Adults using baby-speak and baby voices

Comments

• darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Marylin Monroe version of 'Santa Baby', sung in a babylike drawl. is nauseating (and not a liitle pervy) IMHO...:eek:
  • dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my colleagues talks to clients in a squeaky little girl's voice, God knows why, accompanied with squeals and high pitched giggles. When she's off the phone, she reverts to her normal voice. I sometimes wonder if she's even aware she does it.
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dorahall wrote: »
    One of my colleagues talks to clients in a squeaky little girl's voice, God knows why, accompanied with squeals and high pitched giggles. When she's off the phone, she reverts to her normal voice. I sometimes wonder if she's even aware she does it.

Why don’t you record her then you can have the thrill of embarrassing her with it at some public event.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Why don’t you record her then you can have the thrill of embarrassing her with it at some public event.
    If your phone has a camera you can even put it on Youey-Tube for the crowdy-wowds to laughy-waugh about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    If your phone has a camera you can even put it on Youey-Tube for the crowdy-wowds to laughy-waugh about.

I am actually tempted to do this.:D
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Surely leccy and deccy are just quicker than typing electricity and decorations, not baby speak. How many babies are told about leccy ? none I would suggest.

Yes that's is just slang talk nothing to do with babytalk

I never talked baby talk to any of my kids but do say lecky and various other things along the same line.
  • MordirithMordirith Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm lttle an the adults are sweet an kind on my WoW server

FOR THE HORDE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am actually tempted to do this.:D

Don’t do it anonymously. You want to take full credit for being far more superior to her.
  • MordirithMordirith Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im really little and dont understand?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a company on the internet selling small bottles to decant toiletries in for hand luggage, called Ickle Bockles.

https://www.icklebockles.co.uk/

I wanted some, but I went to Boots instead, I couldn't bring myself to order from them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t do it anonymously. You want to take full credit for being far more superior to her.
    Oh I'm not superior to her, she is far more efficient than me. It's just the baby talk, it is irritating and I don't know why she does it. She's 46, not 6.:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I'm not superior to her, she is far more efficient than me. It's just the baby talk, it is irritating and I don't know why she does it. She's 46, not 6.:D:D

I don’t know what field you work in but it is possible that “baby talk” could be used to be reassuring for clients who may be worried about procedures, possibly medical, they may be facing. It could be used by someone in an authoritative position to be non-threatening and to gain trust. In a sales position situation “baby talk” can be persuasive and effective.

Whatever the reason, your irritation by such an affectation is your problem, not hers.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's is this nom nom thing (is it something to do with food, like saying yum yum?) and where does it come from?

That leccy deccy talk I associate with Liverpool and the Brookside programme (I nearly wrote prog on the telly). They also used to talk about the ozzy (hospital) and this avvy (afternoon).

I've noticed how some of those Essex people from the telly - such as Amy (I forget her surname) and Rylan (have forgotten his too) - talk in a very babyish voice. Some of them also have a special lingo, like reem, whatever that is.
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of mums of young kids revert to baby talk even when kids are not around - cant stand it.

There's an ad on at the moment for sex and the city on the comedy channel where carrie is getting her dream man,,,,I'd never seen the show as not interested in it but this woman carrie has such a childish baby voice it is utterly cringeworthy.

Perhaps women think this makes them more attractive to men?

Men - does it? Really?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    What's is this nom nom thing (is it something to do with food, like saying yum yum?) and where does it come from?

That leccy deccy talk I associate with Liverpool and the Brookside programme (I nearly wrote prog on the telly). They also used to talk about the ozzy (hospital) and this avvy (afternoon).

I've noticed how some of those Essex people from the telly - such as Amy (I forget her surname) and Rylan (have forgotten his too) - talk in a very babyish voice. Some of them also have a special lingo, like reem, whatever that is.

The use of a shared vocabulary is an instant way of marking out a group you may wish to join… or avoid. Why the media want to promote and export this, and the associated level of intellect, as typical of the English baffles me, but the Scots don’t have a problem with it. :D
    A lot of mums of young kids revert to baby talk even when kids are not around - cant stand it.

There's an ad on at the moment for sex and the city on the comedy channel where carrie is getting her dream man,,,,I'd never seen the show as not interested in it but this woman carrie has such a childish baby voice it is utterly cringeworthy.

Men - does it? Really?

I think the aim is to appear submissive rather than attractive – and I believe some men would find it appealing.
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The use of a shared vocabulary is an instant way of marking out a group you may wish to join… or avoid. Why the media want to promote and export this, and the associated level of intellect, as typical of the English baffles me, but the Scots don’t have a problem with it. :D

I think the aim is to appear submissive rather than attractive – and I believe some men would find it appealing.

Crikey! Does anyone here find this baby talk appealing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crikey! Does anyone here find this baby talk appealing?

Dominatrices are usually happy to own up but I’m not sure if that applies to their male equivalents.

Now what would the be called… I can think of several suitable terms.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because criticising others gives some people a sense of superiority. :rolleyes:

Or because it really is stupid and makes people who do it come across as being under developed?
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dominatrices are usually happy to own up but I’m not sure if that applies to their male equivalents.

Now what would the be called… I can think of several suitable terms.

They get their own Channel 4 documentary.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They get their own Channel 4 documentary.

I saw that, 13 stone babies. I felt ill afterwards:(
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ex has friends into that. :eek:
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it "Smack the Pony " that had a running joke about a rock hard female DCI (imagine Jack Regan in a wig and lipstick) who would start talking like a little girl every time a man came in the room?:D
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member

Men - does it? Really?

God no!
    I find it one of the most irritating things about young women,
    (it is rarely middle aged or older)
    Second only behind that stupid squealing/screaming/jumping up and down thing that they do when ever they get a bit of good news.:mad:
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always start simpering and saying stuff like "pwetty pweaseee" in a really high pitched voice when I need a favour.
    Always works too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly baby talk, but I tend to despise people who use ickle in place of little, voddy for vodka, lappy for laptop and that Godawful online obsession with calling one's boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife by Mr/Mrs+forum name.