Lark Rise to Candleford: The Series 4 Discussion Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good point, which leads me to two possible outcomes:
    Dorcas marries Gabriel, she signs the post office to someone else and they remain in Candleford or

Dorcas lets Gabriel go, as she is too content at the post office to give it up. He goes off to promote his invention but returns occansionly to visit his 'friend with benefits'.

although I am sure I am missing something crucial!

Or she decides he's not worth it or vice versa...

But that would be a very odd outcome....it'd just be James Dowland take 2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geogchick wrote: »
    Or she decides he's not worth it or vice versa...

But that would be a very odd outcome....it's just be James Dowland take 2

The fact that he says,
    It's a surprise..
    leads me to think it ends happily for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    LarkRiser wrote: »
    The fact that he says,
    It's a surprise..
    leads me to think it ends happily for them.

.. and thinking back to the TV choice interview, Julia says that they 'tie everything up beautifully' which suggests to me a happy ending :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. and thinking back to the TV choice interview, Julia says that they 'tie everything up beautifully' which suggests to me a happy ending :)

Yup. I think it's a done deal. Not sure I like the name "Dorcas Cochrane" though.
    Forum Member
    Yup. I think it's a done deal. Not sure I like the name "Dorcas Cochrane" though.

LOL sounds better than Dorcas Dowland ! (but not quite as good as Dorcas Midwinter) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Beauty is subjective and I dunno whether I trust Angelheart's idea of beautiful! She prob rips off her corset and burns it, proclaiming she's an independent woman!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL sounds better than Dorcas Dowland ! (but not quite as good as Dorcas Midwinter) :)

Yeah, I much prefer Lady Dorcas Midwinter!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Beauty is subjective and I dunno whether I trust Angelheart's idea of beautiful! She prob rips off her corset and burns it, proclaiming she's an independent woman!:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I much prefer Lady Dorcas Midwinter!:D

i prefer dorcas lane

why are we suddenly trying to marry dorcas off

she does need a man in her life
    maybe in her bed but thats just my opinion ;);)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyrsten wrote: »
    i prefer dorcas lane

why are we suddenly trying to marry dorcas off

she does need a man in her life
    maybe in her bed but thats just my opinion ;);)

There was only one man I wanted her to be able to marry but that ain't gonna happen--so I would rather she realize she is happy the way she is, stay single and remain as postmistress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was only one man I wanted her to be able to marry but that ain't gonna happen--so I would rather she realize she is happy the way she is, stay single and remain as postmistress.

aww sherry
    you need to get over sir tim
    dorcas has :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyrsten wrote: »
    aww sherry
    you need to get over sir tim
    dorcas has :D:D

I've accepted it. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've accepted it. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it. :cool:

haha

i did love that relationship
    i loved the longing
    it was so beautifully heartbreaking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now that would make me stand up and cheer! :D
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what if........
    Dorcas' pal at PO HO (the visitor at the end of series 3 who made everything OK), is visited by Gabriel suggesting that he and Dorcas want to be married but due to Dorcas' love for the post office has ruled out happiness with another person? Gabriel proposes to the regional manager that HE take over control; of the Post Office but Dorcas is to stay on as Post Office manager. The regionaql manager agrees and Dorcas and Gabriel marry, remain in candleford and Dorcas gets to continue with the one thing she loves most as well as participate in a happy ending. Then we can truly say "And they all lived happily ever after.

Would that seem plausible?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I am new to the boards, how do you read these spoilers?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    gibken wrote: »
    I am new to the boards, how do you read these spoilers?

Drag your mouse over the blanked out area as if you were selecting text for cutting and pasting.
    Forum Member
    Thank you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    gibken wrote: »
    Thank you

I work on a MAC but have also found that just clicking on the quote bubble (lower right) will give me the spoler language.
    Forum Member
    Have just tried using the quote button and that works . Thanks for your help
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    But what if........
    Dorcas' pal at PO HO (the visitor at the end of series 3 who made everything OK), is visited by Gabriel suggesting that he and Dorcas want to be married but due to Dorcas' love for the post office has ruled out happiness with another person? Gabriel proposes to the regional manager that HE take over control; of the Post Office but Dorcas is to stay on as Post Office manager. The regionaql manager agrees and Dorcas and Gabriel marry, remain in candleford and Dorcas gets to continue with the one thing she loves most as well as participate in a happy ending. Then we can truly say "And they all lived happily ever after.

Would that seem plausible?

That would be a happy ending, for me anyway, but..
    I am not convinced PO HO would accept Dorcas continuing as Post Office manager, even if Gabriel was in charge, as weren't women expected to give up work completely after marriage?
    They could part company now but agree to marry in the future once Sidney is old enough to take over the PO, which would also allow Gabriel some time to go off and promote his invention.. maybe this is a bit far fetched!
    Beauty is subjective and I dunno whether I trust Angelheart's idea of beautiful! She prob rips off her corset and burns it, proclaiming she's an independent woman!

LOL.. Dorcas loves her corsets, I can't see her burning them.. ripping them off? that's a different matter, especially where a certain widower is concerned :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be a happy ending, for me anyway, but..
    I am not convinced PO HO would accept Dorcas continuing as Post Office manager, even if Gabriel was in charge, as weren't women expected to give up work completely after marriage?
    They could part company now but agree to marry in the future once Sidney is old enough to take over the PO, which would also allow Gabriel some time to go off and promote his invention.. maybe this is a bit far fetched!

No, women could work after marriage--just not in an "established" position. She would not be allowed to remain as Postmistress but she could remain as Sub-Postmistress.

Per http://postalheritage.org.uk/history/people/women:

The marriage bar
    In 1876, the Post Office instituted a marriage bar which required women to resign on marriage and forbade the employment of married women in established positions. Married women could remain working as Sub-Postmistresses as these were not established positions.
  • hibbychubbshibbychubbs Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    can someone tell me if what i read in the paper today that this is the final series of larkrise can't seem to find anything here ..cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can someone tell me if what i read in the paper today that this is the final series of larkrise can't seem to find anything here ..cheers

Yes, unfortunately, this is the final series of Lark Rise.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/01/22/bbc-axes-lark-rise-to-candleford-115875-22866641/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's certainly an improvement on Dorcas Delafield or Dorcas Dowland, I have to say, but we all know her real names Dorcas Dibber anyway:D:D:D
    LOL.. Dorcas loves her corsets, I can't see her burning them.. ripping them off? that's a different matter, especially where a certain widower is concerned

AH loves her corsets, Dorcas doesn't have much choice:D:D
This discussion has been closed.