Which format do you prefer Pop Idol or X Factor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
Forum Member
✭✭
I have to say I like both formats. It was a shame when Pop Idol finished. Mainly because Michelle McManus was such a huge flop. But if someone Simon doesn't rate (such as the McDonalds) wins this year, I think that could be the end of the X Factor too.

I think it should alternate each year. One year Pop Idol, the next X-Factor and so on.

Which do you prefer? And why?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I am agreeing with you on the alternation thing there, both shows deserve to be given a fair chance. I personally love X Factor, and I always come downstairs on a Saturday to watch the show, but I also was glued to Pop Idol when it was airing on ITV, and it is strange, big things make a difference e.g. contestants, judges etc. but so do the little things like opening titles, studio etc. and personally, I think I prefer Pop Idol for a number of reasons. Each series has had a varirty of contestants, they are not all the same like the X Factor, the opening credits were awesome and glued you in straight away and the Judges were not always spiteful to each other, they did not pick on the contestants based on the judges. Pop Idol also had LOTS of unusual contestants too, you can't forget YMCA girl and How Lovely are your Branches woman? Hilarious stuff! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer the lay out of pop idol - and other shows too like popstars the rivals

But x factor is good in that it has all 3 categories - 18-24 24s and over, and bands

but aesthetically i prefer pop idol
  • DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it with X Factor at the end of the year and American Idol in the first half of the year. A nice balance with different formats.

Great shows but the winners though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the 'final 50' thing with Pop Idol. It meant that by the time the main knock out shows started viewers knew the final 10/12 contestants because of the five shows leading up to the finals. I've spent the first three or four weeks of all three series of X Factor getting my head round who the finalists are! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcevarch wrote:
    I liked the 'final 50' thing with Pop Idol. It meant that by the time the main knock out shows started viewers knew the final 10/12 contestants because of the five shows leading up to the finals. I've spent the first three or four weeks of all three series of X Factor getting my head round who the finalists are! :o

Aye, I liked that aspect of Pop Idol.

I also liked the wildcard show int he second series, where we got to give people a second chance. Sometimes the GBP do make mistakes. ;) Only occasionally of course. *cough* Steve Brookstein. :D

I think that the format of Pop Idol was much fairer on the contestants. There was very little politics involved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I prefer the fact that almost anyone can enter x factor. On shows like Pop Idol we would never have got people like Ray or G4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bracie.x wrote:
    I prefer the fact that almost anyone can enter x factor. On shows like Pop Idol we would never have got people like Ray or G4.

Wasn't the Pop Idol minimum age limit also 16?

If so, we would have heard Raymondo, unfortunately.
  • spoonboyspoonboy Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcevarch wrote:
    I've spent the first three or four weeks of all three series of X Factor getting my head round who the finalists are! :o

That's what I did last series, but this series I (rather sadly) studied the boot camp and audition episodes to work out who everyone was in advance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    NikittaFan wrote:
    Wasn't the Pop Idol minimum age limit also 16?

If so, we would have heard Raymondo, unfortunately.

what I mean is Pop Idol would never have put people like Ray through. Which is why I think it gets boring as the acts in Pop Idol aren't as entertaining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bracie.x wrote:
    what I mean is Pop Idol would never have put people like Ray through. Which is why I think it gets boring as the acts in Pop Idol aren't as entertaining.

Hmm, true. I guess there's more scope on The X Factor. But, then again, the judges do slate him because he can only do swing.

Either way, he's a loser.
  • OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Love X Factor because everyone gets involved and they always seem to find talent. Like Ben, Leona, Brenda, Andy, Journey South, Shayne Ward, Tabby and G4. Year after year amazing talent is found whereas it was a bit dull on Pop Idol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Pop Idol, because the public votes decide who goes rather than the judges.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK Then!!! wrote:
    I Love X Factor because everyone gets involved and they always seem to find talent. Like Ben, Leona, Brenda, Andy, Journey South, Shayne Ward, Tabby and G4. Year after year amazing talent is found whereas it was a bit dull on Pop Idol.

So you think Will Young was dull then? :rolleyes:

Everyone knows Pop Idol was the better format, it had contestens who could actually sing for starters. With the exception of Leona I very much doubt any of this years X Factor finalists would have gotten past the final 50 stage, Ray would never have even passed the first audition!

Plus the age debate rages on, I say bring back Pop Idol and raise the age limit from 26 to 30 as they did with American Idol. Im sorry, Im not trying to sound ageist here, but if your much past they age of 30 your not likely to launch a succesful career, unless your prepared to lie and shave a few years off. Its the way it is in the music industry, sadly these days they think your past it when your 21 half the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I preferred the Pop Idol format by a mile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the X Factor format, because there is more variation in the people that enter. However, I preferred the way X Factor was in the previous two years, without the restriction of the themes.

I honestly believe that if it wasn't for the themes this year, it would have been a better show, and we may not have lost very talented singers so early on.
  • TruckyTrucky Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone knows Pop Idol was the better format

Do they? Last time I checked that was just your opinion.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth77 wrote:
    Which do you prefer? And why?
    Without doubt Pop Idol, for a combination of factors. The whole concept wasn't as tired as it seems now, and they had more respect for the acts. I really rated Pete Waterman, who had a great sense of humour and wasn't afraid to stand up to Simon and complimented him perfectly. He was a good judge too and that was borne out by the much higher standard in general back then, especially in series two, with acts like Will, Gareth and Zoe who were all pretty exceptional.
  • TruckyTrucky Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Simon ask Pete to do this show with him and Sharon, but he declined? I know that Louis was never his first choice.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trucky wrote:
    Didn't Simon ask Pete to do this show with him and Sharon, but he declined? I know that Louis was never his first choice.

Oh I hadn't heard that, but it's possible. Pete and Simon go back a long way and are good friends. Sadly I think Pete lost his son a couple of years ago and took a step back from the limelight.
  • May BlossomMay Blossom Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete Waterman has made his views clear what he thinks about reality tv shows & said he wouldn't be involved in another one. He was perhaps the first person to speak out about the 'con' that they are. He was furious as we know about Michelle winning PI2 & walked off the set - good for him. Also - Pop Stars the Rivals he has said that it was fixed for the girl group to win & that the difference in song each group were given was clear evidence of this.

MB
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop Idol.

I like it as a whole, the set and the general feel to it! Hopefully it will come back. For me X Factor has never touched Pop Idol and it has now became stale and a bit of a joke.
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always prefferred pop idol and feel it introduced us to a great artist in Will Young. I also feel acts are damaged by the constant in-fighting among the judges. Even when an act preforms well they will find themselves being critisized simply for not being in a particular judges category.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Bring back Pop Idol!!!! It was far superior to XF anyday!
  • biddenden_suebiddenden_sue Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I think anything that goes on to long and too frequently becomes stale. Look at Big Brother!

The idea of alternating between Pop Idol and X-Factor each year is good. But also another run of Pop Stars would be good. All these shows have good points and bad points.

I love the fact that such a variety of acts can compete in X-Factor, and I love the way that the acts have to work together without all those internal politics on Pop Idol.

Each show has produced stars. And each show has produced one hit wonders or flops.

I really liked Pete Waterman as a judge, but I can understand why he walked away from it all. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop Idol. Without the ridiculous back and forth between the judges. It's less about them and more about the contestants which is how it should be.

Also when it comes to the final two it's more about being objective and keeping the talent over having to support their own act whether better or not, tactical voting...etc.