Amazon going down the pan

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I think that's the way to go! :D
    I am struggling to see 2 items being missing in action from the same place though, sent 2 days apart.
    I am still smelling a rat. But it makes no odds. Nothing I or anyone else can do about it.
    They are a shambles & always will be, simply because they can be..

I really don't think there is a rat. I think that the weather has just screwed up their system which at Christmas has always been flaky, so it has magnified the problem tenfold.
    I haven't shopped online for 5 years now because I know that there is a possibility of things not arriving. I would rather have the item from the High Street in my hand ready for Christmas. That may in some cases mean paying a little extra but it is peace of mind I know I am ready for Christmas and not spending my time worrying that someone may miss out.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    I really don't think there is a rat. I think that the weather has just screwed up their system which at Christmas has always been flaky, so it has magnified the problem tenfold.
    I haven't shopped online for 5 years now because I know that there is a possibility of things not arriving. I would rather have the item from the High Street in my hand ready for Christmas. That may in some cases mean paying a little extra but it is peace of mind I know I am ready for Christmas and not spending my time worrying that someone may miss out.

Yes, I agree with you now. I hate towns, & used to avoid them like the plague. It worked every year until this year, but this has taught me a lot.
    Next year I will have to venture into town. And maybe get a few little stocking fillers in the last week to make sure it's prioritised with delivery.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    I love optimistic people, you're lovely :)
    I wish I didn't fell like smacking their face in! :D
    jk ;)

I'm not joking.

The RM is full of over-time grabbing, Union-powered jobs-worths. It is also full of useless management, hence the constant turmoil there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilPost wrote: »
    I'm not joking.

The RM is full of over-time grabbing, Union-powered jobs-worths. It is also full of useless management, hence the constant turmoil there.

Yes, & even if they had to take on temp staff, they would have no shortage of people at the moment!
    I work in Sainsburys, I know what big companies are like, it's all about profit. They are as tight as a ducks arse. Forget trying to please the customer really. It's all about profit at the end of the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I've been shopping with Amazon for around eight years, but this year is the worst experience I'v ever had with them. My order was made on november 29th, including one to one of their merchants. The merchant's package arrived three days later, and I couldn't be more pleased with their service. However, I'm still waiting for Amazon's packages which were tracked to the Yorkshire distribution centre at Normanton.:(

After reading what Royal Mail workers have been saying, it's highly unlikely that my packages will reach me by xmas. My local sorting office has long cleared their backlog, which is good considering that our roads, main and side, have not seen any real snow for nearly three weeks. We did have a light fall last friday, less than one centimetre which had vanished by saturday evening.;)

Take a look at the following forum if you want to know what the postal workers are saying:
    http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32257&start=30

If Amazon think that they are going to become the biggest thing in online trading since computers were invented, they'd better think again, because after this year's fiasco they're likely to be avoided like the plague.:mad: Someone should tell them that the customer is the most important asset of any business.

I'll let you all know when my packages turn up, but in the meantime, I wish you all: Seasons Greetings.:D
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    What is a concern is why cards have been arriving dated after the parcels were sent.

Easy, Cards can be processed by machine and parcels can't. Therefore they can send as many cards through the sorting machines as they can handle. Parcels need to be sorted by hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamonit wrote: »
    I've been shopping with Amazon for around eight years, but this year is the worst experience I'v ever had with them. My order was made on november 29th, including one to one of their merchants. The merchant's package arrived three days later, and I couldn't be more pleased with their service. However, I'm still waiting for Amazon's packages which were tracked to the Yorkshire distribution centre at Normanton.:(

After reading what Royal Mail workers have been saying, it's highly unlikely that my packages will reach me by xmas. My local sorting office has long cleared their backlog, which is good considering that our roads, main and side, have not seen any real snow for nearly three weeks. We did have a light fall last friday, less than one centimetre which had vanished by saturday evening.;)

Take a look at the following forum if you want to know what the postal workers are saying:

If Amazon think that they are going to become the biggest thing in online trading since computers were invented, they'd better think again, because after this year's fiasco they're likely to be avoided like the plague.:mad: Someone should tell them that the customer is the most important asset of any business.

