Options

Fringe Season 4 UK Pace Sky One [Spoilers in tags]

srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is now in my series links for next week, Weds 28th.
Looking forward to this. Just about the only true sci fi around now.

Please keep spoiler to a minimum and any that are posted please tag them. Minor spoilers include episode names and guest appearances and these should also be tagged.

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wheres wally...err peter?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to go into this one thinking it's the last season. They were lucky in that it got renewed early last year before FOX did its massive house-cleaning.

Walter vs Walternate should be most fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeubus this forum moves so fast, had to go to page 5 to find this thread :rolleyes:

looking forward to Fringe tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to go into this one thinking it's the last season. They were lucky in that it got renewed early last year before FOX did its massive house-cleaning.

They wasn't lucky, FOX showed faith in the show and renewed it early to prove that.
    Providing ratings dont go down this show is more then likely to go the distance and this certainly wont be the last season.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wasn't lucky, FOX showed faith in the show and renewed it early to prove that.
    Providing ratings dont go down this show is more then likely to go the distance and this certainly wont be the last season.

i heard that they renewed it for a discounted price or somthing so that it would go in to syndication when it reached 88 episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    i heard that they renewed it for a discounted price or somthing so that it would go in to syndication when it reached 88 episodes.

Yeah there are many rumours going around, we wont really ever know the full story of the ins and outs of its renewal but as long as it continues I dont care;)

IMO Fringe is about the only real sci-fi show left on TV now worth watching.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah aslong as its comming back i don't care one way or another.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

I think the ratings for the US premiere of Fringe S4 were OK if
    not great. I still think S4 will probably be the last season, though.
    But I don't mind, as long as the show gets a proper conclusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the ratings for the US premiere of Fringe S4 were OK if
    not great. I still think S4 will probably be the last season, though.
    But I don't mind, as long as the show gets a proper conclusion.

I think Syndication may end up giving it more seasons, maybe one of the reasons why fox renewed it this season.
    Jeff/Joel have said they need 7 seasons to tell the full story, we can all just hope they get this and we dont get a watered down ending.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Syndication may end up giving it more seasons, maybe one of the reasons why fox renewed it this season.
    Jeff/Joel have said they need 7 seasons to tell the full story, we can all just hope they get this and we dont get a watered down ending.

Or a Waltered down ending...

looking forward to this tonight :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

I know i was wrong about it getting cancelled last year (happy to be wrong!), but i really think that we should expect Season 4 to be the last. Fox's charity will only extend so far, and considering that it's a Warner Brothers produced show, i can't see syndication being a factor in whether it gets renewed, at least not from Fox's perspective since they wont see any of that syndication money). I think the only real reason that it got renewed for a 4th season was because WB offered it to Fox at a lower cost so that WB could get it up to the necessary 88 episodes for syndication. I don't buy that story that the Fox execs "love the show" and that's why it's been kept around, if that were the case and all a show needed was to be liked by the network execs then Firefly would probably be on it's 8th season, lol.

If the show manages to maintain around a 1.5 rating i think it will stand a chance at a 5th season, but since the premiere episode is usually the highest a show manages, i can see it dropping next week (not to mention that Supernatural will be airing on The CW at the same time from next week and will possibly take a chunk out of Fringe's audience). If it starts to get near a 1.0 rating then i think it's a goner. I'd love to be proved wrong again though!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I know i was wrong about it getting cancelled last year (happy to be wrong!), but i really think that we should expect Season 4 to be the last. Fox's charity will only extend so far, and considering that it's a Warner Brothers produced show, i can't see syndication being a factor in whether it gets renewed, at least not from Fox's perspective since they wont see any of that syndication money). I think the only real reason that it got renewed for a 4th season was because WB offered it to Fox at a lower cost so that WB could get it up to the necessary 88 episodes for syndication. I don't buy that story that the Fox execs "love the show" and that's why it's been kept around, if that were the case and all a show needed was to be liked by the network execs then Firefly would probably be on it's 8th season, lol.

