Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it a big SOR when anyone in a soap has a funeral and there's barely more than 20 people in attendance. For someone as young as Tina especially as she was murdered it's weird to see such a small number of people there.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tina "FUNNY"?!?!?!?!?

When was that, then ?

Funny (peculiar) maybe.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As predicted funeral starts from street, Rita takes centre stage, Mrs Mac says nowt, drinks and butties afterward at the Rovers.

Steph was not best mates with Tina. Tina was a right misery with her. They did talk about Tina's affair but that was only in the last few weeks.

Apparently Tina doesn't have any family apart from Mrs Mac. Grannies, grandads, aunts, uncles, aunts, cousins - nope. And no friends either apart from those on the street. But she did like Marmite, so she can't be that bad!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well where to start.........

Carla going to the funeral of Tina, the babysiter who had an affair with her husband and thus caused her to loose her baby.

Only mourners there were street residents. Did Tina have absolutely no other relatives apart from her mother? Where were all her friends. Unfortunately I have been to funerals of 2 young girls around Tina's age and there was not even standing room in the church. Not onlookers - genuine friends. Where were her school friends, friends from London and anyone she knew before she entered the bubble that is "The Street".?

The fight - suprised they stopped short at falling in the grave - another soap cliche.

Michelle - even had a role to play in the episode when she was not on screen.

Leanne - would she really go to A&E in Liverpool for her mother and leave her 11? year old son to face the funeral without her.

Much has been made of David's relationship with Tina and they even rememnber ed that Gail was her stepmother but they seem to have forgotten that Nick was her stepbrother too as he didnt seem that bothered and was initially going to go to work.

Oh, and I cringed at the point where Mrs Mac was asking Dierdrie to leave the pub. Not a tear in sight at her daughters funeral or wake. Acting was awful.

How many bedrooms has Steph's flat got. Apparently Tina's book is still beside the bed, just as she left it - ( a big SOR that Tina was reading a book!). So where are Katie & Joseph sleeping?
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Can someone explain why, all of a sudden, Garreh & Izzeh aren't getting on?

I know that
    Garreh is going to have a fling with Kal's daughter (how old can she be??! :o ) and this is the lead up to it

but still, it's all very clumsy, as per.

Also, are we now going to be treated to Max having a personality change?

Finally, Steph and Tina barely knew each other when they were thrown together in the flat, just so they could both afford the rent. Tina was a right stroppy cow towards Steph, so why Steph is so upset is beyond me.

I thought tonight's episode was one long, cliched vom-fest.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole time I was watching tonight's episode I kept thinking I can't wait to read the comments in this topic. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole time I was watching tonight's episode I kept thinking I can't wait to read the comments in this topic. :D

Me too. :D:p
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That episode was the biggest load of shite I've ever seen. Strong contender for Worst Episode Ever. A funeral of a supposedly much loved character (no, she wasn't) and there was no pathos or genuine emotion, just misery, anger and badly choreographed punch ups.

Think back to Vera Duckworth's funeral. I cried buckets at that. Corrie really has lost its way.
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janice is in Liverpool? So thirty miles away yet never ever comes to visit her daughter and grandson? :D
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    Janice is in Liverpool? So thirty miles away yet never ever comes to visit her daughter and grandson? :D

Well Martin has lived there nine-years and still hasn't bothered to visit David (although I don't blame him:p:D).
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, are we now going to be treated to Max having a personality change?

Finally, Steph and Tina barely knew each other when they were thrown together in the flat, just so they could both afford the rent. Tina was a right stroppy cow towards Steph, so why Steph is so upset is beyond me.

Why is Max so hyperactive all of a sudden? What was up with him when they were in the cafe and Kylie was asking for tips on how to get rid of glue off the carpet and Max was deliberatly winding up Mary by moving the chess pieces.

Also I agree about Steph. She barely knew Tina. Steph is meant to be Katie's best mate as that is how she was first brought in to the show but all Tina did was whinge to her about how hard done by she was as the mistress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all the reasons already said it was a bl@@dy joke.

