✭✭
    what an awful thing to say

Why?

Let's not be naive.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    We're long due a terrorist attack.

I think we will be next. I'm just glad I don't live in a big city.

I live in London and people seem genuinely afraid of an attack occurring this weekend during the Marathon. :(
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're long due a terrorist attack.

I think we will be next. I'm just glad I don't live in a big city.

And we should just live on as normal.

Exactly; that is PRECISELY how you defeat Terrorism.

Terrorism is a "military" tactic by which a group or individual with limited means makes a government spend TOO much money and TOO much effort...and normal citizens are put out TOO much by all the necessary security....so that it becomes EASIER to just negotiate with the buggers...

How you defeat it is to go about your normal life and business and simply ignore it...if you aren't put out - or rather don't let yourself be put out - you won't demand your government DO something about it...
  • Options
    suez_channelsuez_channel Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    While it might seen illogical for IRA connections to bomb Irish city Boston, when did terrorists ever act rationally e.g. I believe the Birmingham pub bombings were planned as show of strength after IRA bomber scored an own goal and blew himself up.
    They could fear that the Jimmy Saville s of terrorism Gerry and Martin could have past exploits come to light.
    On the other hand their methods have been widely adopted eg these pipe bombs in waste bins so could be of any persuasion hope the Americans get them identified
  • Options
    Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Why is it?

Some people in Boston, not everyone.

/pedant

because isn't shaprel going to be a result of the bomb going off.

Bomb explodes resulting in shapnal (debris etc) going everywhere.

Unless the bomb just went off in the sky or something then there would always be shrapnel... right? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    I live in London and people seem genuinely afraid of an attack occurring this weekend during the Marathon. :(

I don't get this mentality. Don't get me wrong, terrorism is designed to terrorise people so in many respects, I can understand.....but if there is a plane crash today and I'm due on a flight tomorrow, rather perversely, I think that the events of today must reduce the odds of something catastophic happening to me tomorrow.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All high profile events have been considered as targets for many years. Security tends to be much tighter than most people realise. There is no reason to suppose that the events in Boston have any bearings on the London marathon. No link has yet been established to a terrorist group or an individual.

edit...no motive has been established as to why the Boston marathon was 'chosen'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Is it official that the IRA are behind the attacks or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lock your door and close your curtains.

:(

I know.. I don't think the press help, but then we can't believe we live in a world where everything is dandy.

Touch wood, we're very lucky.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because isn't shaprel going to be a result of the bomb going off.

Bomb explodes resulting in shapnal (debris etc) going everywhere.

Unless the bomb just went off in the sky or something then there would always be shrapnel... right? :confused:

There is always shrapnel, confined spaces increase the speed and the damage big time, it is not nice.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest is... they're looking for a dark skinned man with a foreign accent, with a rucksack, who was refused entry into a restricted area before the 1st bomb went off. Said person pulled up his hood and walked off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boston Globe ‏@BostonGlobe 1m
    Injury count as of 7.45 pm by hospital: Boston Children’s 8; Brigham 27; BMC 23; MGH 22; BI 21; St E's, 15; Tufts 9
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill O'Reilly already making ridiculous comparisons to the Nazi's on Fox. Is there an end to his reactionary stupidity?
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    Latest is... they're looking for a dark skinned man with a foreign accent, with a rucksack, who was refused entry into a restricted area before the 1st bomb went off. Said person pulled up his hood and walked off.

a tourist?
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »

which one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lock your door and close your curtains.

:(

I know.. I don't think the press help, but then we can't believe we live in a world where everything is dandy.

Touch wood, we're very lucky.

Or how about unlock your doors and open your curtains, and show those that would try and instill fear and dread that we will go about our business as normal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always shrapnel, confined spaces increase the speed and the damage big time, it is not nice.

There are always fragments - not always "shrapnel".

Technically - shrapnel has to be specifically included in the device for effect...like the ballbearings in the head of a WWII German stick grenade as opposed to the case of a British Mills Bomb or U.S. grenade being designed to fragment ;)
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me want to head into town all the more, the terrorists get me, there will be more following after me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course not. There is currently zero evidence pointing to any group or individual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. No link has been established towards any terrorist group or individuals whatsoever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does IRA stand for?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Of course not. There is currently zero evidence pointing to any group or individual.

Thought so.

I was confused why the IRA have even been mentioned at all, what with no group or individual currently being held accountable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    What does IRA stand for?

Ireland's royalist association
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does IRA stand for?

Seriously???
This discussion has been closed.