Has Morrissey got it spot on about the British media.

2»

Comments

• DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I personally don't understand where all this obsession with so-called 'celebrities' came from. Is there anywhere else as obsessed with these desperate, media **** as the UK?

Channel 5 and ITV seem the biggest offenders, followed by Channel 4

I'd really recommend watching the Documentary starsuckers, answers a lot of questions! It's a couple of years old but still good

http://youtu.be/QlvLr7DSbog
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I like Morrissey. I can't defend everything he says but overall I'm going with 'like'.

I don't always agree with him. I don't always disagree with him. But he's always worth listening to, whether to strongly agree or strongly disagree with, because he's an intelligent and opinionated person and he's willing to tread into areas where others won't.

He's an agitator (in the best sense of the word) as all artistic people are and uses language like missiles better than anyone but I don't think he has any real malice in him. He is just very very expressive and wades into dangerous territories at times.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzy_Cat wrote: »
    I hate to break it to Morrissey, but when a very old lady and a very, very old man die of natural causes, it's not news, it's normal. It gets in the news because of their fame and achievements over their long lives.

When a famous person takes their own life rather than dying of natural causes like the other two, THAT is the news story.

Right Suzy_Cat, Morrissey missed the point big time. Williams also had the onset of Parkinson's which is a terrible disease and the drugs taken for it can cause depression. My father-in-law had Parkinson's and got dementia as a result too. Williams's suicide was a massive shock but has also resulted in a lot of discussion and debate about depression and Parkinson's. If that helps anyone as a result it is a massive positive and quite right that it overshadowed, but didn't diminish the deaths (due to old age) of Attenborough and Bacall.
    Also, there is much discussion about serious topics in this country, but TBH it is all so worrying and depressing and sometimes downright scary, we need to watch something frivolous or 'dumbed down" occasionally to try to smile.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you as an actor grow old so does your audience. And when you die very old there's not many people left for whom you were an idol. One can be upset about it, but that's how it goes. One should not feel guilty when a death of somebody younger makes more impact on them.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Morrissey. I can't defend everything he says but overall I'm going with 'like'.

I don't always agree with him. I don't always disagree with him. But he's always worth listening to, whether to strongly agree or strongly disagree with, because he's an intelligent and opinionated person and he's willing to tread into areas where others won't.

He's an agitator (in the best sense of the word) as all artistic people are and uses language like missiles better than anyone but I don't think he has any real malice in him. He is just very very expressive and wades into dangerous territories at times.

Spot on.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm afraid I don't share your opinion and I think sometimes by stating a point in terms too boldly than you lose the arguement. Morrisey often doesn't evoke the letter of the Godwin's Law but its spirit in that by comparing something to something in far worse light than it actually deserves you not only make yourself look like an arse but you undermine your own arguement. Ironically its the fact that I share his idealogy in being a vegetarian I find this annoying as it undermines our cause by him living down to the cliche of being a vain bolshie poser who doesn't get that sticking up for animals doesn't mean you should stop caring about human suffering which comparing the meat trade to the slaughter of innocents by a neo-Nazi nutter certainly makes it look like you do.

I get that Morrisey gets people talking and that he's colourful and articulate but not all publicity for a cause is good.

I think that in some ways Morrisey is sincere in his beliefs but he deeply misguided in some other ways and I think there is a fair amout of ego involved in a lot of things he does too.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world revolves around Big Brother, really Moz, most people gave up on it in the noughties and it survives as a cult on Channel 5. Bit like the rubbish you spouted about the olympics making Britain like Nazi Germany and piffle you came out with in the eighties saying animal rights groups and CND should be like the IRA. Also I hear you're not a very nice man when fans approach you.
  • WayfarersWayfarers Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Very eye opening that we live in world that revolves around Big Brother,unlike any other country but we don't talk about the war and other important issues.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/93821/morrissey-says-robin-williams-death-overshadowed-lauren-bacalls

Unfortunately for Morrissey, he has a habit of picking and choosing titbits of info and then totally over generalising to back up his weak argument. I'd also argue that Spain is equally obsessed with celebrities, Big Brother etc.

Morrissey seems to have a very short memory, he has been guilty in the past of very trite throwaway remarks which basically amounted to tabloid baiting- usually in advance of an album release.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's like a one man walking red top these days.

Shame, Mr 'Penguin Classics'
  • bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one of those things, unfortunately. I loved Groucho Marx and Elvis Presley but Elvis got the headlines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morrissey is a brilliant musician IMO and i agree with much of what he says but at the same time he can be a total dick, seems to live in his own little world.
    Like someone else said he could have made his point without having a dig at Robin Williams, just seemed kinda spiteful really.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Morrissey is almost always wrong, about virtually everything

On the rare occasions he's right, it's only because he's stating the blindingly obvious that anyone else already knows.
  • Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrissey be trolling again.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refuse to take a man seriously who compares meat eaters with paedophiles.
    Or compared anybody who went to watch London 2012 Olympics with Nazi sympathisers in the 30s.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or compared anybody who went to watch London 2012 Olympics with Nazi sympathisers in the 30s.

OK that one I missed. When did he do that and how did he make that analogy attempt to fly?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I never knew he said that one either :eek: