Options

What can be done to improve ITV?

i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
Forum Member
Its revenues may be up but it's share of audience continues to decline, has ITV lost the will to make programmes, filling every gap with yet another repeat of You've Been Framed. It has high profile shows but below them there seems to be a massive gap in their schedules.
...a trading statement on Thursday confirmed that ITV’s onscreen success continues to fade, with its share of television viewing falling 3 per cent in the first four months of 2015.

Its main channel, ITV, has been the worst performer, with audience share down 6 per cent over that period, despite high-profile shows such as Broadchurch and Britain's Got Talent.

Adam Crozier, chief executive, said that improving viewing figures was “a key focus”, and that the company “expect to see improvement in the second half of the year when we will have the benefit of the exclusive rights to the Rugby World Cup”.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bf1cb0f2-fa04-11e4-b432-00144feab7de.html#ixzz3aYzaW1Au

ITV said it expected advertising revenue for the first six months of the year to increase 5 per cent. That was “likely to be a source of disappointment” among investors, said analysts at Citi.

Adam Crozier's pay reached reached £8.4m in 2013. Last week shares in ITV rose just over 1 per cent to close at 257.30.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Could we see ITV slip more & more behind a paywall and possibly not bother to renew its licence in 2024?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they have a presentation problem they hire in someone from the BBC at vast expense. Admittedly this policy has not been very successful (Chiles,Bleakley,Reid,Bradbury) but they could try it with their management. Certainly the programme commissioning and scheduling departments need a complete shake-up.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put the BBC behind a paywall? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Put the BBC behind a paywall? :D

I think you've cracked it. :D
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Could we see ITV slip more & more behind a paywall and possibly not bother to renew its licence in 2024?

It already is our household. All the stuff (bar sport), we watch On Demand in HD and ad free via Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting the apparent lack of concern about ITV.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would imagine that the majority of people who watch TV, look through their TV guide for programmes they might want to see and really don't care which channel screens them. I've no loyalty to any channel.
    Whatever happens, the licence fee will be with us for some time, I've paid it for decades, so it doesn't bother me paying , other than the fact I think that the BBC is far too big, has too many channels hence the number of repeats and we don't need 24 hour TV from them. There are an increasing number of channels, so the market share will always be changing if only by small percentages.

I would suggest that TV has a decreasing appeal for those who can afford in other interests.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They do have the odd great programme such as Home Fires but its mostly rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Sack phillip schofield
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV has almost nothing that could be considered "must see" tv short of those who are high on soaps and they are fewer by the day - Corrie and Emmerdale are about about 40% down in the last 5 years. That is a decline that could be hard to stop until they reach a "low plateau" of probably 3-4 million who simply can't NOT watch! The loss of live football means they also lose the male cohort which I suspect is a smaller % of viewers than all other channels in the first 10 on the EGP.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It just doesn't seem to have the sparkle that it once did have. I think some of that is probably down to the old Broadcasting Act and when it was refranchised - losing Thames was a big loss. I suppose that the big grouping had to actually happen. There does seem to be no imagination in the programming departments. The only big hit that they have had in recent years is Downton Abbey - and that's coming to an end soon.

I suspect a big management shake-up and also in the commissioning department as well might help.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rob12770 wrote: »
    Sack phillip schofield

No he is Mr ITV. Just reduce his screen time
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    The loss of live football means they also lose the male cohort which I suspect is a smaller % of viewers than all other channels in the first 10 on the EGP.
    Yes, I doubt that ITV are too worried about blokes not watching.
    What they would be concerned about is if the people the advertisers want to sell stuff to were to stop watching. Fortunately (or possibly by design) very few products that are advertised are aimed solely at men. And they have ITV4 for that [ ref: New look: ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and CITV ] which manages maybe half a million viewers: mainly with non PL football and old Bond films
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may help if they schedule things properly. For example, putting Stars In Their Eyes on at 7pm and Thunderbirds Are Go at 8am on a Saturday proved to be idiotic (especially when the latter's first episode was shown at 5pm).

ITV need to repeat all episodes after the first Thunderbirds Are Go at 5pm on a Saturday evening. Putting a family cartoon drama on at 8am is ludicrous. Also, Stars In Their Eyes was too immature for primetime and should have been on at 9am on CITV.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    ITV has almost nothing that could be considered "must see" tv short of those who are high on soaps

Britain's Got Talent
    Saturday Night Takeaway
    I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!
    Catchphrase
    Paul O Grady's For The Love Of Dogs
    The X Factor (like it or not, it's still popular)

Just a few examples.
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may help if they schedule things properly. For example, putting Stars In Their Eyes on at 7pm and Thunderbirds Are Go at 8am on a Saturday proved to be idiotic (especially when the latter's first episode was shown at 5pm).

ITV need to repeat all episodes after the first Thunderbirds Are Go at 5pm on a Saturday evening. Putting a family cartoon drama on at 8am is ludicrous. Also, Stars In Their Eyes was too immature for primetime and should have been on at 9am on CITV.

Thunderbirds repeated Sun teatime from this week.
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain's Got Talent
    Saturday Night Takeaway
    I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!
    Catchphrase
    Paul O Grady's For The Love Of Dogs
    The X Factor (like it or not, it's still popular)

Just a few examples.
    Catchphrase, really?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    Thunderbirds repeated Sun teatime from this week.

Through a quick check it is just for the children these days.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe simulcast BBC One.:D

Could they do a deal with BBC News to broadcast the local programmes on ITV at the same time, surely that would count towards their obligations?:D
  • Options
    Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    As an early middle aged bloke the main ITV channel has for years had nothing apart from sport that I would be interested in. It has seemed very female orientated for 20 years.

I know there is the odd decent drama but thats it.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Through a quick check it is just for the children these days.

I've watched every episode so far and I'm 57 - and I would normally hardly ever make a point of even checking what is on ITV.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch ITV much or BBC One. I'm post the era when these two channels were such a big deal.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sell ITV to someone who cares about quality TV, ( no Sky that is not you, I believe in better).
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Maybe simulcast BBC One.:D

Could they do a deal with BBC News to broadcast the local programmes on ITV at the same time, surely that would count towards their obligations?:D

Simulcast CBBC and viewers to Jeramy Vile will not notice the difference, in fact they may think it's improved.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    The only big hit that they have had in recent years is Downton Abbey - and that's coming to an end soon.

Broadchurch did quite well also. Actually, ITV has had plenty of drama that has managed to draw millions of viewers over the past couple of years. They're definitely in a much better place than they were in the early naughties.