I'll let you all know when my packages turn up, but in the meantime, I wish you all: Seasons Greetings.:D

I particularly liked this post, twas very informative :D
    The disgraceful thing is I know a postie and he tells me they are under instruction to sort/deliver the current mail coming into the centre as Royal Mail have targets for processing mail......seeing as the delayed mail like mine and others have failed....they have merely been ringfenced away and are not seen as prioroty as they have already failed. It's all about achieving KPI's (key preformanve indicators) for managers as these are linked to bonuses.......bloody terrible way to operate.
    Forum Member
    If anyone else ran a business in the manner that the PO do, they'd be out of business inside six months. I should have thought that if Amazon want to become truly big, then they should operate their own delivery service with their name emblazoned on the side of every truck/van.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the problem is Royal Mail then Amazon should not get the blame for this as they have done their part, the RM need to deliver it on. It would be a shame if Amazon's business does suffer. They have worked hard over the years and are now officially the most popular online retailer in the UK, it would be awful it that was ruined by a third party.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about achieving KPI's (key preformanve indicators)

Been on the Christmas sherry already? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    Been on the Christmas sherry already? :D

I copied & pasted it off that forum. Dont blame me (said in my best RM bosses voice) :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem. Did really well with a microwave for me recently. Had it replaced within days!
    Forum Member

Sorry, to disappoint you, but Amazon are already there, buy a huge margin. :D Stats I found are a bit old, but you get the gist. I thyink Tesco will have leaped up the list today to be top 5, based on the growth at Tesco.com

Retailer, Country of Origin, 2008, 2007
    Amazon.com, U.S., 13,096, 10,842
    Otto Group, Germany, 5,500, 4,889
    Staples, U.S., 5,262, 4,093
    Office Depot, U.S., 3,280, 3,581
    Dell, U.S., 3,280, 3,069
    Arcandor, Germany, 3,500, 3,000
    Hewlett-Packard, U.S., N/A, 2,485
    Tesco, U.K., 2,393, 2,339
    OfficeMax, U.S., 2,119, 2,339
    Apple, U.S., 2,460, 1,973

They already beleive the customer is important, as words from Emperor Bezos are:

“While Amazon does not have a formal mission statement, the basic
    mission and goals of the Company are evident in the words of Mr.
    Bezos, "We have one strategy at Amazon.com - provide the customer with
    the best shopping experience." Additionally, "…our goal is nothing
    short of building the world's most customer-centric Company." Lastly,
    "our Company mission is to leverage technology and expertise to
    provide the best buying experience on the Internet"

Perhaps after this, and the corporate abortion that was the Introduction of Thanksgiving Black Friday to the UK, he needs to stop wearing his Arse Hat, and do some time on the (UK) shop :rolleyes: floor
    Forum Member
    Yes, & even if they had to take on temp staff, they would have no shortage of people at the moment!
    I work in Sainsburys, I know what big companies are like, it's all about profit. They are as tight as a ducks arse. Forget trying to please the customer really. It's all about profit at the end of the day.

Yes, but in a heavily unionised environment, where there is ineffectual management, and a brooding history of bad blood - do you really think Johny Temp Worker will get a sniff of any OT that is going ?
    Forum Member
    Result!!! My long lost package from Amazon turned up this afternoon, just as I was about to go out for the last time before xmas. If the post office believe in cutting things close, including all the stress I went through waiting, then this was the limit.

On this glad tiding, and I sincerely hope that everyone else who has been kept waiting for their Amazon packets, has now received theirs too. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all, when it arrives, (and not late I hope;))
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Result!!! My long lost package from Amazon turned up this afternoon, just as I was about to go out for the last time before xmas. If the post office believe in cutting things close, including all the stress I went through waiting, then this was the limit.

