Celebrity Reveal 2014

Comments

• StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    What do you mean Judy Murray isn't going to be the reincarnation of Ginger Rogers?!
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sam33 wrote: »
    Best description of Mark Wright I've seen so far LOL.

BTW, does anyone know why there are no Made In Chelsea cast members in the lineup?
    I find it strange that the producers have headed for the bottom end of the market without trying the top end first.

Probably because Mark has distanced himself from TOWIE in the past few years. Most people from MIC are still "Such and such from Made in Chelsea"
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Update
    6 names announced so far:

1. Frankie Bridge
    2. Judy Murray
    3. Alison Hammond
    4. Thom Evans
    5. Simon Webbe
    6. Mark Wright :(

I'd heard of 2, 5 and 6.
    Wish I hadn't heard of 3. In my opinion she's not a celebrity.
    Never heard of 4 but I don't watch sport.
    Didn't know her name (1) but have heard of the group.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at your reasoning for Judy probably not getting further than Mark being his tabloid popularity, and not the fact that he is probably going to be better at dancing than she is.

No that's was just one of my speculations as to why she may not get further than him and just because he's younger that necessarily mean he'll be a great dancer or better than her or becuase she's older she won't be any good. The fact is we don't know what either of them will be like until we see them.

There is a strong possiblity that those who have an lot of tabloid publicity behind them do better than those that don't - it's been shown with other contestants in the past.
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Probably because Mark has distanced himself from TOWIE in the past few years. Most people from MIC are still "Such and such from Made in Chelsea"

He's been in TOWIE as recently as this year according to wiki and although I don't watch it I remember seeing him in a trailer for it this year.........so not distancing himself at all from it really.....probably had to go back because of the failure of his own reality shows on ITV2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »

He's been in TOWIE as recently as this year according to wiki and although I don't watch it I remember seeing him in a trailer for it this year.........so not distancing himself at all from it really.....probably had to go back because of the failure of his own reality shows on ITV2.

I remember reading on DS that he appeared in one episode when he was visiting a friend (given this was scripted reality that sort of thing makes it in) so he's not an official cast member, and has been off doing his own thing- admittedly only the radio part of his "tv and radio presenter" description has been any kind of success. Either way, he's not considered a TOWIE cast member anymore, and hasn't been for a couple of years so I believe.
    Forum Member
    Wikipedia says that Mark hasn't been an official cast member (so excluding fleeting cameo appearances) since November 2011.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading on DS that he appeared in one episode when he was visiting a friend (given this was scripted reality that sort of thing makes it in) so he's not an official cast member, and has been off doing his own thing- admittedly only the radio part of his "tv and radio presenter" description. Either way, he's not considered a TOWIE cast member anymore, and hasn't been for a couple of years so I believe.

Well as I said I don't watch it but he was in this years trailer and wiki also says he was in it in 2010 - 2011 and 2012. So 2013 was the only year he took off from it in the 'last few years' - as I said hardly distancing himself from it.

And to me a cameo appearance is still being part of the show - especially if they advertise him as being part of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well as I said I don't watch it but he was in this years trailer and wiki also says he was in it in 2010 - 2011 and 2012. So 2013 was the only year he took off from it in the 'last few years' - as I said hardly distancing himself from it.

And to me a cameo appearance is still being part of the show - especially if they advertise him as being part of it.

Gary Barlow cameo'd in Miranda- I don't see his name in the opening credits... as I say, he may still cameo every now and again, but it isn't his primary function nowadays- that is the point we're making!
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    She isn't 'just a celebrity's mother'. She's the British Fed Cup captain and a famous tennis coach. Or is that not worthy enough?

That is pushing it a bit :D

There is really no such thing as a famous tennis coach (unless the coach is a former top player, like Andy's current coach).

She is just like the Abbey's and Penny's from the past, her selection is not directly based on her profession. We all know that, right? And reading (out) her whole CV won't change that fact.

Though it does make for a rare change to see a celebrity getting defended on their credentials (it is usually the other way around).

Will be interesting to see though if they actually mention her famous link when they announce her (or just go with tennis coach and nothing else). Mind you, this year more then ever it will be interesting to hear the announcements for the celebrities (only based on current work, or also referring to past glories).
    Forum Member

There is really no such thing as a famous tennis coach (unless the coach is a former top player, like Andy's current coach).