If the show manages to maintain around a 1.5 rating i think it will stand a chance at a 5th season, but since the premiere episode is usually the highest a show manages, i can see it dropping next week (not to mention that Supernatural will be airing on The CW at the same time from next week and will possibly take a chunk out of Fringe's audience). If it starts to get near a 1.0 rating then i think it's a goner. I'd love to be proved wrong again though!:p

I personally believe FOX, they would not have renewed it so early otherwise, it would just have been renewed along with everything else.
    You were wrong before and I am sure your be wrong again;)
    Providing it can keep simular viewing figures to last season we should see it renewed.
    But some people wont be happy until its cancelled, dont know why some people have to keep on about it being cancelled before its even started ;), this happened at the start of last season as well so maybe everyone on about it being cancelled will be a good luck omen:D
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I personally believe FOX, they would not have renewed it so early otherwise, it would just have been renewed along with everything else.
    You were wrong before and I am sure your be wrong again;)
    Providing it can keep simular viewing figures to last season we should see it renewed.
    But some people wont be happy until its cancelled, dont know why some people have to keep on about it being cancelled before its even started ;), this happened at the start of last season as well so maybe everyone on about it being cancelled will be a good luck omen:D

I don't want to see Fringe cancelled, but I would rather
    we have four excellent seasons of Fringe than say, seven
    seasons of Fringe where the next three seasons are
    poor (look what happened to the X-Files, which kept going
    long after the show had run out of creative steam).

And accord to some sources, Pinker and Wyman already have the episode written (presumably locked away,
    J.K. Rowling style, until they decide to conclude the show).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to see Fringe cancelled, but I would rather
    we have four excellent seasons of Fringe than say, seven
    seasons of Fringe where the next three seasons are
    poor (look what happened to the X-Files, which kept going
    long after the show had run out of creative steam).

And accord to some sources, Pinker and Wyman already have the episode written (presumably locked away,
    J.K. Rowling style, until they decide to conclude the show).

You getting confused with last season, they had written an ending in case FOX cancelled it at the end of season 3, I very much doubt at this moment in time they have written yet another ending let alone come out and stated that fact.
    Whenever I see these guys talk about the show its always about planing out a seven year arch.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New gold intro lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the new credits :)

So we got some anwsers there. We know from the "See the boy grow into a man" line that Peter did exist as a child. But he died, "Some people even die Twice". So presumably our universe's Peter died of the illness and altverse Peter drowned in the car crash.
    This obviously drove Walter to experiment with Necromantic tech, such as bringing dead birds back to life.
    Walter said he was in the asylum for 17 years, is this the same timeframe as before or did Peter's two deaths drive him insane?

The whole answers lead to more question line is all very Lost...

Wonder what's going on with the Observers?

good first ep to the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll just get this out of the way first: Fauxlivia is so much hotter than our Olivia, lol, i think it's the brown hair and spunky attitude that does it!

I thought it was a decent ep, but i was a bit disappointed that it was essentially a "Freak of the Week" episode with 10 minutes reserved for the main story arc (Smallville did that last year and it was annoying as hell!). I wouldn't have minded the "Freak of the Week" episode so much for the second episode of the season, but as the premiere it was a bit of a cop out i thought. After just discovering a bridge between universes you'd think they'd be more interested in that. I like that they've brought Lincoln into it more though, i like his character.

Also, that was an incredibly brief cameo for Joe Flanigan, i'm guessing that the creators weren't fans of Stargate Atlantis :p
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a decent ep, but i was a bit disappointed that it was essentially a "Freak of the Week" episode with 10 minutes reserved for the main story arc (Smallville did that last year and it was annoying as hell!). I wouldn't have minded the "Freak of the Week" episode so much for the second episode of the season, but as the premiere it was a bit of a cop out i thought. After just discovering a bridge between universes you'd think they'd be more interested in that. I like that they've brought Lincoln into it more though, i like his character.
    I think it's fairly clear that the Freaks of the week aka the Human Shapeshifters are going to be part of the ongoing storyline.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just get this out of the way first: Fauxlivia is so much hotter than our Olivia, lol, i think it's the brown hair and spunky attitude that does it!

My thoughts exactly :)

"Our" Olivia always has a look on her face that seems as if she's just about to apologise all the time. Fauxlivia is much more feisty.

Anyway, not a bad opening episode. Back on familiar X Files territory with the team chasing weird creatures but it was good to see Agent Lee in our universe. Sems he has quite high morals.

