Shakespears Sister - The Duo behind "Stay"

Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any fans of Marcella Detroit and Siobhan Fahey here? I know Stay is a popular, iconic song (with an amazing video) but I don't see them spoken about much otherwise, just mentioned in passing when it comes to Stay.

I remember when Marcella was on Popstar To Opera Star and I was sorry she didn't win as I thought she was great. She has such an amazing voice, as does Siobhan. It's a shame they disbanded Shakespears Sister when they did as it seems like they might have had a falling out which led to the end of the duo.

I've been listening to Hormonally Yours a lot lately and it's such a haunting, fascinating album. As well as Stay, other songs from it I love include Hello (Turn Your Radio On), Goodbye Cruel World, I Don't Care, Black Sky, Catwoman, Let Me Entertain You and Moonchild. The whole album is a work of art though.

I also love songs like Heroine and You're History from the Sacred Heart album.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They had a new album out in October called "Cosmic Dancer".
    "Songs From The Red Room" came out in 2009.

They are still going strong!
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had a new album out in October called "Cosmic Dancer".
    "Songs From The Red Room" came out in 2009.

They are still going strong!

The newer stuff is Siobhan as a solo act just using the Shakespears Sister name, I believe...but still not to be sniffed at.

I wonder what Marcella's doing at the moment? She had a couple of solo albums after they split but has never been as high profile as she was when in SS, which is a shame as she has a beautiful voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wont believe it but these days she celebrated her 60 birthday.:eek:

She co-wrote also with Eric Clapton - Lay Down Sally:D

And was a backing vocalist for the Bob Seger Band :)

Here she is with Eric Clapton on Live Aid you recon instand her voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vce0CEKrE
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello (Turn Your Radio On) is one of my all time favourite songs.

I recall Stay during its 8 weeks at no 1 and it still gives me chills when I hear it. I don't think they get the credit they deserved
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to add that I listen to Hormonally Yours every single week.

A class album
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to add that I listen to Hormonally Yours every single week.

A class album

I don't listen to it every week but I do listen to it a lot and it's comforting to know someone else out there appreciates what a gorgeous work of art it is as much as I do.

Have you ever seen the 1950s B-Movie called Cat-Women of the Moon? The songs on Hormonally Yours were based around the themes in this movie. It's worth a watch if you like the album because you can really see where some of the songs came from.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I recall Stay during its 8 weeks at no 1 and it still gives me chills when I hear it. I don't think they get the credit they deserved

I feel the same! Also remember seeing them live when the album was out and was one of the best shows I've been to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I feel the same! Also remember seeing them live when the album was out and was one of the best shows I've been to.

You saw them live? I am so jealous you have no idea. I was only nine when Stay came out so I was far too young to go to concerts but they are one of the few acts who I would like to see reunite. I would be first in line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great act - they were absolutely chalk and cheese as artists, hence the split -(compare the post Hormonally Yours singles Fahey's I Can Drive vs Detroit's Believe as an example) but for a while they worked wonderfully as a dream team.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    Great act - they were absolutely chalk and cheese as artists, hence the split -(compare the post Hormonally Yours singles Fahey's I Can Drive vs Detroit's Believe as an example) but for a while they worked wonderfully as a dream team.

The musical differences between them blended so perfectly for Shakespears Sister. However, even watching early interviews with them there is a tension there. It seems like they might not have ever really got on that well, which is a shame.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i only liked 'goodbye cruel world' .
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starry Eyed reminds me of the "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!" Guy.

What a stan.

WE GET IT, YOU LIKE SHAKESPEARE'S SISTER!

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

great tune
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Starry Eyed reminds me of the "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!" Guy.

What a stan.

WE GET IT, YOU LIKE SHAKESPEARE'S SISTER!

;)

You're not as funny as you think you are. Try harder.

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, I can't believe Marcella is 60. She looks great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't listen to it every week but I do listen to it a lot and it's comforting to know someone else out there appreciates what a gorgeous work of art it is as much as I do.

Have you ever seen the 1950s B-Movie called Cat-Women of the Moon? The songs on Hormonally Yours were based around the themes in this movie. It's worth a watch if you like the album because you can really see where some of the songs came from.

Starry Eyed- thanks for your message. I had no idea about Cat-Women of The Moon. I will have to look into that.

Cheers!
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I loved Hello Hello [Turn your radio on]. Heard it when I was younger on a Power of Love album I had. Loved it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not as funny as you think you are. Try harder.

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, I can't believe Marcella is 60. She looks great.

Did you know that she co-wrote Lay Down Sally with Eric Clapton?
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Starry Eyed- thanks for your message. I had no idea about Cat-Women of The Moon. I will have to look into that.

Cheers!

I remember reading they wanted to make a film based on Cat-Women of the Moon - a musical homage - rather than a 2nd album, but London records sais no!!
    Hormonally Yours and Sacred Heart are both being remastered and reissued early next year. #3 and Songs From The Red Room are both superb albums. Cosmic Dancer is mostly leftover tracks from the SFTRR era
    Marcy is involved in the re-issues too - maybe they'll make a truce and record a new album together as SS. #ihopesowithallmyheart
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers!

It's a hilarious bad film even for it's era and budget, but well worth watching if only for the SS connection. I'm very fond of it because of it's link to Hormonally Yours even though it's terrible. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I remember reading they wanted to make a film based on Cat-Women of the Moon - a musical homage - rather than a 2nd album, but London records sais no!!
    Hormonally Yours and Sacred Heart are both being remastered and reissued early next year. #3 and Songs From The Red Room are both superb albums. Cosmic Dancer is mostly leftover tracks from the SFTRR era
    Marcy is involved in the re-issues too - maybe they'll make a truce and record a new album together as SS. #ihopesowithallmyheart

Fascinating about the film that never was...that could have been great.

Very pleased to hear about Marcy being involved with something SS related again. I would truly love it if they reunited even for a one off single or a little tour or just something. It would be amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always thought they were ahead of their time. First time I heard them on the radio I thought Siouxsie and the Banshees had made a record with Kate Bush!

Favourite song is Hello Turn Your Radio On.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    You wont believe it but these days she celebrated her 60 birthday.:eek:

She co-wrote also with Eric Clapton - Lay Down Sally:D

And was a backing vocalist for the Bob Seger Band :)

Here she is with Eric Clapton on Live Aid you recon instand her voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vce0CEKrE

I just learned some new things.
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would truly love it if they reunited even for a one off single or a little tour or just something. It would be amazing.

Touring local pubs is about as big a reunion as you can hope for I'd say.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Touring local pubs is about as big a reunion as you can hope for I'd say.

I doubt there would ever be a reunion as Siobhan and Marcella don't get along. But if they wanted to, they could perform at festivals with other artists. I believe Siobhan did perform under the Shakespeare's Sister name (but without Marcella) a couple of years ago at the Isle of Wight festival. They may not be massive stars, but a lot of people do remember them as seen by this thread and they were respected on an artistic level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I doubt there would ever be a reunion as Siobhan and Marcella don't get along. But if they wanted to, they could perform at festivals with other artists. I believe Siobhan did perform under the Shakespeare's Sister name (but without Marcella) a couple of years ago at the Isle of Wight festival. They may not be massive stars, but a lot of people do remember them as seen by this thread and they were respected on an artistic level.

This.

Artistic credibility has always meant more to me than sales, which is something certain types of fans seem to have latched onto as a means to willy-wave. :D