circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats a negative way to look at imo but oh well
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was the best candidate for the job, simple as that really.

Doesn't say much for the rest of the squad does it?
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    RotMojo wrote: »
    Meh, the thread was always going to descend into chaos. It is about Wayne Rooney after all.

Not everyone is bitter, but there is a very large proportion out there.

Put the word 'shrek' into Twitter search - top tweet "England's new captain is a £300k a week overrated fat Shrek who cheated on his pregnant wife and is an apparent role model to children'

We called the predictable phrases over in the Utd thread but this Tweeter managed to get them all in 140 characters!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    Put the word 'shrek' into Twitter search - top tweet "England's new captain is a £300k a week overrated fat Shrek who cheated on his pregnant wife and is an apparent role model to children'

We called the predictable phrases over in the Utd thread but this Tweeter managed to get them all in 140 characters!!

tweets and google yet the only person to mention shrek in this DS thread was you ironically
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    thats a negative way to look at imo but oh well

Yeah I know, but it is that way because of prior experience. As United fans, we have been attacked for so many things for so many years, that there is bit of a a natural defence mechanism in place as well :cry:
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    His accountant will be pleased anyway. I understand the endorsements for an England captain can be upwards of £2m a year.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    tweets and google yet the only person to mention shrek in this DS thread was you ironically

I don't know what your game is at the moment with the calling me 'woe is me' and 'playing the victim' but please put me on your ignore list and avoid any contact with me from hereon in.

The list is on the Utd thread of predictable phrases that come out when England get a new captain which was why I rpelid to Jim De Ville - he'd put his words on the list as well but if you'd have asked someone would have told you.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of uninspired choice I would expect from Roy.
    I don't see Rooney as a leader at all, more of a sulker.
    I would happily go in to battle with Gerrard, Terry, Cahill or Hart but can imagine Rooney inspiring anyone.
    Just my two penneth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I know, but it is that way because of prior experience. As United fans, we have been attacked for so many things for so many years, that there is bit of a a natural defence mechanism in place as well :cry:

oh im aware its a club thing, but the defence mechanisms lead to bringing up things that you dont want brought up in first place pal, its a viscious circle.

if it happens organically fair enough, but lets not give it a helping hand!
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How depressing that Rooney is seen as "an obvious choice" and "the right man".
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooney is the most experienced at the top level. I can understand the decision. However as long as Hodgson is in charge it won't matter who plays or who is captain. Expect boring ill thought out football for years.

Rooney himself is a conundrum. So much talent yet for me hasn't realised his true potential. He's had a good career medals wise but you wouldn't class him in the top players in the world bracket and I think he could have been at one stage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand this odd viewpoint that Rooney is not a "leader" or a "fighter". He might display sporadic signs of petulance, but to incinuate that he does not care is quite insulting, and inaccurate.

If he is a good enough captain for Louis Van Gaal, why not Hodgson? Or is LVG boring and unimaginative too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when rooney is on it he can be a real driving force on the pitch. can get crowd going and his teammates. when he bulldozes opposition players of ball etc thats when hes at his best

as for hodgeson i thoguht england played some good stuff running up to the world cup.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooney as captain for a broken Man Utd is a concern, for England it's pretty funny tbh.

Cahill and Hart are probably better choices, and this is from a United fan.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand this odd viewpoint that Rooney is not a "leader" or a "fighter". He might display sporadic signs of petulance, but to incinuate that he does not care is quite insulting, and inaccurate.

If he is a good enough captain for Louis Van Gaal, why not Hodgson? Or is LVG boring and unimaginative too?
    In all the years I have seen him not with standing his undeniable talent I can't remember a time that I've ever seen him be a leader of men on the pitch.
    I would see more as a head down player rather than a head up, calling his team on.
    I say again tho, this is only an opinion. I leave the "facts" to others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think one of his prostitutes is on celebrity big brother at the moment.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

And? What has that got to do with anything?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent

Who had "prostitutes" in the sweepstake? Was it Ninny?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    And? What has that got to do with anything?

Some might not think it appropriate that a man who goes behind his wife's back to use prostitutes (has been caught out more than once - and even once when she was pregnant), should be given such an important and ambassadorial role for the England football team.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    But people are bitter about it. It's only calling a spade a spade at the end of the day.

/thread.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the most recognisable englishman currently playing on a world football stage i suppose, so i imagine commercial considerations have also played a role in the decision.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    having fun whilst calling people bitter??????? come on even you cant excuse that.
    thats not a fact at all and all it does is destroy a thread in the process.

That was me and can you prove otherwise?
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Rooney as captain for a broken Man Utd is a concern, for England it's pretty funny tbh.

Cahill and Hart are probably better choices, and this is from a United fan.

Tell me that you are joking - if he carries on as he has been, Hart is not even a cert for the starting line up
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    Apart from maybe Hart there weren't exactly a long list of candidates.

Rooney is the one most likely to start each game (the issue about weather he should or not is a different matter!)
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some might not think it appropriate that a man who goes behind his wife's back to use prostitutes (has been caught out more than once - and even once when she was pregnant), should be given such an important and ambassadorial role for the England football team.

Maybe (but thats more to do with the nonsense role model stuff) but what has her being on a TV show got to do with anything?