Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Dotun Adebayo. The man who comitted yet another major gaffe the other night by informing us that 'Morning Has Broken' was a song written by Cat Stevens. That prompted a flurry of texts and emails, one of which he actually read out (probably unintentionally) saying " Dotun Adebayo, you really are a complete muppet". :D
    I admire your stamina Frank with you still listening to the Virtual Jukebox, which by now should be named the Virtual JOKEbox, because the way it is going on without end and rhyme or reason they might as well put every single track that has ever been recorded on it and be done with it to save the ongoing tedium. I really cannot believe there is a discussion weekly on radio about a subject I am very interested in but that I can simply no longer abide for its sheer awfulness and frequent ignorance.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Yes, you are probably right. I still can't believe Lbc (which Rajar suggests has fewer listeners !!!) has a thread which receives considerably more traffic. And that too bearing in mind there is a separate Lbc politics thread...

Whether one loves them, or loathes them, the LBC presenters have personalities, and most importantly opinions. This will obviously give people more to discuss compared to the vapid 5live output.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed the Transfer Deadline Day show last night on the Red Button. Mark Chapman handles the multi-guest format very well. And in my opinion, the double act of Danny Murphy and Phillip Neville should be used more. Very entertaining and funny.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact it seems no one seems to wish to debate how good or how crap Five has become. The bookies have given up on Clacton and Scotland - So has the the thread originator it seems.... Can't blame her/him.

I'm sorry I haven't been here as much _ been away for a break up north and about to start new job tomorrow had to do prep for.....while also building up a new business which has to run parallel for now with daytime work
    _ building the web site and meetings has taken most of my web time as eventually I want to be 100% self employed rather than working ....

I've dipped in when I can but obviously the thread I started hadn't been on top of my priorities....
    I don't think it's died in fact pleased it's going on past 300 on its own .....

Will try harder to post from now on ....

Oh for reference by the way...I am a him not her :)
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The only genuinely good show that remains on 5 Live and has stayed consistent since the very beginning is Up All Night early in the week when presented by Rhod Sharp.

Up All Night is a good listen, but it not the only good thing on 5 Live. I would suggest (in no particular ranking order):

Up All Night
    Weekend Breakfast
    Wherever Tony Livesey turns up on the schedule
    Saturday Edition ( a crime it is being axed)
    5 Live Sport (better without Mark Pougatch)
    Wake Up To Money (though it is too long)
    Drive
    The first hour of breakfast

I'd also have no problem with Phil Williams programme if he'd drop the quiz, Sunday morning output's not bad. I'm not over bothered by Shelgah Fogarty, can take small doses of Victoria and Richard Bacon can be engaging when he is not going on about Richard Bacon! Dotun's ok, just don't get why we have to have music at the weekend.

I just find myself at odds with some of the programmes everyone says are great, i.e. Simon Mayo's film indulgence and (I can almost hear people readying themselves to be very rude to me) Danny Baker's programme! Honest I'm not a bad person, I just think Danny is better suited elsewhere. I'm not big on the dreary science programme and think non league broadcasting standards appear to be allowed on the Non league programme.which comes across to me as a shouty mess.

Overall though, I think Five Live is by a long way the BBC's best network and I would sorely miss it if it wasn't there.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the Transfer Deadline Day show last night on the Red Button. Mark Chapman handles the multi-guest format very well. And in my opinion, the double act of Danny Murphy and Phillip Neville should be used more. Very entertaining and funny.

Yes I enjoyed it as well. Considering the stick that Phil Neville got at the World Cup, which I thought was a little unfair considering he had only just started, I thought he came over well last night with Danny Murphy. I switched on the red button to see what they were eating, as they had mentioned it, but all that was left on the table was a chicken bone. A good programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    I did say that before you posted this but it was deleted. Seems if you criticise the critics here they go crying to the mods. Bless.