That was my point - if I asked somebody on the street to name a tennis coach, they'd most likely say Judy Murray. She may not be A list, but she's one of the most well known of her profession.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

he was in one ep in 2013 and another ep in 2014 according to his professional cv which means he's been in TOWIE every year since it began in 2010

hardly distancing himself from the show as you've correctly pointed out :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Barlow cameo'd in Miranda- I don't see his name in the opening credits... as I say, he may still cameo every now and again, but it isn't his primary function nowadays- that is the point we're making!

The difference is Gary Barlow wasn't initally a major cast member of Miranda and he's a famous singer/songwriter and musician.

We'll have to agree to disagree - to me TOWIE is one of Mark's main claims to fame - the others are being a contestant on IAC and being in his high profile relationship with Michelle -regardless of what he does in his 'career' these days- it's certainly not his 'tv presenting' or even 'radio presenting' that he's best known for.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol I can't even remember the name of Andy's current coach as I'm not a fan of women's tennis :D

I can only recall his previous coach Ivan Lendl (a former top player)
    Forum Member
    That was my point - if I asked somebody on the street to name a tennis coach, they'd most likely say Judy Murray. She may not be A list, but she's one of the most well known of her profession.

Honestly? Would most people know she is a tennis coach at all, though? This thread (and others) name her as Andy's mum (when they are presented with her name).

To people who follow tennis, surely they would name Andy's (own) coach before her? And no offence to the British fed cup team (I'm sure Watson and Robson are lovely girls), but that is 2nd or 3rd World Group or something.

On Pointless she would probably not be a pointless answer, but you would be good to name her (it will give you a score in the single digits).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference is Gary Barlow wasn't initally a major cast member of Miranda and he's a famous singer/songwriter and musician.

We'll have to agree to disagree - to me TOWIE is one of Mark's main claims to fame - the others are being a contestant on IAC and being in his high profile relationship with Michelle -regardless of what he does in his 'career' these days- it's certainly not his 'tv presenting' or even 'radio presenting' that he's best known for.

I never said it wasn't his main claim to fame- we all know if it wasn't for TOWIE we'd have never heard of him. I'm saying he isn't a TOWIE actor anymore than Justin Timberlake is a member of NSYNC. It's how he became famous, but you'd identify him now with his solo work or his acting, not the fact he was in a band.
    Forum Member
    Honestly? Would most people know she is a tennis coach at all, though? This thread (and others) name her as Andy's mum (when they are presented with her name).

To people who follow tennis, surely they would name Andy's (own) coach before her? And no offence to the British fed cup team (I'm sure Watson and Robson are lovely girls), but that is 2nd or 3rd World Group or something.

On Pointless she would probably not be a pointless answer, but you would be good to name her (it will give you a score in the single digits).

I'd assume practically everyone who knows that she's Andy Murray's mum would also know that she is (well, was) his coach - I don't watch tennis, but hence why she's often shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said it wasn't his main claim to fame- we all know if it wasn't for TOWIE we'd have never heard of him. I'm saying he isn't a TOWIE actor anymore than Justin Timberlake is a member of NSYNC. It's how he became famous, but you'd identify him now with his solo work or his acting, not the fact he was in a band.
    If Justin Timberlake went back and did a reunion every year with NSYNC -I think people would start identifying him with that pop group again but I think he's had a strong enough solo career to be seen as a solo performer too.

Nobody in TOWIE is an 'actor' - or if they are they're very bad ones. I was just disagreeing with your assertion that Mark's distanced' himself from the show - to me he hasn't especially if he still does appearances - he's mainly known for rubbish reality tv and exposing his private life which is generally the norm for people who've made their name from trashy scripted 'reality tv' - and I don't think he's done any 'solo work' of note to desribe him as anything else - to me he's from trash 'reality tv'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Justin Timberlake went back and did a reunion every year with NSYNC -I think people would start identifying him with that pop group again but I think he's had a strong enough solo career to be seen as a solo performer too.

