'Outrage' over fancy dress!

Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509339/Edinburgh-University-Law-Society-students-black-drinking-event.html

Some students have turned up to a party dressed as Somali pirates, complete with black faces. Cue the spittle-flecked outrage.

Looks like the 'Oh my God, I'm offended!' brigade are attempting to stir up some outrage again. Perhaps they'd like to tell us how you pretend to be a Somali pirate without blacking up? Without the face make-up, the impression wouldn't be very accurate, would it? Perhaps these oh-so-offended individuals should save their outrage for the real Somali pirates who raid trading ships and kidnap, kill and torture innocent workers.

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509339/Edinburgh-University-Law-Society-students-black-drinking-event.html

Some students have turned up to a party dressed as Somali pirates, complete with black faces. Cue the spittle-flecked outrage.

Looks like the 'Oh my God, I'm offended!' brigade are attempting to stir up some outrage again. Perhaps they'd like to tell us how you pretend to be a Somali pirate without blacking up? Without the face make-up, the impression wouldn't be very accurate, would it? Perhaps these oh-so-offended individuals should save their outrage for the real Somali pirates who raid trading ships and kidnap, kill and torture innocent workers.

I wonder if the "Oh my God, I'm offended brigade" are as tiresome, dull and predictable as the "I can't wait to start a thread about imaginary brigades on DS" brigade. I also wonder if the latter is really as outraged as they like to pretend or if they just enjoy getting worked into a lather about Daily Mail "PC GAWN MAD" stories.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lost64 wrote: »

Please take this in the kind of humorous way that is intended.
    Write out 100 times, Could HAVE, not could of.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I wonder if the "Oh my God, I'm offended brigade" are as tiresome, dull and predictable as the "I can't wait to start a thread about imaginary brigades on DS" brigade. I also wonder if the latter is really as outraged as they like to pretend or if they just enjoy getting worked into a lather about Daily Mail "PC GAWN MAD" stories.

Really? A few quotes from the 'outraged brigade':

'One student said: 'This is an image of black and ethnic minority oppression becoming manifested in students' costumes.'

'Racism should be opposed on every level and Edinburgh University and we as a student body should do all within our power to make sure these attitudes are called out.'
    Nadia Mehdi, vice president of Societies and Activities at EUSA, said: 'I’m really shocked to see that in this day and age these students weren't aware of or chose to ignore the offence they would cause by painting their faces black.'

What's racist about it? Surely if you are impersonating a black pirate, you apply the requisite make-up! They aren't suggesting that all black people or all Somalis are pirates are they? These 'outraged' race warriors are making themselves a laughing stock, and I fear this story tells us more about them than the students.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, you and your "could HAVE" brigade, being so FAUX OUTRAGED about a perennial misspelling! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? A few quotes from the 'outraged brigade':

One student said: 'This is an image of black and ethnic minority oppression becoming manifested in students' costumes.

'Racism should be opposed on every level and Edinburgh University and we as a student body should do all within our power to make sure these attitudes are called out.'
    Nadia Mehdi, vice president of Societies and Activities at EUSA, said: 'I’m really shocked to see that in this day and age these students weren't aware of or chose to ignore the offence they would cause by painting their faces black.'

What's racist about it? Surely if you are impersonating a black pirate, you apply the requisite make-up! They aren't suggesting that all black people or all Somalis are pirates are they? These 'outraged' race warriors are making themselves a laughing stock, and I fear this story tells us more about them than the students.

And for balance, here's a few quotes from the DS outraged BRIGADE (since everyone is obviously organised into a BRIGADE):

These 'outraged' race warriors are making themselves a laughing stock, and I fear this story tells us more about them than the students

Such spittle-flecked outrage over a story that (as far as I know) doesn't involve you. Seems like an odd thing to get all worked up about unless you're connected with the students/university. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member

:o

. Dont worry I do the same with peoples spelling although i am a little embarressed but, thank you for correcting me.