Absolutely spot on. I posted a criticism a few days ago and another poster came on, who does not often post on this thread and suggested I listen to something else. I noted that on the other occasions I had seen their posts, he/she was always having a go at one of the regular critics. I did not need his/her advice but I did not respond for exactly the above reason. I just thought "well the comments made say more about the poster than they do about me". The BBC seem to have a certain agenda regarding a particular subject and they don't appear to have learnt anything from the activities of some of their previous staff
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fogherty's last week, Sam Walker on at 10am next week, Bacon still showing on the schedule
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa Stansfield getting a free 30 minute plug for her new album on Williams.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    5 live was a better station when it focussed on hard news and sports. When it started to 'feminise' it went down hill with endless stories about misery, z list celebrities and rubbish TV shows and dumb guests.

If the station can get back to what it used to be then it may bring back those early years.

I really wish they'd bring back Simon Mayo. Someone should get on their hands and knees and beg him to come back.

Give him that mid afternoon slot again.
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I never listen to the film review show and don't like Mark Kermode, but I would enjoy Simon Mayo doing his old programme again.

I didn't know Saturday Edition had been axed. What's replacing it? I know Chris Warburton is taking over Tony Livesey's slot on Weekend Breakfast which I am happy about. I always prefer it when he stands in for VD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fogherty's last week, Sam Walker on at 10am next week, Bacon still showing on the schedule

Trouble is she keeps popping up on LBC spoiling my weekends! >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No doubt for Derbyshire there'll be a final lingering look around the familiar Salford studio ... so many memories.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt for Derbyshire there'll be a final lingering look around the familiar Salford studio ... so many memories.

Yes, she could ask herself "How do you feel" and reply, and then answer "Riiiigghhht".
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Richard has said his last show is on the 24th.
    5 live was a better station when it focussed on hard news and sports. When it started to 'feminise' it went down hill with endless stories about misery, z list celebrities and rubbish TV shows and dumb guests.

If the station can get back to what it used to be then it may bring back those early years.

I really wish they'd bring back Simon Mayo. Someone should get on their hands and knees and beg him to come back.

Give him that mid afternoon slot again.

Why would Simon Mayo leave one of the biggest shows in UK radio?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:):):)
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,879
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »

Why would Simon Mayo leave one of the biggest shows in UK radio?

And having to move to Manchester would also cause issues I guess.
    Leave Mayo where he is, his Drivetime show is the best.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't blame Simon Mayo for not wanting to move to Salford, all his kids are settled at schools in London, & it shows it's been un unpopular move as some of the presenters are leaving the station.

At the moment VD is talking about honour beatings, how thrilling ! Her programme gets more like Woman's Hour every day .

I've decided not to post about Radio 5 again until the new schedule is in place, I don't wish to say any more about Derbyshire, Bacon, Campbell ,Nolan etc, it's bad for my blood pressure :D
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not listened to Derbyshire for some time. Switched on today and I'm presented with a woman tearfully describing at length the time when she was viciously attacked by her father in law. Victoria chimes in, "If you have any children around you may not want them to hear this" "You may find this upsetting" etc.........................no thanks, roll on Adrian and Peter.
  • Options
    Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Bacon.
    Why? I mean just why?. Please explain, why? I just don't know why. TAPS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

;-):):)

she managed to get herself onto BBC2 presenting something on scottish independence...as she can't find Salford up North god knows why she's doing anything with Scotland... :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are the 5 live news producers stupid. 2200 hours news tonight. Phil Wiliams "The British hostage who we are not naming at the request of the relatives" Female news reader, "The 44 years old British hostage who has relatives in Scotland". That's the second time I have heard that said today. How long before some muppet lets the name slip out?
  • Options
    ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sam Walker will be a massive improvement on Fogerty, that change was long overdue.
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bbc have been having trouble today with their DAB signal across the country. surprised no-one has been on here to blame VD for it... everything else at 5Live seems to be her fault!
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the problems are with the DAB signal, I think it's a problem on whatever system they use when talking to guests outside the studio. Rachel apologised for the fault during the breakfast show this morning. Also, the fault was obvious on internet radio in the car this morning too.
This discussion has been closed.