Private registrations (Cars)

Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone know which forms I need to get from the Post Office - so that I can take my private plate off my car - so I can sell it and put the original number plate back onto my car?

I know I have to pay a retention fee (£80) so that I can sell the private plate..

I did look on the Direct.gov website without much luck....

help!!

:o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It tells you what to do on this link. I found it easier to go to the local DVLA office as they give you the paperwork back and the new tax disc.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_4022576
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did read that, but I'm not transferring the plate to another car. I'll pop into the Post Office on my way to work to get the forms - I was told it was 2 forms I needed.

But I wasn't sure which ones...... as it lists V750, V317, V5c and V10.... so I'll look at them in the Post office and see which two are the ones I need.

I thought that a FM on here may have experience of doing this and would know which two forms I needed to get.

Thank-you anyway...... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early Bird wrote: »
    I did read that, but I'm not transferring the plate to another car. I'll pop into the Post Office on my way to work to get the forms - I was told it was 2 forms I needed.

But I wasn't sure which ones...... as it lists V750, V317, V5c and V10.... so I'll look at them in the Post office and see which two are the ones I need.

I thought that a FM on here may have experience of doing this and would know which two forms I needed to get.

Thank-you anyway...... :)

I've done it 3 times but it has changed a lot since the last time I did it. Do you not have a local DVLA office?

The V317 here tell you what you need to do, it's a PDF file.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_069390.pdf
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early Bird wrote: »
    Anyone know which forms I need to get from the Post Office - so that I can take my private plate off my car - so I can sell it and put the original number plate back onto my car?

I know I have to pay a retention fee (£80) so that I can sell the private plate..

I did look on the Direct.gov website without much luck....

help!!

:o

As woodbrush says above, It's only one form you need - a V317, which needs to be completed and taken or sent to your local DVLA office along with the required documents and payment.

The retention fee is £15 per year, and you have to pay the £80 reassignment fee up-front so a new retention would cost £105 for one year.

As you're selling the plate, bear in mind also that it will cost an additional £25 to have your buyer's name put onto the retention certificate as the nominee if you don't put them down at the time of applying for the retention (either as grantee or nominee).

The DVLA do random vehicle identity checks on retention applications so you may have to take the vehicle to your local DVLA office for inspection. The last time I put a registration on retention I had to do this, and the first available appointment was three weeks later.