Options

OJ Simpson

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
Forum Member
✭✭
Result!! 15 years in jail !! Just read it on a US website.

Comments

• Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Very harsh indeed. What did that co-defendent get?

They were really only trying to get back some of his own stuff from a bunch of criminals.

I realise he was guilty of killing his ex wife but the justice system should not have taken this into account as they appear to have done so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,259
    Forum Member
    Stewing wrote: »
    Result!! 15 years in jail !! Just read it on a US website.

Great news, just a shame it wasn't longer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Very harsh indeed. What did that co-defendent get?

They were really only trying to get back some of his own stuff from a bunch of criminals.

I realise he was guilty of killing his ex wife but the justice system should not have taken this into account as they appear to have done so.
    Rubbish! If the judge HAD taken the murder of his wife into account she would have given OJ the MAXIMUM for his actual conviction, which was LIFE as opposed to a mere 12 years. They couldn't get Al Capone on murder so they got him on tax evasion instead.;)
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't like seeing the Goldman's there, I know their relatives were killed but that was a little vindictive, for want of a better word.

He was found not guilty of it, after all.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Justice won't be truely done until he is convicted of that murder.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    He could be out in 5 years with parole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what kind of correctional facility he'll be entered in to but if it's a mainstream facility, I don't think he'll get the warmest of receptions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Didn't like seeing the Goldman's there, I know their relatives were killed but that was a little vindictive, for want of a better word.

He wasn't in the civil case.
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is with the American legal system is that you cannot be tried, convicted and sentenced for the same crime TWICE!!! Its called the "Double Jeopardy" Law!!!! And the Judge today DID say that the previous murder trial did not have any effect and did not even come into the equation regarding this trial as they were 2 entirely seperate cases!!!!

Its just a pity that his sentence wasnt longer!!!! He could have got life and anyone else other than this worldwide reknowned jerk could have been sent down for the rest of his natural life!!!

Also he COULD get denied every parole hearing he comes up for!! So if he gets denied every parole hearing he could end up in the slammer for the rest of his natural life!!!:):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,259
    Forum Member

I'd have been sat there too had it been my child that he allegedly killed. I don't blame them for being there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Its just a pity that his sentence wasnt longer!!!! He could have got life and anyone else other than this worldwide reknowned jerk could have been sent down for the rest of his natural life!!!

Also he COULD get denied every parole hearing he comes up for!! So if he gets denied every parole hearing he could end up in the slammer for the rest of his natural life!!!:):):)

Sounds like you'd have him locked up for not only his natural life but also some of his un-natural one. Do you really think that robbery deserves a life sentence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As another FM pointed out, OJ was found guilty in the civil case but used every dirty trick in the book to avoid paying the court sanctioned damages. You must be a saint if you would not be happy to witness someone you suspected of brutally killing your relatives, being sent to prison for a very long time, even if was for another crime altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the American legal system, armed robbery can get you a life sentence!!!! They are far tougher over there than they are here!! They mean business unlike our soft handed approach to everything!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you'd have him locked up for not only his natural life but also some of his un-natural one. Do you really think that robbery deserves a life sentence?
    If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.:p OJ did not get a life sentence but that option was open to the judge. In certain circumstances, I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of ARMED robbers getting life. All my sympathies lie with the victims of armed criminals, NOT the cowards committing the crime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to my previous comment is that, look at Boy Georges case!! He virtually has done the same thing regarding kidnapping, but over here he will get away virtually scott free, whereas in the USA, OJ is gonna be incarcerated for at least 15+ years!! It just shows you which country means business!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He was found not guilty at criminal court, but a civil court later found him guilty of it and ordered him to pay ~£23m to the Goldman family. It's pretty obvious he did do it, but as has been said it was a long prison term because what he did was very illegal and extremely dangerous.

Should he have just had a slap on the wrist because he's a celebrity? (Again?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    didn't he murder someone as well, before the robbery or something..did that go unnoticed?
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aenaryn wrote: »
    He was found not guilty at criminal court, but a civil court later found him guilty of it and ordered him to pay ~£23m to the Goldman family. It's pretty obvious he did do it, but as has been said it was a long prison term because what he did was very illegal and extremely dangerous.

Should he have just had a slap on the wrist because he's a celebrity? (Again?)

It looks like a set up, I mean why if you were planning an armed robbery would you record everything. Didn't one of his 'friends' do a deal.

I think he did the murders as well, but after the millions of dollars and all those lawyers he was found innocent. I don't think two wrongs make a right here, neither reflect too well on the justice system.

It's bad enough I can't enjoy Capricorn One anymore because of him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad that he got his come uppance finally after evading the murder of his ex wife and her friend.
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it was my child he had (allegedly) killed I'd be sitting in the front row and quite probably be thrown out for cheering. 15 years isn't much, but at least it is something. Revenge? Yes of course it would be, but in a parent's eyes it would be justice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If O.J. had not used a gun, he may have gotten a year or even probation, the GUN made all the difference. This is not for the weak of stomach, here are O.J.'s victims:

Ron Goldman: http://www.bobaugust.com/r1.jpg
    If that was your son or brother, wouldn't you be there for O.J.'s sentencing?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bobaugust.com/n1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bobaugust.com/photo.htm&usg=__voQ5yIKW0OjAchQq6qCSBSmQO5E=&h=408&w=640&sz=69&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=qQKDSqb1SIrFNM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3DNicole%2BBrown%2BSimpson%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26ie%3DUTF-8

Look at all the blood, her head was nearly cut off!

http://www.justicejunction.com/judicial_injustice_oj_crime_photos_nbs.htm

O.J. is a true psychopath and obviously, he couldn't keep under control even now!
  • Options
    goonerladygoonerlady Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only managed to look at one picture I must lead a sheltered life as I did not know you could get those sort of pictures on the internet.

He got away with murder,he got away without paying his victims family most of the money he should have,do I feel sorry for him now ?no.

I hope to god that I am never in the situation where something happens to one of my children as you don't know how you would react.I don't think it is right to criiticize the Goldman's.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could be out in 5 years with parole.

Hope. 9 years before any chance of parole. And that won’t happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    The thing is with the American legal system is that you cannot be tried, convicted and sentenced for the same crime TWICE!!! Its called the "Double Jeopardy" Law!!!! And the Judge today DID say that the previous murder trial did not have any effect and did not even come into the equation regarding this trial as they were 2 entirely seperate cases!!!!

The American law system does get a couple of things right though - life means life with no parole and some states have the death penalty.

The double jeopardy law in the UK was changed in a few years ago, thanks largely to one very determined woman in the North East, Ann Ming, whose daughter was murdered by Billy Dunlop, who was originally aquitted after two juries couldn't reach a verdict but then went around bragging to all and sundry that he had done it and there was nothing anyone could do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4406129.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/oct/07/ukcrime.prisonsandprobation