Mrs Mac having a go at Deirdre? *rolleyes*
    Balloons from the balcony? *rolleyes*
    Katie was jealous of Tina's looks? *rolleyes*
    Roy and Mary buy planters and shrubs/flowers? *rolleyes*
    Kylie couldn't phone Roy but has to go round and hammer on the door and take the kids with her? *rolleyes*
    Kylie is worried Gail will go mad about the carpet when it's not even Gail's house? *rolleyes*
    Michelle texts her orders to Liz like she is the boss? *rolleyes*
    Steve MacDonald gets involved with Peter at the funeral when he promised Michelle he wouldn't get involved with Peter again? *rolleyes*
    Peter Barlow is rat-@rsed after a few sips from half a bottle of voddie? *rolleyes*
    All the folk Tina helped? *rolleyes*

After that episode, the Corrie viewers must be more swivelly eyed than Michelle Swivelly-Eyes Connor!!!
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Martin has lived there nine-years and still hasn't bothered to visit David (although I don't blame him:p:D).

Good point. I was actually just thinking that Curly could be the motivation for Janice's lack of interest. Sensible woman. :D
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Kylie go running to Roy's about the glue?
    Very strange indeed.
    Talking of Roy, I so want him and Mary to get together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    amysmum wrote: »
    Me too. :D:p
    me as well :D:D
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    ...and what a pathetic display of sandwiches and crisps in the Rovers!! Not enough to feed ten people!!
    We used to do a full three-tables-full of food at our club (even if only for 20!) including chicken nuggets( a bit common I know - but popular!) , a vast array of sandwiches, and chicken legs, pork pies, crisps - with dips, and quiche and nuts etc. (Plenty left in the back for topping-up too!). I felt most distraught at seeing Liz's offerings!

Maybe I'm being too pedantic!:):)
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,855
    Forum Member
    I don't think Steph being very upset about Tina is a SOR. They hadn't known each other long but Steph was Tina's confidante and they were close. The shock of Tina suddenly dying so young would be very upsetting, and Steph seems quite sentimental, so I don't think her tears were over the top.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,855
    Forum Member
    ...and what a pathetic display of sandwiches and crisps in the Rovers!! Not enough to feed ten people!!
    We used to do a full three-tables-full of food at our club (even if only for 20!) including chicken nuggets( a bit common I know - but popular!) , a vast array of sandwiches, and chicken legs, pork pies, crisps - with dips, and quiche and nuts etc. (Plenty left in the back for topping-up too!). I felt most distraught at seeing Liz's offerings!

Maybe I'm being too pedantic!:):)

And Liz seemed so proud of the spread she'd laid on :D
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommy should have been at the funeral.

amysmum wrote: »
    Well where to start.........

Carla going to the funeral of Tina, the babysiter who had an affair with her husband and thus caused her to loose her baby.

Only mourners there were street residents. Did Tina have absolutely no other relatives apart from her mother? Where were all her friends. Unfortunately I have been to funerals of 2 young girls around Tina's age and there was not even standing room in the church. Not onlookers - genuine friends. Where were her school friends, friends from London and anyone she knew before she entered the bubble that is "The Street".?

The fight - suprised they stopped short at falling in the grave - another soap cliche.

Michelle - even had a role to play in the episode when she was not on screen.

Leanne - would she really go to A&E in Liverpool for her mother and leave her 11? year old son to face the funeral without her.

Much has been made of David's relationship with Tina and they even rememnber ed that Gail was her stepmother but they seem to have forgotten that Nick was her stepbrother too as he didnt seem that bothered and was initially going to go to work.

Oh, and I cringed at the point where Mrs Mac was asking Dierdrie to leave the pub. Not a tear in sight at her daughters funeral or wake. Acting was awful.

How many bedrooms has Steph's flat got. Apparently Tina's book is still beside the bed, just as she left it - ( a big SOR that Tina was reading a book!). So where are Katie & Joseph sleeping?

