Lark Rise to Candleford: The Series 4 Discussion Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Just reading a TV Guide which has a pic of Dorcas and Sidney. The caption reads: "Lark Rise to Candleford: Julia Sawalha (left)." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    LarkRiser wrote: »

I have only seen the second part of the series (hence my fondness for the JD/Dorcas relationship). I look forward to the third and fourth (except perhaps for the snake episode), informed by all the comments on this blog from those of you who have been with LRTC since the inception. I also just ordered series one on DVD from Amazon, and feel blessed to have so much LRTC yet to come.

It is hard to imagine Angelheart in any other role, but clearly she is a multi-faceted, talented actress (not to mention beautiful and expressive - who were those people who disparaged her expressiveness anyway?), so I look forward to seeing Angelheart in other great productions.

As I savor many more hours of LRTC, I wish all of you many more years of LRTC in your hearts. I suspect I am not the only incurable romantic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    LarkRiser wrote: »
    No, women could work after marriage--just not in an "established" position. She would not be allowed to remain as Postmistress but she could remain as Sub-Postmistress.

Per http://postalheritage.org.uk/history/people/women:

The marriage bar
    In 1876, the Post Office instituted a marriage bar which required women to resign on marriage and forbade the employment of married women in established positions. Married women could remain working as Sub-Postmistresses as these were not established positions.

Thanks for the info and web link Larkriser, that makes Wizzy's proposal much more plausible. Hope you enjoy tonight's episode.. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info and web link Larkriser, that makes Wizzy's proposal much more plausible. Hope you enjoy tonight's episode.. :)

I had to do that research for my own fanfic where I had Dorcas sell the post office to Timothy before they were married but she, of course, stayed on to run it. :D I could find no information to the contrary to say that she couldn't sell her post office to her husband-to-be. I even inquired with the postal museum but they never replied.

Hope you enjoy tonight's episode, too! You get to see it in just under half an hour! I'm just going to lunch with friends now so will miss everyone's comments in the next two hours. Arggh! I hope to see it myself later tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely despise Twister.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So do I. He is so self-centred and mean-spirited. he should have popped his clogs as he does nothing for LRTC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Good episode tonight, although I simply hate the fact that we're at 4/6 instead of 4/12.

Sydney rocked tonight, he's such a natural.

Best moment: When Dorcas gasped and held her stomach, a wonderful gesture of hers, when Gabriel unveiled the Tempestulator or whatever it was! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grr....Twister almost ruined that episode for me! Sorry Twister's Twin but I struggle to find any redeeming feature for him. He even walked in and ruined the Gabriel/orcas conversation

Loving Dorcas' house rules! And slightly taking a risk with Gabriel - wahey!

Was slightly distracted by what seemed like rain in Candleford -anyone else notice?
  • shrekshrek Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed tonight's but I felt on BBC one HD the quality is getting worse (bitrate), its not far off SD quality and rather fuzzy and not as sharp as previously
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geogchick wrote: »
    Grr....Twister almost ruined that episode for me! Sorry Twister's Twin but I struggle to find any redeeming feature for him. He even walked in and ruined the Gabriel/orcas conversation

Loving Dorcas' house rules! And slightly taking a risk with Gabriel - wahey!

Was slightly distracted by what seemed like rain in Candleford -anyone else notice?

I don't think it was rain. I think it was fat dripping from the roasting pig!

Did anyone think that they WOULDN'T kill the pig?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shrek wrote: »
    I enjoyed tonight's but I felt on BBC one HD the quality is getting worse (bitrate), its not far off SD quality and rather fuzzy and not as sharp as previously

It looked absolutely stunning on my HD TV. Especially the colourful pre-title sequence and those glorious shots of the cornfield.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I don't think it was rain. I think it was fat dripping from the roasting pig!

Did anyone think that they WOULDN'T kill the pig?

