Does Corrie have a cobbled street agenda?

CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
Forum Member
✭✭
This type of road used to be very common. Now most cobbled streets have been paved over. Corrie insists it keeps the cobbles? Is it time they moved on and embraced Tarmac? After all most people these days can't identify with cobbles in real life but Tarmac is popular.
By the way I'm not being serious!

Comments

• Tass BTass B Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cobbles will always be part of Corrie's charm. They have been there for 50 years +. No point in changing them just because we now have tarmac!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    This type of road used to be very common. Now most cobbled streets have been paved over. Corrie insists it keeps the cobbles? Is it time they moved on and embraced Tarmac? After all most people these days cant identify with cobbles in real life but Tarmac is popular.

Do you know I'd never really noticed before but you're right!!!
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention!!
    I shall be writing to my local MP to complain forthwith!
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,272
    Forum Member
    I think the Cobbles was part of a campaign for the 40th anniversary. Didn't the council want to get rid of them after Audrey tripped up on them?
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How dare they try and push cobbles onto our screens, I much prefer tarmaced roads
    Forum Member
    How dare they try and push cobbles onto our screens, I much prefer tarmaced roads

Yes it's disgusting! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Incredible! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Those sneaky devils :eek:
  • Grape AdeGrape Ade Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    These silly threads are demeaning ALL the comments defending and NOT defending the 'amount of gay characters' and surely one mocking thread is enough?
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grape Ade wrote: »
    These silly threads are demeaning ALL the comments defending and NOT defending the 'amount of gay characters' and surely one mocking thread is enough?

Oooh, someone needs their HRT up-ing! :D
    Forum Member
    Grape Ade wrote: »

Nah. You can't have too much of a good thing! :p
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a confession, I'm not actually the free thinking, open minded individual I thought I was. I actually am a bit of a cobblephobic. I know, in this day and age but I can't get passed it. It might be something to do with my parents who knows, so I can't actually watch Corrie because of this, imo it should not be seen or heard, it should only be used when telling period stories. Don't hate me, I'm trying to change.
    Forum Member
    I have a confession, I'm not actually the free thinking, open minded individual I thought I was. I actually am a bit of a cobblephobic. I know, in this day and age but I can't get passed it. It might be something to do with my parents who knows, so I can't actually watch Corrie because of this, imo it should not be seen or heard, it should only be used when telling period stories. Don't hate me, I'm trying to change.

I agree. I think for me it was being brought up in Milton Keynes, a predominantly tarmac and concrete environment. When I was growing up, no-one openly discussed "cobbles". :(
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I think for me it was being brought up in Milton Keynes, a predominantly tarmac and concrete environment. When I was growing up, no-one openly discussed "cobbles". :(

if we're going to get deep about it, is that I grew up on a cobbled street and when I was crossing the road, fell over and injuried my knee. To this day I have no idea what I did wrong, why I was attacked by the cobbles. I was a small girl, just making my way in life and then it came out of nowhere. I don't why I'm telling strangers these personal things but I felt as though I had to speak for the first time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Yes I differently think that Corrie have a cobbled street agenda. I remember a storyline when the council tried to replace the cobbles with tarmac and Ken stopped them by laying down in the street. Now if that is not a cobbled street agenda what is?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually no, my town (which isn't too far from Wetherfield/where Corrie is filmed) developed a street in the town centre to BRING BACK the cobbles.

There are also several back streets I can think of where cobbles are still current.

Where are you from? Because living in the area that Corrie is based around, I actually see streets with cobbles. Is it so wrong to want to preserve something like that? I don't think so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    I for one embrace the rights of the cobbles to be represented fairly and on an equal footing with tarmac roads, but I'd rather the issue wasn't forcibly inflicted upon the viewers. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad most people have got this thread, i thought it was quite obvious what it was about, but evidently not...
  • A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    They've got more dimensions than Sean Tully! and sure do animate the street a lot more than those whinge bags Sophie and Sian. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the set moves do you think Phil Cobblestone will insist on adding more cobbles to the set and other surrounding streets rumoured to be built? I mean there must be Hundreds of cobbles there already!!!! Do we need more?! :D
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disgusting. Children watch this show, they shouldn't be subjected to this kind of thing.

I actually projectile vomited at the thought of the cobbled bastards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I love cobbles and wish some of the idiots on DS who continuously post "too many cobbles on Corrie" threads would walk down Coronation Street and trip and break their fool necks on the cobbles :D

Cobbles deserve representation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    I love cobbles and wish some of the idiots on DS who continuously post "too many cobbles on Corrie" threads would walk down Coronation Street and trip and break their fool necks on the cobbles :D

Cobbles deserve representation.

Are you stereotyping cobbles and suggesting they are out to do people harm?! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I am suggesting they should do harm to the cobblephobes on here to shut them up :D

Because if I see one more thread moaning about cobbles on soaps I will scream and go postal on peoples asses on here :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    I am suggesting they should do harm to the cobblephobes on here to shut them up :D

Because if I see one more thread moaning about cobbles on soaps I will scream and go postal on peoples asses on here :)

You're right! The number of cobblestone related threads is getting out of hand now! Why can't people just use the one thread for all their cobble-related comments?! :D
  • agatha_crispiesagatha_crispies Posts: 31,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a disgrace. Next, they'll have Australians in it.

It's the thin end of the wedge.