Batman: Arkham Origins Confirmed

austino6austino6 Posts: 301
Forum Member
Batman Arkham Origins has just been announced for PC, Wii U, PS3 and Xbox 360! Set several years before the previous chapters in the series, the story will put you in the shoes of a younger Batman. Players will meet many of the franchise’s most important characters for the first time and even develop important relationships with them.

Alongside the main game, a spinoff title called Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate will be available for 3DS and Vita platforms. Both games will be available on October 25th of this year, and will be developed by WB Games Montreal, rather than series creator Rocksteady. Stay tuned to Gamefocus for more details on the game!

source: gamefocus.ca

gameinformer may cover: http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/warnerbros/7894681325/cov_241_l.jpg

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Awesome-O

I look forward to this. Thoroughly enjoyed the previous 2 games so this will a definite purchase !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm half and half. Adore the first two but really don't like that Rocksteady are not behind it. I just hope WB Montreal understand what made the first two so good, the level of detail in the graphics of Arkham Island/City really were outstanding so I don't want just a knockoff looking Gotham in this one.

The general level of care is something I really admired so the fact they are already prepping this for release in just 6 months has me worried a little also. Hoping they've been working on it for a while but only just announced it.

The story though and the setting of a Christmas Eve Gotham has interested me though and I hope they keep the Riddler amongst other side missions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit more open world would be welcomed for the third game, .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    If it's not Rocksteady then i'm considerably less interested. My money is on this being a lazy cash in.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like DLC for Arkham City to me. Hope they don't mess this up as the first 2 Rocksteady games where incredible and you could tell they were proper fans of the Batman universe and the games had a lot of depth to them.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Rocksteady? :(

Also... what about the voice cast?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    It should be good. I don't know about DC as much as I know about Marvel, so hopefully this game will give some more experience of other DC characters who I don't know much about. And I hope they do that in an awesome way. The previous two games are masterpieces and they have a lot of great tools to work with here.
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay! More Wii U third party support ;)

And I'm actually looking forward to the 3DS spin-off too, given that it's being made by the makers of Metroid Prime.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Have to agree that I'm far less interested than I would be if Rocksteady were involved. On the other hand, the game will be designed by the same person as The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, so that's good.

I hope boss battles are improved. The voice cast will likely be different as they are going for younger versions of the characters.

Reading about it on IGN.....the city will be twice as big, but you'll be able to use the Batwing to zip from one side to the other. Glad to see that.....going backwards and forwards became boring rather quickly.

>> Players will not only see a much more skeptical and potentially hostile Gotham City Police Department (aka the 'GCPD', which happens to feature a young Captain Jim Gordon), but younger and healthier versions of big bad guys like the Penguin - who apparently didn't always have the tail end of a glass bottle shoved in one eye. <<
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    HThe voice cast will likely be different as they are going for younger versions of the characters.

Meh :(

One of the (many) things I loved about the first two was the use of the BtAS cast members for Bruce/Batman, Joker, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah The Joker should only be voiced by Hamill in these games IMO and he seemed pretty adamant that he isn't doing it anymore.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conroy can do a younger sounding Bruce/Batman as shown in Gotham Knight, but I am not completely opposed to using a different actor for his voice. It would show a great progression of age between Origins and Asylum/City.

I would rather have loose references and clues to Joker rather than him being an active character within the game. He was the focal point of the last two, it would be interesting to see little references that he exists within in the world without actually seeing him.

All that aside, I am still not 100% on board with the game, as people have mentioned the fact that Rocksteady are not developing it is a concern for me, it just seems like a filler between AC and what Rocksteady are no doubt developing for next gen. I honestly hope the game proves me wrong though.

Though I won't lie, I absoloutely LOVE the idea that it is set on Christmas Eve. A more open Gotham that has a blanket of snow will look great and be a treat to play in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading/looking at this http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a471894/batman-arkham-origins-new-details-first-screens-emerge.html

I am considerably more excited. They are saying all the right things, right setting, decent sounding story and the concept art looks stunning. If this was Rocksteady still I'd think this could out do the other two but I'm still just that little bit cynical. Is there an official site yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    If it's not Rocksteady then i'm considerably less interested. My money is on this being a lazy cash in.

Apparently Rocksteady are being leaned on for technical advise etc. It looks like it's pretty much going to be the same forumla as the previous 2 games.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just give the game to Rocksteady to develop?

Reducing costs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Why not just give the game to Rocksteady to develop?

Reducing costs?

They are working on Next gen games aren't they? and maybe they didn't want to just keep making the same game

I myself am really looking forward to it, not to bothered that Rocksteady aren't developing it, they have set the ground work so perfectly that you'd really need to try your hardest if you are going to **** it up

Plus it gives Rocksteady the chance to prove they are more than just Batman games and WB games Montreal get a chance to get themselves noticed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need to play through arkham city first looks interesting though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Actually Mark Hamill said recently he wouldn't rule out returning to the Arkham Franchise as long as Kevin's Batman he will most certainly return "Never Say never" . Kevin can alter his voice to make him sound younger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Rocksteady probably are working on Arkham City sequel for next gen. ( I hope so many so many questions need answering. Hush,Scarecrow etc)
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Having seen the new stroy trailer I am now looking forward to it a lot more. Hope we get some gameplay footage soon.
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are quite a few gameplay videos out there now thanks to E3, but here's a link to Gamespot's - the only one I've watched in its entirety.

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/batman-arkham-origins-6410001/

I was really worried about the game until I watched this. I'm utterly convinced by this video that WB Montreal can carry the Rocksteady torch.

I was really impressed by creative director Eric Holmes explaining they were in awe of Rocksteady's vision and mechanics, and didn't want to undo them but rather build on what was already successful. It's clear from the gameplay that they've wisely added to Rocksteady's system without tampering too much.

I wasn't looking forward to this game at ALL until I saw this video. I'm still a little reluctant about the irreplaceable Joker's seeming absence, but I can see the gameplay and unique unfolding story are still intact. I can just tell this game is going to be amazing.

And I'm a PC gamer, so that goes double for me.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this a prequel to Asylum? Plus I thought Joker appeared at the end of one the trailers at E3?