Finally stopped watching Corrie after 33 years

kevin75ukkevin75uk Posts: 1,326
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cannot stand the show anymore. No decent characters or plots.

Waste of 2 hours of your life a week.

Comments

• BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is terrible, it's hard to believe how bad it has become.

Phil Collinson wasn't that great of an EP, but the show was watchable and kept a decent level of standards, but under Blackburn it is a joke. Why did ITV even hire him? He did the same with Emmerdale.
  • kevin75ukkevin75uk Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My earliest memories of it were with Annie Walker, Stan, Hilda and Eddie and Elsie Tanner, the 80's were great and it is like a different show today.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope you find something else to like
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is awful at the minute, but I'll stick with it...
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    I gave up a couple of weeks back. Totally unwatchable at the moment.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is awful. I keep trying to watch it and then give up. Cliched, lazy, obvious dialogue. Ridiculous pacing. Story lines either drag on for months or are set up with only one scene at lightning speed. Character transplants and characters no one cares about. There's the odd glimmer of Corrie of old, but it's few and far between. I'm sure it'll pick up once this current EP has gone. He did the same thing to ED and I stopped watching that when he was in charge as well.
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    It could just be going through a 'bad patch' like EE did for most of last year, if u don't wanna ride it out you could always use this time to check out the other soaps if u haven't done so already...
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get your arse over to BBC ONE at 19:30 tomorrow! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is a real shame kevin. i grant you it is below par at present, but there are still things going for it. some stand out performances from the likes of ali king, chris gascoyne, jane danson, marc bayliss to name a few.

amongst the dross, there are some nice scenes, which you will now miss.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched it for several weeks now. I feel embarrassed for some of the actors and actresses.

I do, however, post in the main spoiler thread and read the threads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I haven't watched it for several weeks now. I feel embarrassed for some of the actors and actresses.

I do, however, post in the main spoiler thread and read the threads.

so you are a dipper, a corrie tart then? :D
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't blame you.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is appalling lately, I don't know what the writers are thinking. All credit to the actors for continuing to try and act such awful, slow, uninteresting storylines, I'm embarrassed for them. It's pitiful.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll stick with it as I did for eastenders! I'm too much of a soapy to stop now lol.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    sorry i just cant comprehend how you can watch a show for 33 then suddenly give up when a bad patch comes along... im sure there's a been afew bad years along the way....
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I did the same with EE when it got past terrible, sometimes you have to cut things out of your life, I still watch it every now and then and it affirms my decision .

Its just a soap, if you arent enjoying it then you made the right decision.
    Me? I still love it :D
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still watch it out of habit really, I've only been viewer since 2005, (though I've seen bits and pieces starting from the late 90s) so I can't compare it much too the good old days but it's dire now and it's just so sad to see what's happened to it.

I will give up if it becomes really bad and unwatchable but it's one of my only TV shows left I watch. I gave up on H&A at the start of the year as it was nothing like what it use to be and I've been a loyal viewer to that for over 10 years.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Get your arse over to BBC ONE at 19:30 tomorrow! :)

EastEnders is doing fantastically, they're thinking very well! And we have some dark, gritty and emotional stuff coming up! Definitely the best soap! Always has been tbf (minus a few years such as most of 2012 and 2013)
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna be honest, I don't see why people complain about Corrie so much, if it was the only show I watched, maybe I'd be more bothered, Corrie seems okay at the moment, a tad boring, but not that bad.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I'm gonna be honest, I don't see why people complain about Corrie so much, if it was the only show I watched, maybe I'd be more bothered, Corrie seems okay at the moment, a tad boring, but not that bad.

Agreed - it's the typical Summer silly season. Dev's hammy acting with extra ham and bacon is terrible though.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watch the show once every few months when I'm round my Mum's so I don't really know what's going on most of the time, but I have noticed it slowly descend into amateur hour of late!
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could almost overlook the poor acting and repeated storylines, but for me it's just the SORs. I love the SOR thread, it's better than the show!

Corrie was, once of a time, supposed to be based on real people and real lives. Now, they can't even get the basics right never mind the big storylines.

I do miss John Stape though. That storyline was so bad it was brilliant.
  • smurklesmurkle Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Cant say i blame you. Corrie has gone horrible just lately esp with the new family......cant even think of their names atm as i think i just switch off when they come on!!

and that cricket match was SOSOSOSOSO pathetic :(
  • Rich_WilsonRich_Wilson Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I'm with you. I've been watching for years and years but I've stopped now. It's so dull and boring. Don't think i'll be watching again for a while either by the looks of the upcoming storylines!
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    EastEnders is doing fantastically, they're thinking very well! And we have some dark, gritty and emotional stuff coming up! Definitely the best soap! Always has been tbf (minus a few years such as most of 2012 and 2013)

Agreeeeeed! I think the other soap watchers should tune in and give it a try! :)