soap cliches that really get on your nerves.

hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"we'l/ your be fine, (which ultimately means you are doomed)
the evl grin (when someone does something awful they grin, I think Janines done it about 5000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times since she came into EE)
the worried look, (when somones done something stupid that tey don't want anyone to know about, soon as no ones looking at them they give a worried look)
being interrupted (god this one annoys as soon as somones about to tell someone something, at that moment they always get interrupted by someone else)

anymore???

Comments

• bass55bass55 Posts: 18,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The music mysteriously goes off when there's a row in the pub
  • MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    'I did it for us' Dr B to Mercedes. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The totally incompetent, clueless, stupid, brain dead police who always arrest the innocent person. Yes ED I am talking about you. You really took the piss this week with the Adam Barton nonsense :rolleyes: :mad:
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "come through to the back" Stella CS:rolleyes:
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    How the police held Browning so Mercedes could shout verbal abuse at him. I'm pretty sure in real life they'd just drag him off.

How quickly Mercedes was resuscitated was so laughable. .
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person who is always loitering about in precisely the right place at precisely the right moment to pick up some incriminating evidence/ dark secret from a couple of prats who don't even notice this normally big mouthed gossip standing behind/ beside/ in front of them. This is typical, and as predictable as Stella wearing a beige outfit to a funeral:)
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    The whole trying to tell somebody some earth-shatteringly important news shtick that all the soaps must have used a billion times and then some - where the recipient of said news inevitably starts babbling over the news-giver with some banal diatribe (usually something that makes whatever the person is trying to tell them 1000x worse) despite the fact that that the person trying to tell them something is clearly distressed and anybody in that situation would have picked up on this and let them speak before going off on a tangent. Winds me right up. It's especially annoying when the babbler then rushes off, leaving the news-giver behind to huff anxiously into the camera.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about the police driving by just as Carl and Max leave the Vic, of course Max has to hit him as it drives past about a metre away :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about the police driving by just as Carl and Max leave the Vic, of course Max has to hit him as it drives past about a metre away :)

Serves Max right for trying to kill him.

I've no reason whatsoever to disbelieve Carl, he strikes me as an honest chap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way police always materialise on the spot right on cue to witness a punch up or someone who's up to something is really worrying. It's as though they have eyes everywhere and a transporter device to spirit them to the scene. It's as though there telling us that there is no escape from the constant surveillance. Maybe the writers are all government agents? What a ridiculous notion:cool:
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    felixrex wrote: »
    The whole trying to tell somebody some earth-shatteringly important news shtick that all the soaps must have used a billion times and then some - where the recipient of said news inevitably starts babbling over the news-giver with some banal diatribe (usually something that makes whatever the person is trying to tell them 1000x worse) despite the fact that that the person trying to tell them something is clearly distressed and anybody in that situation would have picked up on this and let them speak before going off on a tangent. Winds me right up. It's especially annoying when the babbler then rushes off, leaving the news-giver behind to huff anxiously into the camera.

Seconded
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    The way soap police seem to have no understanding of the need for confidentiality and start asking questions to a suspect in the pub or in front of other people.
  • SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Characters get mentioned just days before they are set to make their return.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    The way soap police seem to have no understanding of the need for confidentiality and start asking questions to a suspect in the pub or in front of other people.

That one is actually pretty realistic mo, the pub's the only place they know they're guaranteed to find me.

Although they won't be riling me when I've a pool cue in me hand again, that's for sure. :);)
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    The way every villain smiles evilly and nobody ever sees them. At all. Ever. Even when they're in a room full of people, when the innocent person is being hounded or arrested or whatever, the villain grins like a homicidal maniac and nobody ever stops and thinks "Hang on..."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    siblings sharing a woman/man. Seriously, there are more people out there
  • Tweety PieTweety Pie Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that everyone seems to have each others telephone numbers on their mobiles in soapland even if they never even speak to one another or like one another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact anybody can just up and leave five minutes after a spontaneous decision, no mention of getting money together, sorting anything out etc.

Taxis and buses will just wait while you have an argument that spans what feels like half the episode.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tweety Pie wrote: »
    The fact that everyone seems to have each others telephone numbers on their mobiles in soapland even if they never even speak to one another or like one another.

On that note how did Sean in Emmerdale get hold of Cameron's mobile number to send him those blackmail texts?

Another cliche for me is when someone has some incriminating evidence on a piece of paper that they don't want anyone to see. Instead of burning it or ripping it up into small pieces they screw it up and put it on top of a full dustbin so that whoever uses the bin next will find it and open it up.

Another one they used to do a lot but they haven't done it for a few years is the use of a baby monitor to overhear a conversation that the listener should not be listening to.
  • Lorri LouLorri Lou Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "this is going to be the best Christmas ever" usually followed by death/ divorce/ disaster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Philth Mitchell
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    The fact anybody can just up and leave five minutes after a spontaneous decision, no mention of getting money together, sorting anything out etc.

And on a similar note, the fact that anybody can have a new flat or house fully redecorated, furnished and organised within about 2 days of moving in; even if they're supposed to be skint. Growing up watching soaps where relocation is as easy as pie seriously set me up for a shock when it came to moving out for the first time!
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can get a job within 5 minutes of asking for one, usually within a 50 metre radius of where they live. Qualifications or previous experience is not a problem

The dash to the airport/train station/coach station to stop someone from leaving
  • axl roseaxl rose Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every birth death and marriage has to be dramatic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axl rose wrote: »
    Every birth death and marriage has to be dramatic

You mean every marriage has to be aborted/ prevented at the first attempt at a huge expense only to go ahead at a later date in a registry office or not at all?:D