On this glad tiding, and I sincerely hope that everyone else who has been kept waiting for their Amazon packets, has now received theirs too. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all, when it arrives, (and not late I hope;))

It's not just Amazon packages people are waiting for. But yes, I know, it's the only thread still running about the post.
    But I am off to Tesco home direct tomorrow to replace the ones the post office let me down on. Waited in all this week, obviously cant wait any longer.
    And also my CSA only went in today, a week late, I only had £25 available in my bank up until today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two Play and two Amazon packages to come. Not holding out much hope now. They were all ordered in plenty of time.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well having never had a problem with Amazon previously, I ordered a DVD on the 5th Dec, and finally it turned up today, 16 days after dispatch. I didn't believe I'd see it this side of Xmas. Trouble is I had a replacement issued last week. That was due ist class on Monday, but that one hasn't arrived yet Amazon have agreed to pay return postal charges when it does come. I think the problem has been RM, rather than Amazon itself, and I think this has finally brought home to many people how unreliable the RM service has become over the past few years.
    Forum Member
    melly123 wrote: »
    I have two Play and two Amazon packages to come. Not holding out much hope now. They were all ordered in plenty of time.

Got ba5tard out-carded today, or rather my missus did.

Do i....

1. Do the St Pancras walk, at the RM Sorting Office
    2. Go to A.N.Other store and enjoy the XMAS Eve throng, and return the Amazon delivery
    3. Say it was late, get sh1t, and give after XMAS

All 3 are sh1t options for tomorrow.

Fan fcuking-tastic
    Forum Member
    m06een00 wrote: »
    Well having never had a problem with Amazon previously, I ordered a DVD on the 5th Dec, and finally it turned up today, 16 days after dispatch. I didn't believe I'd see it this side of Xmas. Trouble is I had a replacement issued last week. That was due ist class on Monday, but that one hasn't arrived yet Amazon have agreed to pay return postal charges when it does come. I think the problem has been RM, rather than Amazon itself, and I think this has finally brought home to many people how unreliable the RM service has become over the past few years.

Agree my arse. It's called Distance Selling Act, and it's the law. They don;t have a choice in the matter..........

.........though their print your own label and drop it off service is pretty good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a problem with Amazon, in fact on some things i ordered, the delivery estimate was two months yet it turned up a week after i ordered. Very impressed.

Have heard a lot of people complain about play.com going up the swanny though, haven't ordered from there since 2009.
    Forum Member
    RED_ wrote: »
    Never had a problem with Amazon, in fact on some things i ordered, the delivery estimate was two months yet it turned up a week after i ordered. Very impressed.

Have heard a lot of people complain about play.com going up the swanny though, haven't ordered from there since 2009.

Don't have any problem with play.com, but I don;t order stuff from them that often - they are not price competative to Amazon/Dixons/HMV/Zavvi. However their main warehouse is 3 miles from where I live, so do not ever expect much aggro :p

Main repeated gripe with Amazon, Black Friday abortion and Christmas dificulties aside, is them sitting on 'in stock' orders for days, instead of booting them out the door same day dispatch, as Indigo Starfish mainly seem to manage.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Thankfully all of my stuff has turned up now. Orders I placed with the marketplace sellers won this year for me however. I even received a CD I ordered from one of the marketplace sellers yesterday after ordering it late on Monday afternoon.
    Don't have any problem with play.com, but I don;t order stuff from them that often - they are not price competative to Amazon/Dixons/HMV/Zavvi...

Main repeated gripe with Amazon, Black Friday abortion and Christmas dificulties aside, is them sitting on 'in stock' orders for days, instead of booting them out the door same day dispatch, as Indigo Starfish mainly seem to manage.

I'm the same with regard to play.com. We ordered so many CDs and DVDs from Play in 2003/2004 and didn't have any problems. In most cases, Amazon is cheaper these days whenever I compare prices although I have found that items I'm intending on buying have been the same price on both sites recently. I have also found the odd CD and DVD to be cheaper on Play.

I think one of the 'in stock' DVD boxsets I ordered might have had the same fate as you described too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have any problem with play.com, but I don;t order stuff from them that often - they are not price competative to Amazon/Dixons/HMV/Zavvi. However their main warehouse is 3 miles from where I live, so do not ever expect much aggro :p

Since you mentioned Indigo Starfish, they are the one company that have caused me hassle on Amazon, bought a Micro SD card on there via amazon, this was early December and two weeks after the order, nothing was dispatched, contacted them, contacted amazon, nothing. In the end i just cancelled my order.
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:rolleyes:

Don't be daft. Amazon are excellent.

Do you not know it is Christmas?