Food waste

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems unbelievable that all this food is being wasted every year. At least France have decided to take action by introducing a new law with regards to supermarket waste.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/26/world-leaders-urged-to-tackle-food-waste-to-save-billions-and-cut-emissions

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/22/france-to-force-big-supermarkets-to-give-away-unsold-food-to-charity

Comments

• Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced it's as big a deal as they're making out. There's plenty food for everyone and most of it will eventually be recycled anyway.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Send it out to Africa.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I am all for supermarkets donating unused food to charity the reason they do not now is due to Health and Safety rules ( via the EU) and fear of being prosecuted. Many companies used to give unused food for pig swill etc however that was banned across the board in 2001 if said food had been anywhere near a kitchen , which most waste food has been in one way or another.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Whilst I am all for supermarkets donating unused food to charity the reason they do not now is due to Health and Safety rules ( via the EU) and fear of being prosecuted. Many companies used to give unused food for pig swill etc however that was banned across the board in 2001 if said food had been anywhere near a kitchen , which most waste food has been in one way or another.

Some supermarkets add colour dye to old food to prevent being consumed by man or beast, whereas during ww2 broken razor blades were sometimes added to the swill by POWs for some unfortunate pigs.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let them eat out of date cake.