Don't like someone at work

2»

Comments

• WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    She's a bit of a psycho and I don't want to awake the beast. She tells lies about people, hides important files etc...I'm hopefully not going to be in that branch too much longer thank God

Yeah, I worked with one of those once. Absolute nightmare! Glad to see you're getting out :)
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this plot in Neighbours back in the 80s. I bet you end up marrying her.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,761
    Forum Member
    You could grow up of course?
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,680
    Forum Member
    Give her time to settle in, it could be nerves. If it carries on then maybe speak to your manager?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    A new person has started and she seems a bit smug and won't listen properly. What can I do to subtly annoy her in a way that she won't know it's me doing it?

I dunno. Approach the problem in an adult way, rather than wanting to behave like a school kid, i.e. behave like a professional, act your age and not your shoe size.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    0/10 Need to try a bit harder.
  • chaoticspiritchaoticspirit Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I work in the clerical department of a massive warehouse. There's one person on my team I don't particularly like. And there's several people who work out in the warehouse that I don't like but still have to deal with. I figure that in a place of 400ish people I can't like all of them, and I imagine there's a few that don't like me either.
    My solution is to just deal with the ones I don't like on a purely professional level. I talk to them only as much as I need to and no more. I really don't see why not liking someone is a valid reason to go out of your way to annoy them.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's someone I work with who I don't really get on with - I'm sure she's nice but we've never hit it off. She's also part of a group of 5 firm friends within and outside of the workplace; when she's there it's like nobody else exists to the group but when she's working elsewhere the rest of the group include the rest of us in their conversations etc.

Great news - she's been peomoted and will be moving on in 2 weeks! I'm happy for her, but happier that I don't have to share office space with her any more!
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnowAll27 wrote: »
    There's someone I work with who I don't really get on with - I'm sure she's nice but we've never hit it off. She's also part of a group of 5 firm friends within and outside of the workplace; when she's there it's like nobody else exists to the group but when she's working elsewhere the rest of the group include the rest of us in their conversations etc.

That sounds a familiar scenario! I'm now "in" the group (sort of: clearly I said something right) but as ever, I try not to take sides and to work professionally with everyone. I have a life and friends outside work luckily.

I'm hoping that the OP was just joking! If not...I agree with those who said that the new person is probably putting on a bit of a front and is insecure inside. Giving someone the benefit of the doubt is always good...and a helping hand
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha Ha no one else likes her either so it's not just me.
    She comes across very smug and uppish. Luckily she has not been coming into this office.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new person has started and she seems a bit smug and won't listen properly. What can I do to subtly annoy her in a way that she won't know it's me doing it?
    You could try growing up so that you learn how to tolerate and work with other people.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Ha Ha no one else likes her either so it's not just me.
    She comes across very smug and uppish. Luckily she has not been coming into this office.

By work do you mean the school tuck shop? Because if not this is ridiculously childish
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Where I used to work, we used to tease one of our bosses by swapping his mouse controls, so that left clicking become right clicking and vice versa. He was rubbish with computers and we'd hear him swearing away in his office and then he'd go off to find an IT person, and we'd swap the controls back, so when the IT person got there, all was normal again. We did this several times before he cottoned on. We didn't dislike him at all though. He was a lovely guy, and we knew he'd see the funny side of it, which he did.

Doing something like that as a means of some kind of petty revenge is just low, especially when the person is new and is most likely coming across as 'smug and uppish' because she's uptight and shy, as most of us are in a new job. So, yeah, don't be an arse.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give the girl a chance, she's new. Don't make things difficult for her, that's mean.

I agree, don't bully the new girl! Give her some time to settle in - she might just be nervous. Maybe she will turn out to be a good friend.

At uni a girl showed up in the dorm room next to me and I thought she was the loudest, most annoying person I had ever met. By the next week, we were the best of friends. It turned out she was quite hilarious once you got used to her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there not a mole all is good OP.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    0/10 Need to try a bit harder.

If it's such a poor and obvious attempt, why are so many biting??
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like a lady at work as she came across very rude and arrogant, in the end I actually liked her (she was still abit rude).
    Just give them some time, we are all new sometimes.