Should Rooney be dropped for the next game?

EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,312
Forum Member
✭✭
Should Roy not play Rooney in the next game and can England still get out of the group?

Comments

• Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should Roy not play Rooney in the next game and can England still get out of the group?

No and yes.

Whatever happens it will be Rooney's fault.
  • batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a useless overpaid footballer. The epitome of football today. Does very little, gets paid a lot. Contributed very little and don't even bother to use his assist as a reason for him being there. He struggled throughout the game then started hoofing the ball at goal in a poorly veiled attempt to be the saviour of the game. If only he had the energy and enthusiasm of Sterling but he won't because he is old.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he should but he won't.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I went to bed at midnight. Didn't think it was worth staying up to watch Jabba the Hutt puff his way up and down the pitch for another 45 minutes.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I'm in two minds, part of me thinks he should be dropped, might give him something to think about. But he was playing out of position, if you're going to play him, at least put him in the right position. He still created the assist for the goal of course.

Folks talking about him being old, well yeah in footballing terms he's getting on a bit but he should be in his prime now!
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He cannot play in his best positions, because at least two of our players are in great form in that position., Stirling and Sturridge.

He has proved to be poor in a wide position, leaving an equally poor baines exposed time after time.

So what do you do?

If there are better players in your position, you get dropped and have to fight for your place. This is what should happen. Will it happen to Rooney?

It depends if Roy has the character to do so. Rooney is part of that golden generation, the undroppables. Until steve g, frank and Rooney are long gone, we will not win anything.

We also need desperately to have some real competition for joe hart. He is a calamity waiting to happen but cannot be dropped because there is no alternative, or not one who has been tested in friendliest.

Gerrard showed us that he is no pirlo. A once great driving player who is just past it at this level. Anonymous. But that could be said of others too.

Johnson cannot possibly be the best rb in the country?

Positives were wellbeck, Sturridge and Stirling. Barclay needs another run out too.

The rest all. All very average indeed.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    He cannot play in his best positions, because at least two of our players are in great form in that position., Stirling and Sturridge.

He has proved to be poor in a wide position, leaving an equally poor baines exposed time after time.

So what do you do?

If there are better players in your position, you get dropped and have to fight for your place. This is what should happen. Will it happen to Rooney?

It depends if Roy has the character to do so. Rooney is part of that golden generation, the undroppables. Until steve g, frank and Rooney are long gone, we will not win anything.

We also need desperately to have some real competition for joe hart. He is a calamity waiting to happen but cannot be dropped because there is no alternative, or not one who has been tested in friendliest.

Gerrard showed us that he is no pirlo. A once great driving player who is just past it at this level. Anonymous. But that could be said of others too.

Positives were wellbeck, Sturridge and Stirling. Barclay needs another run out too.

Rare to read an actual opinion on the situation rather than the usual "Rooney is an overpaid tosser" approach, so respect is due for that :)

I always used to read rumours when Sven was in charge that the England team sponsors had somewhat of an influence on team selection and, as you point out, the 'undroppables'.

Obviously completely unsubstantiated, but it's certainly the kind of rumour that does ring true when there are players who aren't performing and yet continue to start every game.
  • nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney is our only truly world class player; only one that can create something out of nothing. If you believe recent media.....
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Not sure if we can still get out the group now....
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drop him, not a fan off, Inwould play Lambert.

Not going into my true feelings for Rooney as I tend to get slated
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please excuse my simple view - not really a diehard footie fan.

It seems to me that you have 3 players competing for 2 positions. Surely the sensible decision would be to rotate them - thus keeping some freshness in the legs in that heat.

I get the impression that the manager is keen to be seen as a "good guy" so rather than make a decision, he shoehorns all 3 into his starting line-up, playing one out of position and only achieves having all 3 knackered.
  • STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    So England played probably better then i expected

Gerrard Struggled and probably wasn't good enough
    Is Johnson our only RB , because he isnt good enough
    Baines may have had no protection ,but he isnt a world Class LB
    Sturridge looked good
    Sterling is Exciting ,played well in patches
    Wellbeck played well but not the greatest going foward
    Rooney did ok ,lovely cross but bad miss

but all i hear everywhere is Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney

Every phone in , every newspaper article , we are obsessed!!
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batesy2000 wrote: »
    He's a useless overpaid footballer. The epitome of football today. Does very little, gets paid a lot. Contributed very little and don't even bother to use his assist as a reason for him being there. He struggled throughout the game then started hoofing the ball at goal in a poorly veiled attempt to be the saviour of the game. If only he had the energy and enthusiasm of Sterling but he won't because he is old.

