Options

Swansea to finish in the top 4?

soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The way some of these so called big teams are playing so far I could definitely see people putting something on the Swans staying in the top 4 by the end of the season. OK we have only had two games but a good start to the season usually brings out the best in clubs not always expected to do well.

Comments

• Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way some of these so called big teams are playing so far I could definitely see people putting something on the Swans staying in the top 4 by the end of the season. OK we have only had two games but a good start to the season usually brings out the best in clubs not always expected to do well.

Talk about getting carried away.
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far the big teams have a record of played 12 won 8 drawn 3 and lost 1. I don't see a Swansea side who were lucky to beat Burnley finishing above any of them.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get 125/1 on Swansea being in the top 4, so really they've got no chance.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance in hell. Do well to finish top half again if you ask me.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's more chance of Elvis riding Shergar through the streets of Chepstow. Dressed as a nun.

It would be nice to see an unexpected top four entry this season (and, yes, I know there's an easy joke there...) - and Newcastle almost proved a few seasons ago it is not impossible to compete if the chemistry is right - but Swansea need to be up there at Christmas in order to convince all but the most dreamy amongst us to believe it's viable. Everton were (and still are) another example that it's not utterly forlorn.
  • Options
    SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    To quote Tim Minchin, if that happens -

"I will take a compass and carve Fancy That on the side of my cock"
  • Options
    thegreytistthegreytist Posts: 164
    Forum Member

Have you ever watched football before?
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, they have some good players but i think monk will have to overcome a bad patch yet personally.

newcastle are my dark horses for top 4 now everton cannot be considered that it seems.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you ever watched football before?

Wasn't there a 5-a-side team at The Queen Vic once? :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I'll have whatever you're smoking OP. Bottom 4 yes, i'll take a bet on that.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously?

Swansea are a team I'd tip to go down this season. Not going to happen.

7th or 8th would be a very good season at best.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Seriously?

After suggesting Liverpool were going to be relegation candidates after the first game of the season, you're in no position to be saying that.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    After suggesting Liverpool were going to be relegation candidates after the first game of the season, you're in no position to be saying that.

That's because under Hodgson they were struggling around the bottom half of the table. Obviously if you go and spend £80 million on players you won't be getting relegated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's because under Hodgson they were struggling around the bottom half of the table. Obviously if you go and spend £80 million on players you won't be getting relegated.

It was the first game of the season under Brendan Rodgers. The season before that we had Kenny Dalglish. Hodgson has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think outside the obvious top 7, Swansea are the next best team. They've made some great signings, but hanging onto Bony is the best bit of business
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More likely that this thread will be the kiss of death and that they will end up in the teams for relegation thread in a few months time.

Not convinced their manager is that great either.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Two games in and Swansea are going to finish in the top 4 ? :D

I will stick with my pre-season prediction of them finishing in the bottom 3 (or very close to it).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think outside the obvious top 7, Swansea are the next best team. They've made some great signings, but hanging onto Bony is the best bit of business

The obvious top 7 being?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The obvious top 7 being?

It's kind of obvious who the "obvious top 7" are. In no particular order:

Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea, City, Tottenham

Of course you get other teams finishing in one of the top 7 places but generally they're the top 7 teams in the Premier League at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    It's kind of obvious who the "obvious top 7" are. In no particular order:

Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea, City, Tottenham

Of course you get other teams finishing in one of the top 7 places but generally they're the top 7 teams in the Premier League at the moment.

Just wanted to confirm who they meant as they were clearly suggesting Swansea are the 8th best team in the league.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    This is probably worse than Steve Kean hoping for top half table finish and some silverware, I mean seriously, the chance this occurs is slender. I'll predict a top 10 finish at best, but top 4 is impossible (in a way), with the quality and depth of some of the other teams (hinting at top 5 teams). Expected this response.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to confirm who they meant as they were clearly suggesting Swansea are the 8th best team in the league.

Yeah I don't agree with that bit. I don't know who is the 8th best team, normally I'd say Newcastle but at their best they should be amongst the top 7 so I don't think I can say them.

Southampton, maybe? They've been ripped apart but they've still got a good squad and hopefully Koeman is a good enough manager.

I don't think Swansea are the 8th best team in the league.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top 4? I would be extremely surprised if they did. It would be amazing to see but its realistically going to happen. Although with all the turmoil around the teams, anything can happen.

What I will say is this pretty nice run will stand them well for the rest of the season. If it helps them keep confidence levels up and they can pull in some more wins, they could see themselves sitting comfortably in the middle of the league, not having to scrap it out in the relegation battle more importantly.

I think they have as much chance as winning the league as finishing top 4, highly unlikely.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are now 7 points ahead of some so called top 4 teams
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not really 'so called' when it tends to refer to the teams who end up in the top four.