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/coronation-street/characters/david-platt
    2008 Starts relationship with Tina McIntyre. She aborts their baby. Argues with Gail about this and pushes her down stairs. Dumped by Tina, he goes on rampage, assaulting police officer. Sent to a Young Offenders' Institution. Released in June. Reunites with Tina. Starts work for her father, Joe. Ignites feud with Windass family when they refuse to pay for fitted kitchen.

2009 Splits up with Tina Sets up Gary Windass on burglary of Audrey's house. Gary's caught but grandfather Ted Page has heart attack. His scheming is exposed and he's shunned by family. Reacts violently when he realises Jason is sleeping with Tina. Gary has him beaten up.

2010 Determined to have Tina after discovering best mate Graeme Proctor is dating her, he nearly rapes her. Tries to run over Graeme but escapes jail after being diagnosed with epilepsy, claiming he blacked out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Platt_(Coronation_Street)
    In January 2008, David begins sleeping with Tina McIntyre (Michelle Keegan). Tina soon discovers she is pregnant and Gail pays for a private abortion and insists David is not told. During an argument with Gail when David finds out, he pushes her down the stairs and persuades Tina to give him an alibi, but she dumps him. So David smashs various vehicles and windows on the Street with a metal pole, attacking Ken Barlow (William Roache) and elbowing a policewoman. On 18 April 2008, he is sentenced to four months in a Young Offenders Institution after pleading guilty to his crimes. He is released in June, after serving less than two months and David's cellmate, Graeme Proctor (Craig Gazey) comes to the Street in November to stay with David. Audrey refuses to have him back at Audrey's Salon, but he finds employment in Peter and Paul's salon,using a fake reference. David and Tina reconcile but break up again when he hacks into her email account and sees that she gets and sends emails to her ex-boyfriend. As revenge, Tina gets David fired from his new job and he dates Amber Kalirai (Nikki Patel) in an attempt to make her jealous, but he and Tina reconcile again in August 2008.

David begins working with Tina's builder dad, Joe (Reece Dinsdale), in October. The following month, David becomes involved in a feud with dodgy family, the Windasses. After they refuse to pay for the new kitchen David and Joe had fitted, David threatens husband and wife Eddie (Steve Huison) and Anna (Debbie Rush) with a crowbar to make them pay Joe. A horrified Graeme later tells David that they are not a family to be messed with and Len (Conor Ryan) and Gary Windass steal Joe's work tools so David, Tina and Graeme destroy the kitchen so the Windasses remove the kitchen from No.8 Coronation Street. When Gail and Anna sort out their differences and they call a truce at the Rovers Return but David refuses to shake hands with Gary and storms off with Tina.

In April 2009, David returns from a visit to Martin and his partner, Robyn (Claire Calbraith). He admits to Joe and Gail that he knows he was a pain but wants another chance after seeing his dad with his new family and wants to end the feud with the Windasses. He then tells Graeme that he told them what they wanted to hear and when he sees Tina and Gary talking in the pub, he assumes they are together. On Easter Sunday, he hides Joe's painkillers and 'finds' them in Gail's dressing gown. He buys everyone an Easter egg including Tina, which includes details of a flat that they could move into together but she refuses, leaving David upset and worried that Gary might make a move on Tina.
    When David finds out about Tina's new relationship with Jason Grimshaw, he spirals out of control and throws items from the builder's yard at Jason. Meanwhile, following his back injury it becomes increasingly clear to everyone, David included, that Joe, who is now in a relationship with Gail, is becoming addicted to prescription drugs. By June 2009, Joe is becoming increasingly dependent and trashes the kitchen when he can't find the medication. In July 2009, Graeme spots Joe's painkillers and Joe is interested to hear how there was a black market for such drugs when Graeme was in the Young Offenders' Institute. Later, a desperate Joe finds Graeme and asks if he can obtain some painkillers until his back is better. Graeme agrees to speak to his contact and, as promised, gets Joe the painkillers, but tells him it is a one-off favour. David later finds out about Joe's addiction and persuades Graeme to stop Joe's supply. David then tells Joe he will supply him drugs in exchange for a 'favour'. Much later on, David reveals this to be a deviously underhand attempt to force Joe to split up Jason and Tina. Joe doesn't want to, but David tells him he will tell Gail about the drugs if he fails to do so.