Full house on DS cliche bingo!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney has bags of ability there is no doubt about it. Perhaps it might be better for him to come on as a sub. Less pressure and I do think - (not being too critical of the guy) tires a lot more quickly especially in the hot weather than the other players. I think he would could cause a lot more damage coming in to the game later on.

I also agree if he does play for the full 90mins then he has to play up top on his own. That's when he played his best games for United.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On his day Rooney is our best player so in theory it would be madness to drop him. However if we are going to play him it has to be in his position or not at all. how do you expect to get the best out of the striker when you are sticking him out of the wing. While he put in a great cross for the goal his lack of tracking back and covering the wing cost us two goals.

I think next match give him a go as the striker or playing just behind him and if he still does not perform then we do have to drop him. As good as he is for some reason he just seems unable to put in a performance on the large stage. I feel sorry for him I wish he could play as he does for united but you cannot afford to carry people in the team at international level.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the setup for the equalizer rooney was crap. But he'll never be dropped because roy isn't brave enough.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batesy2000 wrote: »

This analysis is worse than the Phil Neville commentary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he should. He was not on form last night and he shouldn't be on the pitch simply because he is Wayne Rooney.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I think he should. He was not on form last night and he shouldn't be on the pitch simply because he is Wayne Rooney.

Which is what roy has always said. Players will be picked on form not their name but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'd rather play rooney out of position than leave him on the bench.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney should have been in behind Sturridge, not Sterling, and Gerrard shouldn't have been sat back so much, if Roy fixes this in the next game you'll see a better performance from both. Sterling will work just as effectively on the wing.
  • batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This analysis is worse than the Phil Neville commentary.
    Hayden wrote: »
    Full house on DS cliche bingo!

Mock all you like. Rooney fanboys are just as bad as the haters. The team played well, the result was a disappointment. I expected more from Rooney and Gerrard and the 'young uns' performed well. This isn't an analysis. I'm no expert but I forget, when it comes to football everyone is an expert.

This is my opinion and last time I checked I was allowed to express and defend it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Which is what roy has always said. Players will be picked on form not their name but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'd rather play rooney out of position than leave him on the bench.

I am not sure it is purely sown to position since he couldn't even take a corner without flinging it into the crowd. I think Roy has bottled it in that regard, maybe he just sees Rooney and Gerard as part of the furniture.

Maybe he just had a bad night and I am being incredibly harsh.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

So what do you do?

I think that's a fair analysis. Up to now, I've never suggested Rooney be dropped. But if he was telling Hodgson that he just couldn't handle the first half role he had been given, maybe it's time to think again.
    A few years ago he would have been happy chasing up and down providing cover for Baines, he used to cover every blade of grass for United..sometimes he was accused of doing too much ! But if that's now beyond him, Hodgson has to decide whether Rooney is so important to the team that he must be given the number 10 role just behind the striker.
    I'm still undecided on that. Rooney redeemed himself with a great cross to Sturridge, and if he had put that one great chance away we probably wouldn't even be talking about it today. Playing 4-2-3-1 we've suddenly got a number of great choices in the attacking midfield positions. I don't think those positions should be set in stone, I would like to see more fluidity. Against Italy we ran into a particular problem and Hodgson should have dealt with it sooner. Uruguay and Costa Rica will be entirely different.
  • IceWarriorIceWarrior Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Both Rooney and Henderson should be dropped for the Uruguay game.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the first time ever, I would be inclined to say yes for the next match. You cannot remove Sturridge from up top, Sterling has to start so Rooney can only occupy one of the three spots across the attacking midfield. The first half we were excellent with Sterling and Wellbeck pivotal, so you would want to retain that.

That leaves Rooney, depending on your view either out of position, or in a position he occupied many times under Fergie but cannot seem to replicate for England.

In terms of who replaces him though the options are not great. Lallana may be a like for like, slightly out of position replacement and still not leave enough cover at the back and Barkley even more so and would only play for an hour. Plus I didn't think any of the 3 subs, showed they should be starting.

That only leaves two replacements for Rooney, either of which I would go for. First choice Chamberlain, if he is fit would offer the attacking and defensive cover.

If he isn't, Milner would be my choice. In the first hour, bar the cross for the goal, which was brilliant, there was not a lot from Rooney in attack so we would not be much less potent with Milner and have more solidity with still so much attacking threat.

What an option off the bench too. The subs disappointed last night, Motta probably contributed more than our three combined. Rooney could be crucial there.