Nobody in TOWIE is an 'actor' - or if they are they're very bad ones. I was just disagreeing with your assertion that Mark's distanced' himself from the show - to me he hasn't especially if he still does appearances - he's mainly known for rubbish reality tv and exposing his private life which is generally the norm for people who've made their name from trashy scripted 'reality tv' - and I don't think he's done any 'solo work' of note to desribe him as anything else - to me he's from trash 'reality tv'.

Just so I have this clear, I don't like TOWIE, I've never watched it, and if anybody else from the cast joined the show I'd probably be a lot more cynical about it. I just think Mark Wright's done enough in the past 3 years that he has more than the TOWIE string to his bow, to the extent where I'm reserving judgment on whether I like him until I've seen him dance. Between that and his launch show interview, that should be sufficient.
    Forum Member
    boab34 wrote: »
    lol I can't even remember the name of Andy's current coach as I'm not a fan of women's tennis :D

I can only recall his previous coach Ivan Lendl (a former top player)

Andy's coach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9lie_Mauresmo

(by the way, would be an exclusive if they signed her on..........or did they already have a lesbian on before).

As for urban (pop), the (Dutch) wiki article states that it has many subgenres, but is mainly based around black artists (Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Aaliyah, TLC, R. Kelly, Michael Jackson). Then again, Pink and (especially) Kelly Clarkson are also named in the article (as urban). And that new Aussie (female) rapper is probably also urban. So, who knows :D
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update
    6 names announced so far:

1. Frankie Bridge
    2. Judy Murray
    3. Alison Hammond
    4. Thom Evans
    5. Simon Webbe
    6. Mark Wright :(

Heard of them all, not too thrilled with Alison Hammond and Mark Wright. The rest fair enough.
    I don't want to hear or read the name Caroline Flack, or I may have to boycott this series.
    She is pointless.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've given up arguing that Mark is more than just a TOWIE member because like it or not he's in the Strictly cast this year and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Don't like Mark? Fine, but you're wasting your time moaning about it, not his.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've given up arguing that Mark is more than just a TOWIE member because like it or not he's in the Strictly cast this year and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Don't like Mark? Fine, but you're wasting your time moaning about it, not his.
    Unless he's the reincarnation of Fred Astaire he won't last more than 6 or so weeks anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just so I have this clear, I don't like TOWIE, I've never watched it, and if anybody else from the cast joined the show I'd probably be a lot more cynical about it. I just think Mark Wright's done enough in the past 3 years that he has more than the TOWIE string to his bow, to the extent where I'm reserving judgment on whether I like him until I've seen him dance. Between that and his launch show interview, that should be sufficient.
    I don't think those 'strings to his bow' would have got him a place on strictly - it's his publicity seeking that has got him his place imo.
    Unless he's the reincarnation of Fred Astaire he won't last more than 6 or so weeks anyway.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the judges acted like he is even if he's only got a teeny weeny bit of ability ;-)

The one thing I am thankful though is at least he's got some competition in the 'hunk' department as someone said on another thread - therefore at least he might not get an easy ride and Thom Evans seems to get quite a bit of tabloid publicity too so we'll have to wait see who wins out in any 'hunk' wars.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think those 'strings to his bow' would have got him a place on strictly - it's his publicity seeking that has got him his place imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if the judges acted like he is even if he's only got a teeny weeny bit of ability ;-)

The one thing I am thankful though is at least he's got some competition in the 'hunk' department as someone said on another thread - therefore at least he might not get an easy ride and Thom Evans seems to get quite a bit of tabloid publicity too so we'll have to wait see who wins out in any 'hunk' wars.

Oh, nice to see the 'the judges favouritise Mark' stuff starting before the series has even began. It was obviously going to be mentioned at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigh, if y'all gonna be overly cynical, fine. Ruin your own enjoyment. But for the record, I think there are many people "seeking publicity" on Strictly/ I'm a Celeb/ whatever else. Still the producers who have to decide it's worth their while offering a contract, no matter how much the celeb wants to do it!

However, for whatever opinion you hold on Mark, Alison, Judy, or indeed any of the celebs confirmed or that will be in the next fortnight. 2 words.

Nancy Dell'Olio.

Don't look such bad names now, do they?