...I'm about to start my lines :cry:
  • Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    And for balance, here's a few quotes from the DS outraged BRIGADE (since everyone is obviously organised into a BRIGADE):

Such spittle-flecked outrage over a story that (as far as I know) doesn't involve you. Seems like an odd thing to get all worked up about unless you're connected with the students/university. :confused:

I suspect the OP knows full well why blackface is offensive. Nothing more than another troll thread to add to his ever-growing list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What on Earth are you talking about? Here we have a group of students who are doing a comedy impression of a group of criminals. That's all it is, but the usual brigade of loony students, the diversity and inclusivity campaigners etc are determined to see racism in everything. It's those brigades who are offensive, not the party-goers.

Erica - what ever-growing list? Examples please. And please explain what is racist about dressing up as a group of (real) pirates who happen to be black?
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I woulodn't be to excercised about the self-riteous piety from the student body. They're very much still at the theory stage of life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on Earth are you talking about? Here we have a group of students who are doing a comedy impression of a group of criminals. That's all it is, but the usual brigade of loony students, the diversity and inclusivity campaigners etc are determined to see racism in everything. It's those brigades who are offensive, not the party-goers.

And in order to portray criminals they felt the need to paint their faces black. Looks like you just demonstrated to yourself why this was offensive.

Well done.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Downey Jr. is awesome in Tropic Thunder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I suspect the OP knows full well why blackface is offensive. Nothing more than another troll thread to add to his ever-growing list.

But whats the difference between those students and Matt Lucas playing the Coffee Shop Assistant or Walliams playing Omar in Come Fly With Me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the usual BRIGADE of FAUX OUTRAGED DSers clearly couldn't wait to vent their anger at imaginary brigades. :D Do you really not see the irony in your desperation to have a stereotypical, outraged rant about the OUTRAGED BRIGADE?

Where do these brigades meet, by the way? I mean, if they're a brigade, they must have some form of organisation to conduct their offensives, yes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And in order to portray criminals they felt the need to paint their faces black. Looks like you just demonstrated to yourself why this was offensive.

Well done.

They were portraying Somali pirates. They are black, you know. If they were pretending to be Chinese pirates, yellow would have done. For white pirates, they would have left their skin alone. What's so wrong with using black makeup when playing a black person? Looks like you have demonstrated why the outraged brigades are so laughable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were portraying Somali pirates. They are black, you know. Looks like you have demonstrated why the outraged brigades are so laughable.

Correct, they chose to single out a race.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were portraying Somali pirates. They are black, you know. If they were pretending to be Chinese pirates, yellow would have done. For white pirates, they would have left their skin alone. What's so wrong with using black makeup when playing a black person? Looks like you have demonstrated why the outraged brigades are so laughable.

There's more than one now? God save us from the plethora of brigades!

How does one join up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct, they chose to single out a race.

Oh pirates come in carefully balanced multi-racial groups? They were playing Somali pirates. If they were playing white pirates, would that have been wrong? Read my post above. Dear God.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they'd played Chinese Whispers some idiot would be crying 'racism' - and the Daily Mail would be reporting it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh pirates come in multi-racial groups? They were playing Somali pirate. Read my post above. Dear God.

So what? What's the difference between a Somali pirate and any other pirate other than skin colour?

They painted their faces black because they knew it would be offensive.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well done.

Change the word 'ciminals' to 'Somali pirates' and then do you see why your outrage is so misguided.

How else do you dress up as black Somali pirates?
  • Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a group of black students dressed up without any make-up who would have demanded there should be a white guy in the group? No-one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change the word 'ciminals' to 'Somali pirates' and then do you see why your outrage is so misguided?

Absolutely not. You don't have to paint your face black to dress up as a pirate - Somali or otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How else do you dress up as black Somali pirates?

If donning blackface - an oppressive symbol with centuries of history - is the only way to dress up as a 'black Somali pirate' then don't dress up as one.

Clearly to these students the need to make sure everyone knew without a shadow of a doubt that they were portraying black Somalis exceeded their desire to avoid hurting people with an expression of racism. They have the freedom to make that choice, and everyone else has the freedom to condemn them for it.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They painted their faces black because they knew it would be offensive.

What drivel! Anyone with an ounce of common-sense can see that they painted their faces black for no other reason than they were going to a fancy dress party as Somali pirates, and Somali pirates happen to be black guys.

But hey, don't you let common-sense get in your way of trolling yet another thread.