Options

RTÉ Ireland (proposal document)

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
Five Year Plan

http://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/rtestrategicplan-shortversion.pdf
RTÉ plans to launch an RTÉ branded linear television channel – working title RTÉ Ireland. The channel will be made available free to air in the Great Britain market (England, Scotland and Wales) on satellite and cable platforms (the channel will not be available in Northern Ireland as RTÉ One and RTÉ Two are available on Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media). The channel will also be made available online at RTÉ.ie.

The target market for the channel is the Irish diaspora and anyone who has an interest in Irish life, culture and media. The channel is to feature Irish content sourced from the schedules of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two and from the RTÉ archive and will feature a number of genres – entertainment, factual, lifestyle, and news and current affairs. Some programmes will be simulcast live from the RTÉ One and RTÉ Two schedules.

With the implementation of the digital content server we will be able to manage the set-up costs, and it is the intention to base the packaging and playout the channel at an established external playout facility in order to minimise upfront investment.

I'm sure this will please plenty.

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds very much like the old Tara channel RTE used to run in the analogue satellite days but they couldn't make it pay. I am sure there are many ex-pat Irish people in the UK who would be happy to pay for such a channel
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Sounds very much like the old Tara channel RTE used to run in the analogue satellite days but they couldn't make it pay. I am sure there are many ex-pat Irish people in the UK who would be happy to pay for such a channel

...and plenty of non-Irish as well :)

However, it makes more sense for it to be offered on a FTA basis (he says selfishly). It can take advertising to partly or wholly recoup costs. It will reach amuch wider audience ona FTA basis.

I would very much welcome it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slight contradiction in statement that it will be FTA yet not available in N. Ireland. It surely would be FTV rather than FTA for only if its FTV can it be blocked out in N. Ireland.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slight contradiction in statement that it will be FTA yet not available in N. Ireland. It surely would be FTV rather than FTA for only if its FTV can it be blocked out in N. Ireland.

Indeed, looks like a non-sequitur but this is RTE we are talking about. If its FTA its FTA for all.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news from RTÉ, hopefully this comes about sooner rather then later and provides the people of the UK with a decent channel showcasing all that's good on Irish television.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I remember Tara TV. My aunt used to watch it and I watched it a few times. I think I saw the news on it. She's Irish but lives in London.
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might might not have it listed on the EPG in NI but Free to Air other than that.

There isn't a real reason to encrypt it, if it's going to be stuff they have the rights for in Ireland. Upsetting advertisers maybe but the ITV regions seem to do OK on that score.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given that NI already has RTE they might as well just make it Free to Air across the UK on Freesat and have done with it. They might make it postcode specific, but obviously it's simple to bung a 'mainland' postcode in.

It barely seems worth the bother to go down the viewing card route, and it would exclude a lot of potential viewers...
  • Options
    Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we get Shortland Street as RTE One broadcast it and we haven't had it since 2010?
  • Options
    TonyCurrieTonyCurrie Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

RTE didn't "run" Tara. They were a tiny minority shareholder in a company owned and operated by United International Holdings, based in London and Denver.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTÉ basically thinks of itself as an all-Ireland broadcaster because of the overspill across the border... when you watch RTÉ programmes (that are not suppose to be broadcast in the North) you will always see the competitions all have ROI and NI numbers... I think they just take it for granted that Ireland means north and south.
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    RTÉ basically thinks of itself as an all-Ireland broadcaster because of the overspill across the border... when you watch RTÉ programmes (that are not suppose to be broadcast in the North) you will always see the competitions all have ROI and NI numbers... I think they just take it for granted that Ireland means north and south.
    The point is something can't be free to air on DSAT and not available in NI. It can be off the EPG though which would be as good as.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is something can't be free to air on DSAT and not available in NI. It can be off the EPG though which would be as good as.
    I would think they mean that it won't be on the sky/freesat epg in NI because RTÉ do hold rights on an all-Ireland basis so it would not be meant for NI.. unless of course the mean FTV, but that wouldn't really make much sense as the full RTÉ service is available in every house in NI anyway.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Five Year Plan

http://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/rtestrategicplan-shortversion.pdf

I'm sure this will please plenty.

I'd welcome such a channel but how on earth are RTE going to afford this? I thought that they were effectively broke and in dire financial straits.

I would have thought that an interim, cost effective solution would be to put RTE's News Now rolling news channel on both Sky and Freesat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd welcome such a channel but how on earth are RTE going to afford this? I thought that they were effectively broke and in dire financial straits.

I would have thought that an interim, cost effective solution would be to put RTE's News Now rolling news channel on both Sky and Freesat.
    Possibly the minister for communications might make funds available .. RTÉ News Now is fairly pathetic, not worth launching in the UK, its fine for an internet channel but not for a main news channel.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Possibly the minister for communications might make funds available .. RTÉ News Now is fairly pathetic, not worth launching in the UK, its fine for an internet channel but not for a main news channel.

