongside another woman.

Never seen two men presenting alongside each other though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hen we come back to the issue of why does there always have to be a male and female presenter - why not two men or two women ?

My guess is that there could be two reasons (pure guesswork though):

A male/female combination is seen as artistically balancing the presentation in terms of both sexuality and the highness of the female voice against the lowness of the male voice.

A permanent male/male or female/female presentation would of course invoke the wrath of one group or another in terms of sexism/anti males/anti females.

As an example, I have heard some mutterings of dissent on DS when Sky choose to field an all-female line up on Sunrise for their acknowledgement of International Women's Day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Andrew Marr Show on a break?

I notice they've switched to the BBC news channel for an hour today before going on to Sunday Morning Live?
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are mutterings of dissent because we are told we should be equal and encourage a male/female balance then Sky go and have a sofa full of women, when was the last time either news programme had a sofa full of men?

Those two presenting this morning were dull as ditchwater, I turned on and there going "how do you brush your teeth is there a right way we have an expert"...."thank you for that was really interesting I will go brush my teeth now".

Seriously bringing a guest on to tell us how to brush our teeth!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Andrew Marr Show on a break?

I notice they've switched to the BBC news channel for an hour today before going on to Sunday Morning Live?

Yes he always takes a break in August - presumably to go on his hols.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Those two presenting this morning were dull as ditchwater, I turned on and there going "how do you brush your teeth is there a right way we have an expert"...."thank you for that was really interesting I will go brush my teeth now".

Seriously bringing a guest on to tell us how to brush our teeth!

Yep, because, after all these years, the advice from dentists and healthcare professionals is still confusing
    Scientists have published a study on the perfect way to clean your teeth - and it turns out most people have been doing it wrong.

Researchers have said a dizzying array of conflicting advice on tooth brushing has led to confusion about the best way to stay clean and fresh.

A new study found five different methods of tooth brushing in dental textbooks, toothpaste instructions and research papers.

And there simple conclusion is forget little circular motions or moving along the gum-line, the best method is a simple back and forth scrub.

Aubrey Sheilam, professor of dental public health at University College, London has distilled the advice into some simple tips.

He said that a horizontal brushing motion, with the toothbrush held like a pencil at a 45 degree angle, is the best way to get to dental plaque.

He added: "In this study we found an unacceptably inconsistent array of advice from different sources.

"Dental associations need to be consistent about what method to recommend, based on how effective the method is.

"Most worryingly, the methods recommended by dental associations are not the same as the best ones mentioned in dental textbooks.

"There is no evidence to suggest that complicated techniques are any better than a simple gentle scrub."

He also stated that brushing after eating sweets or sugary drinks to prevent tooth decay has little effect because it takes bacteria from food about two minutes to start producing acid, the acid will have already damaged the enamel.

Dentist Dr John Wainwright, who carried out the study, said: "For something most people do twice a day, you would expect dentists to send a clearer, more unified message to their patients on how to brush their teeth."
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scientists-reveal-perfect-tooth-brushing-4028625#.U-cvuhbIgxs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A bit strange they wouldn't just carry on with guest presenters as they have done previously.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC News now have three women reviewing the newspapers - if this was three men.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is that there could be two reasons (pure guesswork though):

A male/female combination is seen as artistically balancing the presentation in terms of both sexuality and the highness of the female voice against the lowness of the male voice.

A permanent male/male or female/female presentation would of course invoke the wrath of one group or another in terms of sexism/anti males/anti females.

As an example, I have heard some mutterings of dissent on DS when Sky choose to field an all-female line up on Sunrise for their acknowledgement of International Women's Day.

For years the original ITV News at Ten only had male presenters beginning with Alastair Burnet, the legendary Reggie Bosanquet and Andrew Gardner in 1967.I don't recall any great public outcry or claims of discrimination. Anna Ford broke the mould in 1978 when she joined from the BBC on a reported salary of £14,000 a year. She was later followed by Pamela Armstrong, Selina Scott and the late Carol Barnes.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

And with it being August with parliament in recess they'd struggle to get many guests on.^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For years the original ITV News at Ten only had male presenters beginning with Alastair Burnet, the legendary Reggie Bosanquet and Andrew Gardner in 1967.I don't recall any great public outcry or claims of discrimination.
    Ah, the 60's - when sex equality was not a big issue at all, where there were few if any female newsreaders on national TV (including the BBC)t question. Very different times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, the 60's - when sex equality was not a big issue at all, where there were few if any female newsreaders on national TV (including the BBC)t question. Very different times.

Well the BBC did have a female newsreader who danced on the Morecambe and Wise Show, but I agree they were more innocent times when Jimmy Savile ruled TOTP, Rolf Harris was a Saturday night TV regular and all was well in the world.