:D Did seem a bit much as Queenie was sleeping with it!...pity they didn't roast twister instead!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's SD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched it in HD for several series now and this seem pretty bad quality, it usually looks stunning I agree not not tonight where I was, maybe is just local thing sd upscaled tonight for some reason

We have on tv at present being human on bbc HD and that's fine at mo. Definitely Larkrise was poor quality for me, I thought at first I must have had it on bbc one rather than BBC one he but nope I was watching at a few minutes late on pvr and that's set in hd as I always select HD recordings
    It looked absolutely stunning on my HD TV. Especially the colourful pre-title sequence and those glorious shots of the cornfield.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Standard Definition.

BBC have been known to play with bitrates in fact itv hd makes bbc hd look crap many times now especially Corrie compared with Eastenders
    What's SD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ave watched it in HD for several series now and this seem pretty bad quality, it usually looks stunning I agree not not tonight where I was, maybe is just local thing sd upscaled tonight for some reason

We have on tv at present being human on bbc HD and thats fine

Do you think that it might be just that as we get used to HD and enjoy better quality pictures, our expectations of what we think pictures should be like have got greater? I generally watch BBC1 HD permanently and it's only when I switch to normal BBC1 that I notice the difference! Also, don't forget that all BBC programmes have been upscaled to a slightly better definition than SD!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I watched HD for years now and I say around 60% of my viewing is HD. Like I said being human on now is fine, Lark rise wasnt it was fuzzy for me. My OH doesn't know difference between sd and hd I do I prefer quality over quantity any day, hence I love this program :)

Do you think that it might be just that as we get used to HD and enjoy better quality pictures, our expectations of what we think pictures should be like have got greater? I generally watch BBC1 HD permanently and it's only when I switch to normal BBC1 that I notice the difference! Also, don't forget that all BBC programmes have been upscaled to a slightly better definition than SD!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I watched HD for years now and I say around 60% of my viewing is HD. Like I said being human on now is fine, Lark rise wasnt it was fuzzy for me. My OH doesn't know difference between sd and hd I do I prefer quality over quantity any day, hence I love this program :)

In that case I don't know why your picture wasn't as good. As I say my picture quality on HD was superb.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it must be local thing because bbc HD is fine at present itw a just that episode it usually looks stunning in hd it didnt have that clarity and sharpness you expect in hd, although my box does state 1080i
    In that case I don't know why your picture wasn't as good. As I say my picture quality on HD was superb.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see this episode back to it's good old self. Great to have a good old titter to myself during this one. Must admit that I wasn't too keen on last weeks at all.

I do think I'm finally mellowing towards Gabriel though!! My heart went out to both Dorcas and Gabriel especially at the end. I am finding it hard to cope with double doses of the sweetness and light outlooks on life from both of them though.

But, all that aside, smashing episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish it wouldn't end, I do feel tv is really going down hill in recent years and there are a few gems on tv, this being one of them.

I do have fondness for Twister although I know he can be pig headed and selfish I find him amusing and at times silly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got distracted by the fuzzy background once or twice during the outside scenes tonight. Scene between Twister and Thomas......I'm convinced it was raining. Would it explain it? - would they have to fuzz that more......?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do notice issues sometimes outside especially when dark I did notice it more outside I must admit then scenes indoors.

I haven't notice any issues with quality with lark rise until tonight

I got distracted by the fuzzy background once or twice during the outside scenes tonight. Scene between Twister and Thomas......I'm convinced it was raining. Would it explain it - would they have to fuzz that more......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you shouldn't have said that :eek:

TT will go off on you now
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,345
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise how much I missed Robert until I started watching my Xmas present of the complete Boxset of LRTC. He was/is just so strong in both body and voice. Poor Emma how she is managing to cope with out him I don't know. Also I watched the Making of LRTC
    and was surprised not to see Julia/Dorcas in any of the
    interviews. Why was she missing she is such a main part of the story. Perhaps she had been at the 'sweet sherry';)
This discussion has been closed.