Please do keep us informed, irishfeen, if they do decide to do that. I assume that new channel would be a mixture of news and home-produced content from RTEs 1 & 2 which gets around having to pay for rights for imported content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please do keep us informed, irishfeen, if they do decide to do that. I assume that new channel would be a mixture of news and home-produced content from RTEs 1 & 2 which gets around having to pay for rights for imported content.
    Yeah i'll keep an ear out for what RTÉ are planning, yeah I would think so.. RTÉ have a large collection of current and past (since 1961) programming, them along with the live news and current affairs programmes would make a decent little addition for people in the UK... You would never know if things are going well and the channel was money making they might start buying rights like the GAA and others on a UK/Ireland basis.
  • Options
    Darren_HaywardDarren_Hayward Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah i'll keep an ear out for what RTÉ are planning, yeah I would think so.. RTÉ have a large collection of current and past (since 1961) programming, them along with the live news and current affairs programmes would make a decent little addition for people in the UK... You would never know if things are going well and the channel was money making they might start buying rights like the GAA and others on a UK/Ireland basis.

What about Horse Racing in the form of RTE's televised meetings (ATR permitting) namely the Irish Derby (not shown in the UK since 2009)
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan_Cbbc wrote: »
    Will we get Shortland Street as RTE One broadcast it and we haven't had it since 2010?

Watched Shorland Street a few times on the old Border TV while on holiday down in the Scottish Borders and the Dumfries area. Is that show still being made.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Horse Racing in the form of RTE's televised meetings (ATR permitting) namely the Irish Derby (not shown in the UK since 2009)
    Possible of course but ATR might not look kindly on RTÉ doing that.... RTÉ have Punchestown, Galway and Leopardstown etc. containing the big big Irish races (Irish Grand National, Hennessy Gold Cup, Irish Champion Stakes and the Irish Derby etc.)...

Just a sample of what would might be on the channel tonight combing homegrown tv on RTÉ 1/2 tonight ...

06:01 - RTÉ Main Evening News and Weather.
    07:00 - Nationwide
    07:30 - Scannal: Ash Cloud
    08:00 - Feargal Quinn's Retail Therapy
    08:30 - The Mario Rosenstock Show
    09:00 - RTÉ News: 9 O'Clock
    09:35 - The Secret Millionaire
    10:35 - Prime Time
    11:15 - Damo & Ivor
    11:45 - Anonymous
    12:15 - The Late Late Show (Repeat)

Tomorrow Night -

07:00 - Craft Master
    07:30 - God on the Box
    08:00 - Fair City
    08:30 - Firefighters
    09:35 - Prime Time
    10:35 - The Raj in the Rain
    11:40 - RTÉ News on two
    12:00 - Archive Programming Needed
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rtetv ireland won't happen this is a rte tactic of promising a lot to get more money from the broadcasting charge that replaces irish tv licence

rtetv has a wonderful archive but declined to show it here in ireland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftakeith wrote: »
    rtetv ireland won't happen this is a rte tactic of promising a lot to get more money from the broadcasting charge that replaces irish tv licence

You would never know they might surprise us, you are right though they have a fantastic archive... The reason why they don't show it here is probably because they were denied the licence to launch RTÉ 3 which was to be an archive channel.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftakeith wrote: »

Surely ofcourse launching a channel that isn't available to the people paying the broadcasting charge will be a great way to butter them up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possible of course but ATR might not look kindly on RTÉ doing that.... RTÉ have Punchestown, Galway and Leopardstown etc. containing the big big Irish races (Irish Grand National, Hennessy Gold Cup, Irish Champion Stakes and the Irish Derby etc.)...

Just a sample of what would might be on the channel tonight combing homegrown tv on RTÉ 1/2 tonight ...

07:00 - Nationwide
    07:30 - Scannal: Ash Cloud
    08:00 - Feargal Quinn's Retail Therapy
    08:30 - The Mario Rosenstock Show
    09:35 - The Secret Millionaire
    10:35 - Prime Time
    11:15 - Damo & Ivor
    11:45 - Anonymous
    12:15 - The Late Late Show (Repeat)

Tomorrow Night -

07:00 - Craft Master
    07:30 - God on the Box
    08:00 - Fair City
    08:30 - Firefighters
    09:35 - Prime Time
    10:35 - The Raj in the Rain
    11:40 - RTÉ News on two
    12:00 - Archive Programming Needed

There's plenty on TG4 that can also be used too.
  • Options
    PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly everybody around Dublin seemed to have tall masts for Freeview pointing to NI or Wales.