And I thought we were going to see more of Col. Sheppard, sorry - Joe Flanagan - but his appearance was all too brief.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    New gold intro lol

I was thinking Amber :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'li was a bit disappointed that it was essentially a "Freak of the Week" episode

I think that's a little harsh. There was a lot in this episode other than a simple investigation into a freak.
    A new(ish) member to Fringe Division.
    A new baddie - The organic shapeshifters.
    More Observer action than most episodes.
    Confirming that most of recent history is still the same, Olivia and John Scott investigated the plane as in the Pilot.
    We got some background on Walter, he's less stable now without Peter to "tether him to the world" and he seems to have cracked sooner and spent longer in the institution. Also that the focus of his research is on reanimation of the dead, perhaps he wishes to ressurect Peter (or wished to at some stage).
    It laid the groundwork for the two universes working together and their relationship etc. I'm guessing that the next investigation will be Fauxlivia looking into these organic ShapeShifters. Are they from the altverse? Maybe a secret program of Walternate? are they from this universe? Perhaps ZFT designed them to fight the shapeshifters from the altverse? Or are they from a third universe?

Complaining that a show about the Fringe Division of FBI investigate Fringe crimes is a bit like complaining that an episoe fo Grey's Anatomy had medical stuff in it.
    Fringe has always had investigations on the go, but they've also been very good an interweaving story arc elements. It's done quite subtly so you learn about the characters and story arc without heavy handed exposition and clunky dialogue.
    The X-Files had little to no focus. Its background story was made up on the fly and had no end point in mind. Fringe is a lot more focused and the background story is a lot stronger.
    Where the X-Files was a freak of the week show with some story arc elements, Fringe is a story arc show with some freak of the week elements.
  • Options
    dtglayerdtglayer Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    CJClark Post 12

Fringe and Supernatural both premiere the same time last week.Has you correctly said Fringe got a 1.5,and Supernatural got a 0.8.The test will come when Gimm air's on the same 9pm slot in a few weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Im a bit annoyed at sky, did they even bother to advertise it?

I just happened to turn on the tv at the right time to catch it starting, i had no idea it was on and it wasn't set to record automatically either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    srhDS wrote: »
    I think that's a little harsh. There was a lot in this episode other than a simple investigation into a freak.
    A new(ish) member to Fringe Division.
    A new baddie - The organic shapeshifters.
    More Observer action than most episodes.
    Confirming that most of recent history is still the same, Olivia and John Scott investigated the plane as in the Pilot.
    We got some background on Walter, he's less stable now without Peter to "tether him to the world" and he seems to have cracked sooner and spent longer in the institution. Also that the focus of his research is on reanimation of the dead, perhaps he wishes to ressurect Peter (or wished to at some stage).
    It laid the groundwork for the two universes working together and their relationship etc. I'm guessing that the next investigation will be Fauxlivia looking into these organic ShapeShifters. Are they from the altverse? Maybe a secret program of Walternate? are they from this universe? Perhaps ZFT designed them to fight the shapeshifters from the altverse? Or are they from a third universe?

Complaining that a show about the Fringe Division of FBI investigate Fringe crimes is a bit like complaining that an episoe fo Grey's Anatomy had medical stuff in it.
    Fringe has always had investigations on the go, but they've also been very good an interweaving story arc elements. It's done quite subtly so you learn about the characters and story arc without heavy handed exposition and clunky dialogue.
    The X-Files had little to no focus. Its background story was made up on the fly and had no end point in mind. Fringe is a lot more focused and the background story is a lot stronger.
    Where the X-Files was a freak of the week show with some story arc elements, Fringe is a story arc show with some freak of the week elements.

Yeah you're right actually, my attention wasn't fully on the episode last night due to a headache i had, so not much of what you've written "clicked" with me while i was watching it. Think i'll give it another watch since it's on Anytime.
    dtglayer wrote: »
    CJClark Post 12

Fringe and Supernatural both premiere the same time last week.Has you correctly said Fringe got a 1.5,and Supernatural got a 0.8.The test will come when Gimm air's on the same 9pm slot in a few weeks.

Ah, my mistake, for some reason i thought Supernatural started this week (i don't watch it). I kind of doubt that Grimm will have much of an impact on Fringe though to be honest, that show has "axed by Christmas" written all over it (not to mention that pretty much all of the new NBC shows this year have been failing spectacularly, and i can't see Grimm being an exception to this).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah you're right actually, my attention wasn't fully on the episode last night due to a headache i had, so not much of what you've written "clicked" with me while i was watching it. Think i'll give it another watch since it's on Anytime.

Ah, my mistake, for some reason i thought Supernatural started this week (i don't watch it). I kind of doubt that Grimm will have much of an impact on Fringe though to be honest, that show has "axed by Christmas" written all over it (not to mention that pretty much all of the new NBC shows this year have been failing spectacularly, and i can't see Grimm being an exception to this).

Completely OT but what is Grimm??? Some new programme which is starting and which I know nothing about???