After Joe is killed in a boat accident in the Lake District with new wife Gail in February 2010, David and Gail decide to cover up the death by telling Tina that Joe got a job near the lakes. David even sends Tina flowers on her birthday 'from her dad' just to calm her down. When David confesses to Tina about Joe's accident, Tina is left shocked. Tina later blames Gail for Joe's death by banning her from Joe's funeral and by then telling the police that Gail did it. After the police had already suspected Gail they arrest her during Joe's wake in the Rovers. David, Nick (Ben Price) and Audrey are shocked while Tina shows no guilt.

David and Nick pay a cleaner £4,000 to pretend to be a witness to Joe's accident. She is paid £2,000 to tell the police that Gail was pushed off the boat by Joe before Joe sailed off and is told that she will be paid £2,000 to say that in court. However, she does not turn up and David takes to the witness box instead. It emerges in the court that David sent the flowers and messages to Tina, not Gail as the court had thought. David returns to court soon after to hear the jury's verdict, and is relieved when the jury find Gail 'not guilty'.

In June 2010, David is furious when best friend Graeme tells him that he is now dating Tina, for whom David still has feelings. He conspires to come between the couple by telling Graeme that Tina is on the rebound from Jason Grimshaw, but the tactic fails as Graeme and Tina continue seeing one another. David later assaults Tina in the flat she shares with Graeme. She tells Graeme, who confronts David. Later, while Graeme is walking home from work, he crosses the street to speak to Tina, only to be hit by Audrey's car, driven by David. After the accident David says he has no recollection of what happened: not a single person believes him, with Ashley attacking him verbally, Tina repeatedly calling him an attempted murderer and even Gail having a "flicker of doubt".
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We also had the usual lack of empathy with the person street residents "think" is the culprit, in the form of David having a go in the pub when Dierdre and Tracy walked in, saying Peter should be locked up. Have they all got terrible memories (any memories?) when they conveniently forgot how often the wrong person gets pilloried before the real perpetrator is unmasked?

What made this more illuminating is that, gathered around we had Gail (wrongly accused/imprisoned), Deirdre (wrongly accused/imprisoned), Tyrone (wrongly accused/imprisoned), Fiz (sort of wrongly accused/imprisoned), not to mentioned former jailbirds (or Young Offender birds) Tracy and David himself!

Also, had to chuckle at Rob saying he didn't want Carla to be married to a murderer, conveniently forgetting that he is the actual murderer and is himself engaged to a murderer. He's all heart! :D
  • stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max was acting annoying because children do that, (don't get out much these scriptwriters ) Max, like simon, looked a lot older than he's meant to be, he's meant to be seven when he looks about nine. Simon is eleven yet he looks, and sounds like he's thirteen (his voice is breaking)
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Tonight's episode was like a poor rehash of previous funerals -- someone making a scene, someone with an rambling and forced speech, a fight breaking out between two characters and the police just happening to be there.

Scandalous that Tommy was not even invited.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode was like a poor rehash of previous funerals -- someone making a scene, someone with an rambling and forced speech, a fight breaking out between two characters and the police just happening to be there.

Scandalous that Tommy was not even invited.

And then back to the Rovers for a butty!
  • MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Tommy would surely have known about it as the brutal murder of a young girl would be all over the papers. And he would not have had to wait to be invited, he could have just turned up. Would have been more realistic to have brought him back just for the episode, along with Graeme and Xin.
    There were some extras in the background...couldn't one or two of them have been used as family members alongside Tina's mum. A complete SOR that she would have been there all on her own!
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    stevepjk wrote: »
    Max was acting annoying because children do that, (don't get out much these scriptwriters ) Max, like simon, looked a lot older than he's meant to be, he's meant to be seven when he looks about nine. Simon is eleven yet he looks, and sounds like he's thirteen (his voice is breaking)

There's a storyline involving Max soon, think its related to that...rather than him just being 'annoying'
This discussion has been closed.